Race plastic questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 06-15-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Race plastic questions

Sharkskinz, Rennsport, or Hotbodies? Any opinions about quality, durability, and ease of fitment? Hotbodies has a special ~$590 shipped for all...Any and all opinions appreciated.

Peace

J

Last edited by fumbducker; 06-16-2004 at 1:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 4:18 AM

Re: Race plastic questions

I just put RENNSPORT on mine and everyone at the track said "damn, that is much better and thicker than _____________" Insert sharkskinz, hotbodies & Cheetah. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow if I get it all back together.

BTW, you can get a better deal on the Rennsports, they are actually cheaper than the hotbodies special and 10 times more sturdy. As far as ease of fitment, I don't think there is such a thing when it comes to race plastic. It took me about 6 hours to get it right, being my 1st. install I took my time and it came out great. As for paint, I went for the "rattle" can look (blue/Yellow). Hey, it's a track bike...right? ; )
post #3 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Tank. I'll give Rennsport another looksee.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 10:56 AM

I've been in this hunt for a few months now, and everything I have seen, read, and heard leads me to believe that HotBodies is not on par with Sharkskinz, Cheetah, and Rennsport. I have also heard great things about Armour Bodies.
post #5 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

I had MultiTech on the RC51 and was very happy with it. Not sure if they are still going though; I know they had a fire in their facility a while back. I have Hotbodies now, pretty much just because I can get a set extremely cheap with my racer discount at LP. Fitment was a real pain, but then the SV doesn't have full bodywork stock, so that might be part of it. I'd seriously consider the Rennsport. They seem to be making a real effort to constantly improve their product and make their customers happy.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #6 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 11:33 AM

I have only tried sharkskinz but have to admitt they have held up well for 3 crashes...one at a buck twenty five. They are pretty cracked up but still functional. Hotbodies are cheaper and it shows on my bros 929.
post #7 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 11:48 AM

Have heard nothing good about the Hotbodies.
post #8 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Cheetah is barely ok. Skinz is the way to go though I have no exp/ with the Renns.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #9 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBob
Cheetah is barely ok.
Though I have no firsthand experience, I've been told that Cheetah is owned by an original half-owner of Sharkskinz, and that the build process the two use is the same, resulting in very similar products.
post #10 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 12:52 PM

I know it wasn't on your list, but don't rule out ARD racing in europe. I just bought a full set and the quality was top notch (and very easy to mount)
post #11 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 2:31 PM

Or if you really want want some nice stuff......

http://www.oppracing.com/pricelists/...CBR_900_US.htm

Go for the Titanium Silver

http://www.oppracing.com/products.htm
post #12 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 7:21 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Though I have no firsthand experience, I've been told that Cheetah is owned by an original half-owner of Sharkskinz, and that the build process the two use is the same, resulting in very similar products.
I installed Cheetas on a friends bike. They are nothing like Skinz

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #13 of 32 Old 06-16-2004, 7:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. Just ordered the OPP RACING Silver Titanium...NOT! Nice stuff but a bit out of my bike budget right now. Looks like I have some homework. Thanks for all the input and the new sources.

J
post #14 of 32 Old 07-19-2004, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Any opinions on Flexi-glass? I might have an opportunity to get a decent deal on these... depending on experience with Flexi, I'm gonna go Rennsport...Thanks again for sharing your experience/opinions.

J
post #15 of 32 Old 07-20-2004, 2:30 AM

I can't answer your question directaly, but working in the boat buisness I know a bit about fiberglass and have hung a few 'glass bodyworks myself. Fit is purley the design of their mold and since building a mold is time consuming, alot of the cheaper stuff is harder to fit because the molds are not accurate. With the exception of tail sections that are relativly easy to make a plug (plug is the original product that the mold is made around), most race glass is either a copy of someones elses or the stock bodywork with mods. We call that "splashing" a mold off an existing product. You would be amazed at the number of boat builders that do this, especialy with the bottom molds that take time and money to get right, performance wise. How a 'glass bodies feels and performs is based on how it is layed up and with what materials. There are hundred, thousands acutaly, of different fiberglass cloths and mats. Different thicknesses, different weaves, bidirectional, tridirectional, mat of varying cut lengths, etc. Plus you have your other cloths like kevlar, carbon fiber, etc. Each with 100's of different styles. The resin they use mades a difference as well. Traditional fiberglass uses a polyester based resin, but like the cloths, there are many different styles, cure rates, flexabilities, etc. Then you also have your epoxy based resins as well. How nice and durable race glass ends up is based on dozens of factors from material choices to the lay up schedule (how many layers of what cloth), resin choice, to accuracy of the mold itself. So whats the point of all this, I guess that cheaper body work is cheaper because they either are using cheaper materials, fewer layers, or splashed a mold of someone elses bodyworkd and doesnt have to pay off the R&D costs. When talking to these different companies, ask them what materials they are using, how many layers, etc. That will give you domething tangable to compare each other too if you dont have the oppertunity to inspect each product first hand.

Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page