Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-07-2004, 3:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid Question

Is anyone familiar with Motul RBF600 brake fluid? I have been using it for a few years now. I think RBF stands for Racing Brake Fluid. It is kind of expensive too. I have a few questions:
1. I find RBF600 is amber in color even when new. It looks like the color of some other brake fluids when they get old. Is this normal? Do any of you use this type of brake fluid? Abtech...?
2. RBF600 doesn't really state on the container whether it is dot 3,4 or 5.1. Do you know what it is? In the fine print they have a table listing boiling points for Motul dot 3 , dot 4, dot5.1 and then RBF600 which has the highest dry and wet boiling temps. But they don't say what type RBF600 is.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-07-2004, 8:30 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydman
Is anyone familiar with Motul RBF600 brake fluid? I have been using it for a few years now. I think RBF stands for Racing Brake Fluid. It is kind of expensive too. I have a few questions:
1. I find RBF600 is amber in color even when new. It looks like the color of some other brake fluids when they get old. Is this normal? Do any of you use this type of brake fluid? Abtech...?
2. RBF600 doesn't really state on the container whether it is dot 3,4 or 5.1. Do you know what it is? In the fine print they have a table listing boiling points for Motul dot 3 , dot 4, dot5.1 and then RBF600 which has the highest dry and wet boiling temps. But they don't say what type RBF600 is.

Thanks.
RBF is DOT4 race spec. It is amber when new (about the color of Molson Canadian in a clear glass). If it becomes contaminated, it will get very dark and opaque. It can mix with DOT3, 4 and 5.1 as they are all synthetic spec fluids.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Ditto abtech.

I checked into it when I switched from Motul 5.1 to the RBF (when I finally found some) and when I flushed the 5.1 through there obviously was mixing with no problems. I love RBF, great stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-07-2004, 4:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Abtech. That is a perfect description of color (the Molson amber one!). Based on your description of when it gets contaminated, mine is not.

I just bled the brakes and installed new pads. Lever moved way out and firmed up nicely (for a 929...). Having the dual banjo bolt bleeder at the top helps a lot. I do this one last and it always seems to blow a bit of crap out when I first open it. I just wanted to confirm fluid was OK.

Last edited by rydman; 07-07-2004 at 11:46 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-07-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

LTL,

Thanks for feedback on RBF. I think the only thing missing to really get my brake lever firmed up a bit is a Brembo M/C. I may spring for one... you know so I can launch myself but good over the handlebars! It is not as if the brakes don't work of course, I am just not used to softish lever feel. I should probably leave brakes as is...they really do work well.

We missed you at this year's .org event. By all accounts it was a success. I know it is a hell of a long way for you tho. Still, we had some CA reperesentation. That blows me away!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page