Todays Project......Polished Lip - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 1:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Todays Project......Polished Lip

It was storming most of the day so I decide to start polishing the lips on my wheels. It got to late and I ran outta gas so I have the left side of the front wheel to do then I’ll break out the polish. Hopefully I can get some riding in before all the cookouts begin….

I guess painting it is next …..(since everyone is breaking out the fresh new paint jobs)
Attached Thumbnails
rear wheel (2).JPG‎   Lovett's Bike  (2).JPG‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 4:10 AM
Zop

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to Zop
Re: Todays Project......Polished Lip

That looks good. I'm thinking of doing mine.
How long did it take and what did you use????

Yes it's Fast. No you can't ride it.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 9:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zop
That looks good. I'm thinking of doing mine.
How long did it take and what did you use????

I used aircraft stripper, a paint brush, various plastic scrapers, 3 Pepsi’s , a big cup of water, a few rags, steel wool, aluminum polish , soft t cloths or a polishing wheel attachment and drill. Oh yeah and some tequila……….

Get an early just on the project.... (Some people say you should do this with the wheels off the bike)

Drink the 1st Pepsi then cut the can so you have something to place the aircraft stripper in or you can use a stainless steel bowl, if no one in your house will object to it.

You going to apply the stripper to either both side of one wheel or on one side of each. The logic is that it takes the stripper a few minutes to set up so when you working on one wheel the stripper is setting in a portion of the other one.

Dip the stripper out with the paintbrush and glob in on a section of the wheel
I’d say about 8 to 10 inches (Identify the ridge in the wheel that aligns with the spokes and avoid get stripper past this point. The one on the rear is easy to locate and font you have to feel the curve)

After you wait several minutes use the scraper to begin removing the paint you first pass no to much paint is going to come off but as you continue applying the stripper is gets under the paint from the exposed areas and will star to lift a little easier. The scraper will play the biggest role in this task the stiffer the scrapper the better off you are.

Continue the process of jumping back and forth applying scraper and removing it. As you begin to remove the majority of the paint in each area use the steel wool to remove the fine piece left and also to maintain the ridge and the center. (again the scrapers will make or break this project , I actually used a handle from a sponge paint brush to get the hard to reach areas. DO NOT thing of using a sponge paint brush to apply the stripper)

The front wheel are a bitch because the rotors are in the way, the good new is that the paint seemed to come off the font wheel easier so make sure you give the stripper a lot of time to soak in.

Once you gotten the majority (90% +)of the wheels cleaned up apply the stripper to as much of the wheels as you can reach , the sit and them run threw with steel wool for the final cleaning.

Once you finished cleaning the wheels you need to grab the hose and spray down your wheels and TIRES you don’t want this **** to set up on them too long

Let dry and polish…….

Note: The other two Pepsi’s and water are to be used at you discretion but the tequila is clearly for the end of the project.

All in all you're probably lookin' at 3hours of work +/-
Attached Thumbnails
Ridge at wheel.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 10:28 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Nice job mate,
You could also try taping off the areas you dont want the stripper to contact just in case u accidently splash it onto the spokes. But instead of the aluminium polish at the end, i woulda used tripoli compound on a sisal buff, then white rouge compound on a loose section buff for an even better shine. I got pics of this off my old bike somewhere, looks alot better than a "mothers" finish IMO and lasts longer too..
post #5 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLJahz
Nice job mate,
You could also try taping off the areas you dont want the stripper to contact just in case u accidently splash it onto the spokes. But instead of the aluminium polish at the end, i woulda used tripoli compound on a sisal buff, then white rouge compound on a loose section buff for an even better shine. I got pics of this off my old bike somewhere, looks alot better than a "mothers" finish IMO and lasts longer too..
Thanks,I looked at the making tape in one of my boxes and was like ....nah...

This tripoli compound you speak of .......where could i get my hand some(never heard of it).
post #6 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 12:19 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

if you take the wheels off it will save you a great deal of time over all. I did this on my 929.

http://bikes.ruin.org/images/kewl/CBR929/9293.jpg

Team Honda - well sorta...

Last edited by showmethebombs; 07-04-2004 at 12:20 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 12:46 PM
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouLJahz
Nice job mate,

Just a word of warning: I attempted the same project on my 929 and took the time to tape up the spokes and center line but the aircraft stripper got underneath the tape and ruined the paint there. I ended up stripping the whole wheel because I had this shitty looking jagged paint line around the center line of the rims. I used blue painters tape.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD
Just a word of warning: I attempted the same project on my 929 and took the time to tape up the spokes and center line but the aircraft stripper got underneath the tape and ruined the paint there. I ended up stripping the whole wheel because I had this shitty looking jagged paint line around the center line of the rims. I used blue painters tape.
that happen to same to me, but my wasnt that bad to polish the whole wheel, i had a few spot and there, but it aint that bad
post #9 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 6:16 PM

And what if stripper gets onto the rubber?!
post #10 of 14 Old 07-04-2004, 6:26 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
And what if stripper gets onto the rubber?!
I figured you were a bareback kinda guy....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #11 of 14 Old 07-05-2004, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmethebombs
if you take the wheels off it will save you a great deal of time over all. I did this on my 929.

http://bikes.ruin.org/images/kewl/CBR929/9293.jpg
What method did you use? That looks pretty darn cool.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-05-2004, 3:24 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929_Nupe
Thanks,I looked at the making tape in one of my boxes and was like ....nah...

This tripoli compound you speak of .......where could i get my hand some(never heard of it).
Goto ur local hardware store and look in the tool section. Or as the bloke where their metal poloshing compound is. Its like a brown block of clay. Also get the white rouge which is like a white block of clay, guess u figured that one out eh?

If ur goin down this path make sure u get the sisal buff and loose section buff. Do a search in google for tripoli and u'll find heaps about it
heres my pictures, goto the 91 FZR album and u'll see the bits i polished. the wheels came out real well.
http://community.webshots.com/user/souljahzfzr

Also about that masking tape, make sure u get the 3M kind and put more than 1 layer. I used 4 layers of it on my spokes and upper lip and it didnt seep through.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-05-2004, 9:38 PM

Reputation Power: 21

I did my last bike like that and will never do it again due to the high maintenance. Every time it got wet, it spotted badly. Mother's mag and alluminum polish will give it that chrome look. I taped mine up but that was on silver wheels. Some of the stripper got on the middle portion but it really wasn't that noticible on silver wheels.

Last edited by smkeatr; 07-05-2004 at 9:39 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-05-2004, 9:49 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash929
What method did you use? That looks pretty darn cool.

I took the wheels off over the winter. I bought a gallon of aircraft paint stripper..and painted it on with a brush (one direction only is what the directions said ). All the paint comes right off pretty easy...there are some areas that the paint sticks, and i just used an old tooth brush with the stripper on those areas. then once the paint is off, rinse the wheels off with warm water and a clean cotton rag. Then use mothers polish and a cotton cloth to polish, and another to wipe off. then wax the heck out of them. I never used anything abrasive....there is no need. you can see the spokes are cast, I just painted them later on to see the black spokes, I trully liked the look of the plain cast and polished lips better though.

I got the stripper on the tires...no biggie. But I was getting new rubber anyway...far as I could see it did nothing to the rubber. (i just washed the tires off when I was done, and scrubbed them with a rag.)

I have used an air sander and polished rims before too...but its a lot of work, and not as much payoff.

Team Honda - well sorta...

Last edited by showmethebombs; 07-05-2004 at 9:53 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page