1000RR/Corsa Pressures?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-20-2004, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1000RR/Corsa Pressures??

I have had the front end slide on me 3 times now. The first 2 were slower off the gas corners, and I was able to stand it up with the throttle. Last nights was on an Interstate on ramp (that is almost a 360) and right where it tightens up at the end where you are building good speed. She did the shuffle.

My pressures are 34F and 39R, I have played with lower but it did not seem to stick as well in the twisties. I am beginning to tweak on the suspension, but so far I am very near stock settings.

All 3 times I have had my inside cheek off the seat, and its not like I'm dragging the pegs anyway.

Any advice will be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-20-2004, 10:59 AM

Re: 1000RR/Corsa Pressures??

I certainly would not run 39 in the rear, way too high for me. I have heard the Corsas like 34 psi, can not verify. I run 32-34 on the street, but not on Corsas. The first thought that came to mind was how warm the tires were. Cold tires slide.

The second thought was: "A lot more people crash going fast through slow corners than going fast through fast corners."

Nicky Hayden and I go through turn eleven at Laguna at the same speed
( maybe 45-50, nobody goes faster than that.). He goes a lot faster through turn one than I do.

O, I did read in one of the mags that the reviewer did not like the Corsas on the RR and preferred the Stones.

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie; 06-20-2004 at 11:00 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-20-2004, 11:09 AM

I've been running 31/31 and have absolutely no problem. The lower pressures work well on the street because it's nearly impossible to overheat them in the area where I live (straight roads and plenty of cops) and they warm up quicker. Those that push Corsas hard at the track run 34/36 frt/rear, the higher pressures keep the tire from overheating and destroying itself.

That being said, your front end tuck may be related to tire temp, or possibly a slick spot on the road, especially freeway ramps. If you were off the gas past the apex carrying decent lean angle, I'm not surprised the front wanted to tuck. No tire will save you under those conditions.

If you're not doing it already, it sounds like you need to take it to the track. The street is no place to test the limits of tire adhesion.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-20-2004, 11:15 AM

Oh, just was reading a string on weight, and I looked at your pic Smitty.

If you weigh 200 pounds or so, and you have been braking and then turning in, or the front suspension is compressed, and you have stock springs, you have probably used all the travel and there is no suspension left. That could be why the front is sliding. Those stock springs are not fit for big riders, the are way too soft.

Ernie
post #5 of 9 Old 06-21-2004, 9:31 PM

Bidwell your smoking something. "Those that push Corsas hard at the track run 34/36 frt/rear, the higher pressures keep the tire from overheating and destroying itself." more like 32/32. Although i've only spent one day at the track with corsa's I could have told you better info that this in 3 laps. the corsa's heat up way fast. I can't imagine you had any cold tire issues.Also bidwell, i guess you plan on replacing tires very often, if you rid around on the street at 31/31. sure the roads may be straight, but you will stress out your tires and square them off very fast. I took the mini "corkscrew" at VIR many many times off the gas at a decent pace(in the rain even) and never had the front end slip on me. if you're running on the street use the pirrelli recommended psi levels.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-21-2004, 9:52 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Ride slower on the street
post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2004, 10:51 PM

Reputation Power: 18

+1 LOL

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2004, 11:27 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Link on tire pressure

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #9 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 12:48 AM

Good link, thanks...

Ernie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page