Did some upgrades on the 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Did some upgrades on the 929

After not doing anything to my bike for about 2 years I decided it was time for some changes. I just finished paying it off and was getting a little bored of it. I am a little low on cash right now so I decided to put a little money into the bike rather than end up getting really tired of it and getting another bike which would have cost me more money.

Anyway I did the following 520 conversion with 1 tooth down on front. The bike needed a new chain anyway. Takes off alot faster now and pulls harder in every gear. No need to downshift for passing power. I'm liking it alot, in my opinion it was worth it.

Put in a speedo recalibrator to go along with the gear change. Not sure if it is working properly didn't get to pass on eof those "You speed is" signs yet. But pretty cool gadget if it is working proper.

VFR shifter which reversed the shift pattern to GP style. I used to miss 2nd all the time. Not anymore. I like the GP style better. Especially on the highway when you are in 6th you can just rest your foot on top of the shifter instead of beding it in that akward position under the shifter. Also lets you shift alot faster around the city. In my opinion bike should come this way, I dunno who decided to make it the other way around .

Put on a new front fairing. Mine was shot had a huge crack along the edge of where the headlight is. This was really what was pissing me off about the bike the most. I tried to fix the crack a few times but it kept opening back up. I never wrecked the bike it just happened to crack there for some reason. I had a hard time finding the Fireblade upper but I finally did get it from Canada. This was the most expensive piece that I bought. But it needed it and my bike looks new again.

Double bubble windscreen. Factory windscreen was spider webbing. Good replacement. Looks better I think but I dunno about it giving me any better wind protection. MAybe a little.

Stuffed the OEM seat with a Gel pad. This was another big gripe I had with my bike the fact that it was so darn uncomfortable able about an hour. I bought a bicycle seat gel pad, took off the seat cover cut out some foam, placed the gel pad in there and recovered it. The looks are ok you can kinda see the bumps of the seat but no one noticed it until I mentioned it its very suttle. But the comfort is well worth it. I used to figit in my seat all the time and today I didn't even think about it. After about an hour in the saddle it dawned on my that my butt wasn't hurting and I realized the gel pad does work.

Overall I am very happy with the bike now. It feels like a new machine. And was alot cheaper to do than trading up or buying another bike, and only took me 3 hours to do it all. I recommend to anyone who is getting tired of their bike to do a bunch of mods all at the same time and it will feel like a new bike to you. Definately much cheaper than getting raped at the dealer. Who by the way offered me $3000 for my trade

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage
Re: Did some upgrades on the 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfmotorcycle1
Overall I am very happy with the bike now. It feels like a new machine. And was alot cheaper to do than trading up or buying another bike, and only took me 3 hours to do it all.
Cool!!

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 12:41 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Put in a speedo recalibrator to go along with the gear change. Not sure if it is working properly didn't get to pass on eof those "You speed is" signs yet. But pretty cool gadget if it is working proper.
If you don't own one yourself, borrow a GPS unit from a friend - best way to dial it in. As for the "your speed is" signs, I think it was Conq that pointed out to me that they are probably off anyway, so as to get people to slow down.

One down on the countershaft is a hoot, is it not?

I have been meaning to try the "reverse shifting" thingie myself - appears to be a very cheap mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 1:04 AM Thread Starter

Cost me $40 to my door for the VFR shifter parts. I posted earlier how the prices were jacked up. But it is still worth it. I have reverse on the SV and was trying to do it on the 929 but never got around to it. It really feels more natural to push down for the next gear rather that pull up with your toes.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
post #5 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 1:20 AM

What speedo recalibrator did you buy? I'm gonna get one right after my +2 rear gets here.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 1:21 AM

Get the Ahlman's. Completely "plug 'n' play".

Last edited by Bacchus; 08-06-2004 at 1:23 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 1:25 AM Thread Starter

I got the SpeedoHelaer v2.0

I'm pretty impressed with it. Connects into the harness no splicing. Then you get the instructions online and it calculates the error for you and gives you instruction how to program based on your mods. Not sure how accurate it is yet. It had me down at 12.1% error

post #8 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 1:48 AM

Quote:
It had me down at 12.1% error
Sounds reasonable - my error was in that range too. Amazing how inaccurate the speedos are!
post #9 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Not sure how accurate it is yet. It had me down at 12.1% error
With stock gearing I was at around 4.5% off. 80 on the speedo read 76.5 on the GPS.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 8:52 AM

Nice upgrades
post #11 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 8:59 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

Glad to hear that a few new mods made you love your bike all over. Now go ride its beautiful out
post #12 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGZ13
Now go ride its beautiful out

Upper management tends to frown about "Ride Breaks" through out the work day. Not to mention if where he is, is anything like ft. lauderdale ...it will be raining soon
post #13 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 929_Nupe
Upper management tends to frown about "Ride Breaks" through out the work day. Not to mention if where he is, is anything like ft. lauderdale ...it will be raining soon
HAHA yeah work does put a damper on things

According to the weather channel it looks like we are finally getting some nice weather. Mid 70's and some sun throughout the weekend

Time to put in some seat time
post #14 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 9:05 AM

BTW where did DR evil go
post #15 of 15 Old 08-06-2004, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGZ13
BTW where did DR evil go

I realized that my screen at work was different from my laptop at home and Ii was too light.... so i had to add a lil pigment.... but he's still there under the ears

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page