Silver/black CBR1000RR plastic discoloration issue. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-09-2004, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Silver/black CBR1000RR plastic discoloration issue.

A member of www.1000rr.net brought to my attention a discoloration issue with the silver/black CRB1000RR's ( it's his pic ).

On the right side of the bike, in the upper opening, you will notice the overflow hose running between the radiator and plastic. Owners have noticed discoloration that seems to follow the overflow hose. I have this as well.

What's not clear is if the hose is causing the problem by transferring heat from the radiator, getting hot itself, or if the radiator itself is causing this. I have chosen to wait and see if Honda issues a service bulletin, since replacing the plastic would just lead to the same problem. If this does not happen soon, i will re-route the overflow hose, have the plastic replaced, and hope for the best.

There have been some reports of this with other colors, but the silver/black seems to be the most prolific offender.

Check your bike. If you have this problem, i don't think getting the plastic replaced is an issue, but please call Honda customer service ( 1-866-784-1870 ) and let them know this problem is going on so we can get acknowledgment from Honda, just in case it's the radiator, and not the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
discolor01.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-09-2004, 8:33 AM

Re: Silver/black CBR1000RR plastic discoloration issue.

WTF
Buddies got a Siv/Blk
I'm going to call him today!!
post #3 of 17 Old 07-09-2004, 11:49 PM

It happened to mine too. My dealer ordered me a new mid, and I'm gonna put some heat tape on the back, and maybe zip tie those hoses back farther.

Act quick on this guys, as my dealer said that Honda only gives a 45 day warranty on cosmetics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-10-2004, 1:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty929RR
It happened to mine too. My dealer ordered me a new mid, and I'm gonna put some heat tape on the back, and maybe zip tie those hoses back farther.

Act quick on this guys, as my dealer said that Honda only gives a 45 day warranty on cosmetics.
Really? My dealer forgot to mention this. I have called a registered a complaint with Honda, so will they still fix this later?

Do me a favor and call Honda, and tell them you had this problem.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-10-2004, 10:07 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty929RR

thats bullchit, i had my rear cowl replaced on my 929 nearly a year after i bought it ....
post #6 of 17 Old 07-10-2004, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullForce
thats bullchit, i had my rear cowl replaced on my 929 nearly a year after i bought it ....
929's didn't have OEM rear seat cowls.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-10-2004, 11:09 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

Quote:

I think he means the tail....where there would be two spiderwebing cracks behind the drivers seat. They would get worse and worse if not addressed. I have seen that on many 929's. Mine never did that...could have been my riding position.

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #8 of 17 Old 07-11-2004, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
929's didn't have OEM rear seat cowls.
thats right, Honda refers to it as '" rear cowl "
post #9 of 17 Old 07-11-2004, 8:41 PM

To me cracking is not cosmetic, it is broken. This just looks like the heat is burning the clearcoat maybe. Other that that the fairing is fine. My dealer got mine in already, I'll be able to insulate it better.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-12-2004, 11:33 AM

what happens on the 929 is the hinges for the rear seat are located right behind the part of the rear cowl behind your butt on the flat part .... when u sit near the back of the seat the cowl will bend in a little and touch the sharp hinges that are behind it, and the hinges will not give so they push back against the cowl and over time start to spderweb the paint ... the cowl is not cracked, just the finish ...... most 929 owners dont even know that their cowl is cracked because its hard to see ....... i was the 1st person that i know of to post about this on the old esportbike forum and after i did i got alot of replies like " i looked at mine and i'll be damned if mines not cracked too!"
post #11 of 17 Old 07-26-2004, 5:08 AM Thread Starter

Mine discoloration has now spread to the whole upper vent area. This proves that it's heat from the rad and hoses and NOT the overflow tube simply transferring heat.

Still hoping for a service bulletin on this.
Come on Honda!
post #12 of 17 Old 07-26-2004, 2:08 PM

Quote:
what happens on the 929 is the hinges for the rear seat are located right behind the part of the rear cowl behind your butt on the flat part .... when u sit near the back of the seat the cowl will bend in a little and touch the sharp hinges that are behind it, and the hinges will not give so they push back against the cowl and over time start to spderweb the paint ... the cowl is not cracked, just the finish ...... most 929 owners dont even know that their cowl is cracked because its hard to see ....... i was the 1st person that i know of to post about this on the old esportbike forum and after i did i got alot of replies like " i looked at mine and i'll be damned if mines not cracked too!"
I had mine replaced also. I put some foam rubber on the hinges, but it didn't work. The new one is also spiderwebbed. Oh well.....
post #13 of 17 Old 09-15-2005, 1:30 PM

Reputation Power: 28

Send a message via AIM to jetbdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG rider
What's not clear is if the hose is causing the problem by transferring heat from the radiator, getting hot itself, or if the radiator itself is causing this. I have chosen to wait and see if Honda issues a service bulletin, since replacing the plastic would just lead to the same problem. If this does not happen soon, i will re-route the overflow hose, have the plastic replaced, and hope for the best.
Any news on this? My bike did the same and I'm going to pick up a new fairing under warranty this afternoon. What to do so it does not happen again
post #14 of 17 Old 09-15-2005, 2:23 PM

Reputation Power: 20

this also happened to another 1000rr silver/black rider. he hasn't done anything about it and it may be past a year for him already.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-15-2005, 3:00 PM

I wonder if it isn't heat from the exhaust. There may be a heat pipe or chimney effect between the exhaust and radiator and the heat is coming out
through that fairing vent. If that is the case then there isn't much to do except apply heat shielding to the fairing and hope for the best.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page