Suspension settings, 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-20-2004, 7:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Suspension settings, 929

All,

Now that I am used to the bike, (and the new 180 rear tire), I would be interested in finding out what the best known set up for this bike would be in regards to the suspension. I really enjoy the bike now and understand suspension may be set to your liking and riding style. If there is a commonly known set up that works well with this set, please let me know. If this helps, I am 5-7,185 if that matters. If anything I can find out if I like it better than the current set up.

Thanks

Ez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-20-2004, 8:26 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Re: Suspension settings, 929

Take a look at the bottom of the thread for some other similar threads. Basically the stock fork springs are too soft, you need .90-.95 springs for your weight and the valving revalved for your weight.

Someone around here might have some suggestions on what to set the stock stuff at but if you really want it to work well you'll have to spend some $. Dan Kyle does great work on the forks. Made a night/day difference on my bike.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-20-2004, 11:25 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Here's what I orignally set my bike up to (I got it off some performance site long long long ago; it was a night/day difference from stock)

Rear
Preload position, 7 of 9
Rebound, 3/4 turn out from full in
Compression, screwed in full clockwise

Front
Preload, 2 lines showing [4mm showing,measure from bottom
of preload nut to topof fork cap]
Rebound, 1/2 out from full in
Compression, 3/4 turn out from full in

Lately; I've been thinking the front is a little soft; and I know I've increased the pre-load on the rear since this... but here's a good start...
I'm running a 180 as well; i don't think I'll ever go back to a 190.

---

-Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-21-2004, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-21-2004, 3:29 AM

EatnAsphalt is right on. The stock ssupenders were to soft out of the crate for the bikes weight. Forget putting a rider on it. Static sag can not be set properly do to this which means "game over". An important point is to remember the suspension must be viewed as a system. If you fix the front end you must address the problems with the rear as well. Forks and shock must work together. Therfore, consider getting a completly new setup from a reputable source who has experience with you bike and the products you select i.e. Fox, Ohlins. White etc. Finally, any stock suspension is junk after 10k miles. If you've got that or more in her now, make the change. You won't believe the difference.

Once you're done look into articles on setting sag (static and dynamic) as well as rebound and compression settings. This will give you many enjoyable (?) hours of tinkering to get it "right". But is is well worth the effort. The 929 is a phenominal mortorcycle and you've only scratched its performance surface.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2004, 9:04 AM

I would suggest reading sportrider for me this gave me a good starting point.
Once you understand rebound damping, preload, and comp. damping front and rear. Then you can start tinkering with settings to fit the way that you ride or the roads you ride..

These are the settings i run right now..
Attached Thumbnails
settings.gif‎  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page