SoCal Arata/pc3 Before and After Dynos - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-18-2004, 1:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

SoCal Arata/pc3 Before and After Dynos

Ok, before you ask, NO, I do not have a scan of the dynos and do not know how to post. I just came back from the shop and have the dynos in my hand for my 1000rr, before and after the Arata/pc3 and map, and comparing the bike to other bikes--'04 R1 and '03 Gixxer 1k.

I will ask the shop to give me a CD of the info so it can be posted later.

Also, please note that this is a stingy dyno, so the absolute #s are always lower. However, it is the relative #s that are important.

RESULTS:

1000rr Stock, best run of 3: SAE 140.16rwhp (1.0cf); SAE 71.16rwtrq

1000rr w/ Arata, Pc3usb and Map: SAE 149.57rwhp (0.99cf)(one run, of three, hit 150.23, but curve was not as smooth); SAE 73.34rwtrq

'04 R1 w/full Akra Race, pciii and Map: SAE 153.55 (cf 1.01), with the only part of the power curve above the 1000rr from 11,800rpms--below everwhere else.

'03 Gixxer 1k w/full Akra, K & N pciii and Map: SAE 147.90 (cf 1.0)

Stock Air/fuel on the 1000rr was totally flat at about 14.8; new air/fuel is set at 13.

So there you have it! Gains of SAE 9.4rwhp and 2.2rwtrq. The gains are across the range and consistent with what Sook posted in another thread. From 6,000rpms up the gain gap is especially large.

It appears that the stock heat shields/turn signal piece/fender will fit around the pipe and I will use this until I see an undertail I really like.

The shop still has the bike to add tires, brake lines, sliders, etc., so I do not have any riding impressions yet. I suspect that with the lessened weight and added power, it will feel slightly lighter and will pull harder.

As it turns out, my OEM Bridgestone rear tire had a staple in it during the dyno. I am having the tires switched to Pirelli Diablo Corsas and re-run for at least one run on the dyno. While some of the mags stated that the Pirellis were lighter and grippier and yielded better dyno #s, I am not expecting big changes. If there are changes, then I will post them!

Update: The shop re-ran the dyno (about SAE 152rwhp), but had the WRONG tires on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (put on Pirelli Diablos when the Diablo Corsas were clearly specified on the work order and paid for). I believe that the Diablos are lower in the Pirelli food chain and heavier; they will swap them out tuesday.

I also saw a R1 with the Arata on it--looks great! The R1 I think dynoed at 156rwhp, but am not sure if it is SAE or STD (which reads higher). As noted above, the R1 power curve is below the 1000rr for the entire range, except at 11,800rpms where the R1 has a slight power bubble above the 1000rr.

Bottom Line: All of these bikes are awesome and silly fast--even stock!

Last edited by Mako; 06-20-2004 at 1:36 PM. Reason: New Development
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2004, 3:47 PM

Re: SoCal Arata/pc3 Before and After Dynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
So there you have it! Gains of SAE 9.4rwhp and 2.2rwtrq.

No offense, but it doesn't seem very cost effective considering the exhaust is what, $1600 + ~$300 for a Power Commander + a custom dyno tune ~$200+. 10rwhp for over $2000.

Just my $.02.

Btw - I'm still sporting the stock exhaust on my bike after 2+ years.......
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2004, 8:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

But like I said, 10 h.p on this bike may be alot of power compared to other systems, and the price of the systems is because of the patented headers. It's material wise, no more expensive to make than the 600RR system, but the header design, Honda patented, and must be paid for. The other systems will be the same, but may have less, or more power. Won't know until we start seeing them on bikes and dyno'd. I must say, I was dissapointed, as I was expecting 10-15 from the system and then another 2-5 mapping. BUT each bike is different and responds differently to the headers being replaced. 929 and 954 are a good example. $700 (AUS) for a pipe on the 929 for no less than 5 h.p, but same $'s on the 954 and you may even lose 1 or 2. Didn't stop people putting pipes on their 954 now though did it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2004, 2:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRGuy
No offense, but it doesn't seem very cost effective considering the exhaust is what, $1600 + ~$300 for a Power Commander + a custom dyno tune ~$200+. 10rwhp for over $2000.

Just my $.02.

Btw - I'm still sporting the stock exhaust on my bike after 2+ years.......
No getting around it, it is expensive! If you are familar with high performance machines--bikes, cars, boats, etc.--you will know there is no "free lunch" in terms of adding power to a stock, new, high-performance machine. BMW cars are a good example. You will see that there if very little power left in a M3 by the factory. The 1000rr is no exception. A gain of a real SAE 10rwhp over a broad range IS noticeable (faster reving, harder pulling, better sound), but the bike is plenty fast stock.

It would be great if we could all spend $50 on an air filter and add 50 hp, but it is not to be. I think if you examine the Honda 1000rr superbike you will see that they spent about $245k more on the bike to get it to 200+rwhp.

Nevertheless, your point is well taken.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2004, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako

The shop still has the bike to add tires, brake lines, sliders, etc., so I do not have any riding impressions yet. I suspect that with the lessened weight and added power, it will feel slightly lighter and will pull harder.

Out of curosity why are you get new brake lines? The brakes on the blade are awesome. Are you racing?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-20-2004, 1:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_929
Out of curosity why are you get new brake lines? The brakes on the blade are awesome. Are you racing?
The brake lines were replaced with SS Carbon Fiber Look lines because it apparently helps with brake fade and feel, is not a big ticket item and looks good.

While I do participate in track days (the only real place to go fast), I do not "race."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page