Proper Tire for track-day! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-04-2004, 9:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Proper Tire for track-day!

Any suggestions for the best tire set for track-day, for an '03 954. I've used stock michelins and pirelli diablos on the street, and wondering if the Dunlop 208's are a good choice, and what compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-05-2004, 4:58 AM

Re: Proper Tire for track-day!

There is a brand new 208 been released over here called the D208RR. It uses the same compound and tread pattern as the D208GP race tyre, but on the D208 street carcass. You should get nearly the grip of the race version, but with better stability and warm-up. Thats the theory

I'm pretty happy with the Diablo Corsas I'm running right now too. Warmed up in two laps, good progressive grip and lots of feedback = confidence.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-05-2004, 9:21 AM

Reputation Power: 31

The Pirelli Diablo Corsa is a tire made specifically for a combo of track days and street riding...it's rated for 70% track use, 30% street use. Many of us use them and like 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-05-2004, 9:34 AM

I used the Dunlop 208ZR's (street version) last year. I found that they wore more quickly than the Diablo Corsas on the track. The Dunlops got chewed up more quickly (on the same track) than the Diablo Corsas. I prefer the Diablo Corsas as the result. They're also good in the rain as are the D208zr's. They both stick well too.

The only way you're going to know if you like or dislike a tire is to give them a try. They're not bad tires by any means and you may find you really like them.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-05-2004, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gotta agree with the Diablo Corsa advice. Very predictable grip and response on both road and track. Many riders will throw on a new set of tires they are unfamiliar with just before they do a track day. IMO it makes more sense to go with something you are familiar and comfortable with. I'll go with the Pirellis until they stop making them.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-05-2004, 11:43 AM

Very happy w/ the Pirelli's on the track. I'm going to try the Dunlops next, mostly just b/c I'm getting a set at a discount.

I think if you are trying to learn as much as you can, it is good to try different brands of tire just to get the experience w/ how each feels and reacts.

HD
post #7 of 12 Old 07-05-2004, 2:15 PM

Another vote for Diablo Corsas here. They warm quickly, stick like glue, and inspire confidence. Tread life is better than I expected, too, for such a soft tire.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-05-2004, 4:24 PM

I've been using Rennsports and cannot say enough good about them, the only downside being price and longetivity. It's quite easy to tear up a set in two or a max of three days depending on how hard you ride, the track surface, suspension set up, etc. I've heard the Diablo Corsas offer 98% of the grip of a DOT with longer tire life, and are not as prone to heat cycle but have never tried them on the track. What I have seen however are riders running faster lap times than me by a few seconds using DCs with no issue, so the message is pretty clear: I'm buying capability that's not needed just yet. Bottom line, The Pirelli DCs are the hot ticket for the vast majority of track riders.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-05-2004, 4:43 PM
SPEED

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy74
Any suggestions for the best tire set for track-day, for an '03 954. I've used stock michelins and pirelli diablos on the street, and wondering if the Dunlop 208's are a good choice, and what compound.
I'm guessing that since you are asking....it is your first track day .

First off, I'd like to know how hard you ride...Do you slam the bike into corners? Do you throttle hard coming out? For me, the Diablo Corsas are a very awesome tire, but can be spun up if you hammer the throttle hard on a liter bike. I think it's always best to have a tire that will give you more grip than you may need, so tire confidence won't be much of a factor.

On the track you'll most likely be pushing harder than normal.

My favorite track tire is Dunlop's 208GP. Next is Pirelli's Supercorsa. I just tried out the new Bridgestone 002 tire for a little over half a track day at Grattan, and so far it's an awesome tire that can be had for cheap (until they figure enough people like them, then they will surely go up in price).

One more note about the Diablo Corsas....they wear really even, they are hard to shag, and they were made to run at higher pressures that most people think for optimum performance.

Be sure to always take the time to warm up all tires a couple laps before you rail on them.

Hope this helps you a little .

SPEED.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-06-2004, 6:29 PM

I use the Diablo Corsas for street and track use and love them... I generally run a track day pace faster than 90% of the street riders, but slower than 90% of the racers... I know of a few people who lap quicker than a novice race pace and don't have any trouble with the DC's... I tend to get 3 track days out of a set and then throw them on my street bike for several hundred miles of street use...

- BA
post #11 of 12 Old 07-07-2004, 2:18 AM

Reputation Power: 19

I give the DC's two thumbs up. Used them on two track days so far. I'm a fan.

That was the best race I have ever seeen....
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2005, 4:21 PM

Reputation Power: 16

its an old post... but I should add my positive feedback about the DCs, great tires for track days, did two sessions last week and I can manage a couple more I guess. 34fr-33r, they wear fantastic, plus I had no dramas no matter bike handling etc
s..

dream you will live forever, live like you will die today

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page