Headlight (R) high beam and rear (R) tail light: Problem!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 9:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Headlight (R) high beam and rear (R) tail light: Problem!!

I have a 929 01',
My right headlight blub and right rear tail light are not working. I've changed the blubs with no luck, Both are out at the same time.
It seems to be intermitent because once every 10 ten times i start the bike they start working!!! But once i shut it off then back on, no worky..
Also I've checked all of the fuses no luck!!
WTF
Is there a connector i can reseed or something.. Any suggestions would help alot..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 9:54 AM

Re: Headlight (R) high beam and rear (R) tail light: Problem!!

Do you have aftermarket signals? Front, rear, or both? If so, what brand/style? Are you using aftermarket headlamp bulbs? If so, what wattage?
post #3 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie
Do you have aftermarket signals? Front, rear, or both? If so, what brand/style? Are you using aftermarket headlamp bulbs? If so, what wattage?
I've been running these for 2 years..
Attached Thumbnails
HW112.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929Junkster
I've been running these for 2 years..
There is a big grey connector on the right side of your headlamp assy (has a clear sheath over it). disconnect that connector and look at the pins, you should see one of them (the one with a green wire) has melted the connector somewhat (what happened when I used bulbs - same/similar to what you posted). The current draw is too much for the 22GA ground to handle.

To avoid future instances, I spliced an additional 16GA ground wire upstream (toward the headlight, since the other end goes back to the ECU) and grounded it to the frame. I have not incured any problems since the modification.

Let us know if this does/does not identify your specific problem. Good luck!

--Dan
post #5 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 2:17 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Just leave your bike running at all times
post #6 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 2:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Just leave your bike running at all times
post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 2:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie
There is a big grey connector on the right side of your headlamp assy (has a clear sheath over it). disconnect that connector and look at the pins, you should see one of them (the one with a green wire) has melted the connector somewhat (what happened when I used bulbs - same/similar to what you posted). The current draw is too much for the 22GA ground to handle.

To avoid future instances, I spliced an additional 16GA ground wire upstream (toward the headlight, since the other end goes back to the ECU) and grounded it to the frame. I have not incured any problems since the modification.

Let us know if this does/does not identify your specific problem. Good luck!

--Dan

I'm going to try to get to this tonight, will give update...
Let me get this right, all you did was ground the light ground to the frame with 16ga wire.. Correct???

Last edited by CBR929Junkster; 07-07-2004 at 3:01 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-2004, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929Junkster
I'm going to try to get to this tonight, will give update...
Let me get this right, all you did was ground the light ground to the frame with 16ga wire.. Correct???
Well...its not just for the lights (many things are routed into this connector and grounded via the wad of ground spliced together and routing through that one lone wire ). Check to see if you have the melting/burn on the pin first and then add a wire (you can do a temp job (no permenant mods) if you want to do a 'quick fix' to see if that is it.

But yeah, the ground is what completes the circuit and without proper grounding the resistance of the wire generates heat = melting the area around the pin within the connector. Adding the new wire removes the resistance and provides a better source of flow.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-08-2004, 6:54 PM Thread Starter

I checked the connector and didn't see any melting spots. I went ahead and grounded that wire with no luck..
I did find that the rear blub is blown...
I replaced all of the headlight blubs, still nothing..
I checked the wattage on each headlight connector and all of them are the same..

Should i be checking something else???

Last edited by CBR929Junkster; 07-08-2004 at 6:55 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-09-2004, 8:20 AM Thread Starter

anyone
post #11 of 11 Old 07-09-2004, 6:54 PM

Keep in mind that I don't have a 929, so this is just an educated guess based upon years of troubleshooting automotive and motorcycle electrical systems...

If the only headlight problem is the high beam on the right side (R side low beam and L side high/low work fine), there's probably a broken wire somewhere up front, or the LEFT side connector could possibly be damaged. There should be one wire that powers both high beams, and it could be wired one of two ways:

1) It splits into a separate wire for each headlight before reaching either of them. Or...
2) The wire goes to one headlight connector, and then over to the second one, which is a more likely scenario. In this case, if soething is wrong with the first connector (left side?), it could cause the downstream light to fail.

Either way, follow the wire from the right side bulb until it meets the wiring for the other one, and your problem is probably somewhere in between those two points.

Checking the ground was an excellent start , but if the R/S low beam is working, the ground is probably not the issue since it's the same wire for both high and low beams.

Although you didn't specify, I assume that changing the rear bulb fixed that problem...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page