Have my MSF class this week! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 2:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Have my MSF class this week!

wish me luck guys......
question though...do any of you think my 929 is kinda drastic for my first bike? just wanted some feedback on it........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 2:51 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: Have my MSF class this week!

There are quite a few members here who claim their 929/954 to be their first bike. As long as you respect the bike, be it a liter bike or a 250cc Ninja, you should be fine. Keep in mind that it is less expensive to crash a smaller bike than something like a 929.

Myself, I started on a used CBR600F3.I had that for 5 yrears before I bought the 'blade in 2001. Of course, I was a starving student up until then.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 8:27 AM

I agree with Arndogg. You must respect the power that these machines have and know your own limitations. Ride within your own abilities. My 954 was the first bike I had owned in over 17 years. It took serveral months before I felt comfortable with the machine. Even now, 7 months after having it, I still get nervous riding in certain conditions.

Have fun and ride as much as you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 8:48 AM

My 929 is my 1st bike......just remember one thing EASY ON THE THROTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's nothing like that lilí 250 at the MSF course.

There is no shame is riding up and down the street just getting acclimated make sure you feel comfortable that you can make the bike do what you want it to do before you hit the streets. Oh yeah and practice all the stuff you learn at the course...find you a big open parking lot to work in.
post #5 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 8:49 AM

oh yeah...good luck
post #6 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 9:14 AM

Yeah just be careful. My friend is MSF instructor and he had a kid that was taking his class a month ago. The Kid was 17 with a new R1 in the garage at home, he passed the class and went on to kill himself a week later. Who knows what happened but just like everyone else said respect the bike.
post #7 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrugby09
Yeah just be careful. My friend is MSF instructor and he had a kid that was taking his class a month ago. The Kid was 17 with a new R1 in the garage at home, he passed the class and went on to kill himself a week later. Who knows what happened but just like everyone else said respect the bike.

Don't tell him that.......He's headed outside righ now to put a For Sale sign on bike
post #8 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929_Nupe
Don't tell him that.......He's headed outside righ now to put a For Sale sign on bike
Good, that is too much bike for a 1st timer. I wouldn't get anything bigger than a 600. Still big enough for the macho thing, but a little more tame than a liter class bike. Far too many young people buy liter class bikes and crash hard. Can it be done, yes. Is it the best choice, no. I actually believe it will take longer to learn to ride well on a big bike than a smaller one. JM2C
post #9 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 11:42 AM

Reputation Power: 26

I've seen WAY too many bikes in the insurance pools with very low miles on them. That tells me that the previous owner was in over their head. Only you know what's best for yourself. As long as you learn at your own pace and be patient you should be ok.
post #10 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Im going to do that right when i get home!!!
Alot of people are saying that i actually do have a big bike for my first one and they question it like "why do you have that? isnt it too much bike?" I figure like others are saying watch the throttle and respect the bike....thats all i can do right.....A buddy of mine actually made a good point and said the reason its good to get a big bike for a first timer is because i wont screw around on it because i know what its capable of doing if i eat it.....in the other case if i got a smaller one, i would just want to open it up and try to do every stunt as possible....id rather stick with the bigger bike...=D......but i appreciate the opinions on this thread....thanks again guys!!
post #11 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 12:55 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Good choice in taking the MSF. Just take it slow the 929 power can get away from a new rider quickly. Just don't ride over your head

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844
post #12 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 1:05 PM

When I went from the 125cc's at the MSF course to a GS500, my first bike, I thought it was scary fast. I can't even imagine starting on one with triple the horsepower. One nice thing about a smaller bike is that it makes you FEEL like you're going fast, because they rev high easily and vibrate. On a 929 you can be going 70 and feel like you're putting down the road.

I would highly recommend practicing emergency braking. If you're going to get a fast bike at least be able to stop quickly without panicking.
post #13 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929_Nupe
My 929 is my 1st bike......just remember one thing EASY ON THE THROTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's nothing like that lilí 250 at the MSF course.

There is no shame is riding up and down the street just getting acclimated make sure you feel comfortable that you can make the bike do what you want it to do before you hit the streets. Oh yeah and practice all the stuff you learn at the course...find you a big open parking lot to work in.
I dropped my first bike a few times while U-turning in the first 3 days I got it. Be really careful here, dropping a sportbike will cause many hundreds of dollars worth of damage.
post #14 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian48130
I dropped my first bike a few times while U-turning in the first 3 days I got it. Be really careful here, dropping a sportbike will cause many hundreds of dollars worth of damage.

Good point......
Outkast.....buy stock in frame sliders and replacement mirrors
post #15 of 39 Old 07-07-2004, 1:30 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkastxleo
A buddy of mine actually made a good point and said the reason its good to get a big bike for a first timer is because i wont screw around on it because i know what its capable of doing if i eat it.....in the other case if i got a smaller one, i would just want to open it up and try to do every stunt as possible....
Keep telling yourself that. This is what will really happen. You will twist the throttle to keep up with your buddies, then overcook the corner due to lack of experience, and stand the bike up. Hopefully there will not be a car coming the opposite way. If stunting is in your brain, then you will do it no matter what bike you own. Good luck and I hope you wear more than jeans and a wife beater.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page