Cbr1000RR Brake Pads - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2004, 3:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Cbr1000RR Brake Pads

Well today I modifed the 600rr pads to fit the 1000rr.

Don't know how many of you have tried to get pads for the bike buy I have had no luck. So I modified 600rr pads.

Pics enclosed. Basically I lined up the pads, marked the new holes, drilled out and elongated the holes and ground off extra metal. Dropped right in. I hand fit each one to its position to be sure that there was adequate play and that the pad backing plate is able to slide forward to contact the caliper body ( this is only a 1/16 th of an inch or so, but if the pads can't slide to contact the caliper body, then the retaining bolts take all the braking force ( for about a quarter second until they bend forward.)

Everything lines up and wil take it out today and see if they work.

Note: This mod is not factory approved and may result in sudden and permanent decelleration from high speed. Proceed at your own risk and I am not responsible if you have a problem.

Ernie
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0014.JPG‎   DSCF0016.JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2004, 4:35 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Re: Cbr1000RR Brake Pads

Good deal ernie. I certainly hope everything works out in your favor. What is the story with not being able to find replacement pads for the thing?

Insignificant Member
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2004, 5:37 PM Thread Starter

Replacements:

Not on the market yet. EBC # for the race pads is GFA 390HH still waiting. Galfer not out yet either. EBC says soon.

I just got back from riding the bike. Very good response from the modified Dunlopad HHs. A bit grabbier and more linear than the stock pads. This is a style I am comfortable with, I like to feel the brakes come on when I squeeze the lever, the stock pads were too soft and vague for me.

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie; 06-19-2004 at 8:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2004, 8:42 AM

I picked up Galfer HH pads from Indy Superbikes along with braded lines during the AMA races at Road America 6/5. So far I'm very happy with them. http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php

Modifying brake pads to fit just scares me even though they may be fine, personally I would not do it.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2004, 9:01 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Had you worn out the original set or you just didn't like the feel

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2004, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
They were almost to the end of the wear lines at 2500 miles. Ulrich from Roadracing World said he used up a set in one track day. The stock pads are really soft and I got them to fade...

The 600 rr pads are almost drop ins, but if you use the stock holes you have to grind off the bottom of the pads a bit as they stick down and hit the rotor buttons.

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie; 06-20-2004 at 11:05 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2004, 11:55 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

The amount of brake pad dust/run off thats getting all over my bike I'm not surprised they run out pretty quick. I'm only at about 2300km so I should be able to last until the pads are more reddily available, not that I've checked if they are. Also the brake lines tend to develop slack really quickly so they might be an indication of how much wear is happening.

In regards to parts for the 1000RR, I have been told by my dealer that there isn't even a parts catalog available yet for the Aussie 1000RR, nor microfiche due to a stuff up. And without that they aren't willing to stick their necks out to get parts for me. Bit of a bugger, I had a hard enough time convincing them to order in the Workshop Manual but that is sitting waiting for me so I might have better luck with my next visit.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
The stock brakes were fine, I bought braded lines to improve feel and since he gave me a great price on the pads I bought them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page