Need ideas for out of state bike purchase - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-17-2004, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Need ideas for out of state bike purchase

My buddy is thinking about buying an out of state bike which currently has less than 6,000 miles on it. The problem is California requires out of state vehicles to have at least 7,500 miles on them, otherwise you can't register them. What are the options. We could temporarily trade combo meters with my blade, but that is a PITA. We could ride like crazy for 1500 miles in 20 days before registration is required. Not a good option as he can't take the time off. We are hoping to see the bike this Saturday. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-17-2004, 11:00 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Re: Need ideas for out of state bike purchase

trade meters.

Insignificant Member
post #3 of 17 Old 06-17-2004, 11:15 PM

Reputation Power: 0

1500 miles in 20 days is nothing. You can do that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-17-2004, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

75 miles a day? No big deal.. Also, does the law require a declaration or an inspection?
post #5 of 17 Old 06-17-2004, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRVFR
75 miles a day? No big deal.. Also, does the law require a declaration or an inspection?
The law requires a declaration and an inspection where a DMV person needs to sign. How hard is it to change the combo meter? The manual states you need to remove the front fairing and tilt over sensor. It might be able to be done without removing the fairing, but I'm not positive. Most people want their Odometer changed lower, we need it higher.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 12:56 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULEWZ
The law requires a declaration and an inspection where a DMV person needs to sign. How hard is it to change the combo meter? The manual states you need to remove the front fairing and tilt over sensor. It might be able to be done without removing the fairing, but I'm not positive. Most people want their Odometer changed lower, we need it higher.

If you go to the right DMV office, the DMV person might be lazy enough and just trust your declaration. That's what happened to my bro when he registered his ZRX from NV. He bought it brand new from Vegas, but the DMV didn't even bother inspecting his ride.

I think he went to the DMV office on Sherman Way, just East of DeSoto.

Edit--I just talked to my brother, and on the form, there's a box that states "Not Actual Mileage", and he checked that. I'm not sure what happens if you do that, but that's how he registered his brand new out of state bike in CA.

Last edited by arndogg; 06-18-2004 at 1:02 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 1:14 AM

" the bike was wrecked and the odo replaced 6000 miles ago..."
post #8 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 3:02 AM

Most of the time I wouldn't suggest breaking the law but CA is just ridiculous as I just learned. I would ask the owner to give you a signed bill of sale without the date and mileage filled in, you could update it after 20 days and carry the new "bill of Sale" as long as you need to get to 7500 miles.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arndogg
I just talked to my brother, and on the form, there's a box that states "Not Actual Mileage", and he checked that. I'm not sure what happens if you do that, but that's how he registered his brand new out of state bike in CA.
I kind of like that idea. We will probably be leaving today at 5:00pm and stay the night in Phoenix. Then we will meet up with the seller and have a look see. If all is good and the price is agreeable, then we will head over to the sellers credit union and get the bike paid off. It's sometimes hard dealing with bikes without a title in hand.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I kind of like that idea. We will probably be leaving today at 5:00pm and stay the night in Phoenix. Then we will meet up with the seller and have a look see. If all is good and the price is agreeable, then we will head over to the sellers credit union and get the bike paid off. It's sometimes hard dealing with bikes without a title in hand.
I sold the XX like that. I called the bank ahead of time so they would have the title there (the titles are not usually kept at the branch, so you may want to confirm they will have the title there). The buyer had a cashiers' check made out to the bank for the amount of the payoff, and another cashiers' check made out to me for the difference between the selling price and the payoff. Went smoothly.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 12:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie

Quote:
My buddy is thinking about buying an out of state bike which currently has less than 6,000 miles on it. The problem is California requires out of state vehicles to have at least 7,500 miles on them, otherwise you can't register them. What are the options. We could temporarily trade combo meters with my blade, but that is a PITA. We could ride like crazy for 1500 miles in 20 days before registration is required. Not a good option as he can't take the time off. We are hoping to see the bike this Saturday. Any ideas?
You can borrow mine it has 18 k on it i think... Mine is a race bike so i wont be missing any down street time

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 12:48 PM

I sold my bike to a rider in SoCal last November. It had far less than 7500 miles on it (far less than half that actually), and I don't think he had any problem registering it. He had his banker talk with mine and they arranged everything for the title transfer, so our transfer in Vegas was absolutely painless.
He posts here on occasion with the username Powershift, so you could PM him to ask what he did.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 1:06 PM Thread Starter

Great advice from all of you. Thanx. The seller is suppose to set up the credit union paperwork details. My buddy is taking care of transportation and the beer. I'm sure he will post up here once the deal is made and he is a proud new Fireblade owner. He got hooked when he rode mine.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 1:48 PM

Why bother?

Is there really that much difference between the 49 state and the calif model? The horsepower difference is maybe 2. Better off with a PCIII and a good tuneup, possibly a pipe.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-18-2004, 3:20 PM
Fig

Re: Why bother?

Why doesn't he ride it home, or you for him. 1500 miles is nothing. Spend the few weekends between now and then getting to know her. Especially since one of them is the Fourth, and should be a long weekend..
Fig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page