Worth it to Have Forks and Shock Redone? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 2:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Worth it to Have Forks and Shock Redone?

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:17 pm Post subject: Worthwhile to Change Fork and Shock Springs and Valving?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If possible, I would appreciate some advice on suspension mods.

My bike just got the Arata, pc3 map and brake lines.

The same shop that did the work wants to send the bike to a race shop gratis for the race shop to develop a kit that re-does the forks and rear shock (springs, valves, etc.). So far, the only thing I have done for the suspension is to have the sag set (I am 5'11", 200lbs).

I am a bit leary about releasing my bike for this new adventure. I am afraid the ride/suspension geometry will be destroyed and I will end up with a bike that does not work as well.

My riding is about 80%+ canyons and street, and 20% track days, and while not a rank beginner, I am not an expert track rider.

Any advice on whether to allow the forks and shock to be redone?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 2:50 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Worth it to Have Forks and Shock Redone?

If the suspension changes are done professionally by a reputable suspension tuner it will transform you bike.

Once again I have read that the CBR1000RR suffers the same fate as the previous 954RR in that the front is too soft and the rear is too hard.

Setting up the bike with the correct springs and revalving/shimming to suit will inmprove the stability and all round handling performance. It turned my 954 into something I wanted to physically bash the hell out of to a rideable bike that I can enjoy.

Basically, stock suspension sucks dog balls!
post #3 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 6:43 AM

Reputation Power: 31

FuTanT is right. Suspension work is the best thing you can do. I'm not sure I'd want to be the guinea pig, though. Personally, I'd send the forks to Dan Kyle and get an Ohlins rear shock. That's what I did with my 929.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 12:27 PM

Suspension should be the FIRST UPGRADE on ANY BIKE, fireblades especially. You don't have to go out and buy an Ohlins or Penske, but it if you have the $$$, do it.

Front forks can be done by Dan Kyle, Lindemann and even yourself if you have some mechanical know how. I changed the springs and oil in my forks and it took about an hour. I didn't want to spend the money for a complete rebuild on my forks. I have been on a set of Kyle re-worked forks and haven't noticed a huge difference in mine vs. his. Not saying I do better work, but I couldn't really tell a huge difference. I did notice a huge difference with my buddies bike who had the Ohlins shock, DAMN, what a difference.

As for rear shocks, rebuilding one is around $400, I upgraded the spring only for $100 to see if it would make a difference, it did. However, if you are going to spend $400 to get the rear shock reworked, you might as well save up the cash for a Penske ($700) or an Ohlins ($900).

Last edited by Tank69; 06-22-2004 at 5:20 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 5:13 PM

Yes, absloutely.

DK forks, an Ohlins/Penske rear, and you'll practically have a new and more capable bike.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 6:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I probably was not as clear as I should have been.

The shop is not offering an Ohlins shock/fork, etc. Instead, they want the bike to re-spring and re-valve the stock 1000rr suspension to develop a kit for the bike. This is apparently a race outfit. No cost to me. I am just not sure about being the guinea pig on a new setup and do not want to really kill the existing performance.

I will talk to the race shop and see what they have to say!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 6:58 PM

Reputation Power: 20

No cost? sign me up.

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #8 of 9 Old 06-22-2004, 7:35 PM

Hi guys.

I've just picked up my 1000RR. Only put 300ks on it but I have found the suspension in std settings to be very uncomfortable. The front feels too soft and the rear, well ask my kidneys. I'm suffering rib aches two days after my first decent ride on rough roads.

I've been tinkering with the suspension settings hoping to make it a little better. I weigh 85kgs. That's about 185lbs. So far I've dropped the rear preload down to pos 3 (1 softer than std) and reduced the compression down 4 clicks from std. This has improved the rear end. Up front I've increased the preload by one and a half turns.

I found that the front end dives fairly heavily under brakes, but I get a reasonable amount of jarring from the front end when riding rough roads. This morning I tried reducing the compression damping by 1 turn. Not sure I like it. I may have to try increasing the compression damping and check if the jarring gets worse.

I have found that the small changes I have made have given me a little more confidence and comfort.

On a smooth road this bike absolutely rocks. I wouldn't like to spend too much money on suspension work without giving the std equipment some attention. If I was racing the thing, I would think differently.

Any suggestions for rough road set ups would be most appreciated.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-23-2004, 2:10 AM

As stated, tires and suspension are the best mods you can do to your bike.
Tom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page