U-Lock revisited - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-08-2004, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
U-Lock revisited

Does anyone have a u-lock that fits under the seat? I have a disklock but thought something that includes a cable would be a good idea.

Saw a guy in Memphis that said some ____s tried to wheel his off the other night . Luckily he stopped them, unfortunately they tore up the ignition switch and some other parts to the tune of $500. Inspired me to upgrade on security.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-08-2004, 11:58 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: U-Lock revisited

I have a Kryptonite that fits nicely in the trunk of my 954.

Un fortunately the significant other managed to lose the key ring that had the keys to said lock...

Wanna buy it? Cheap!?

J
post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2004, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbducker
I have a Kryptonite that fits nicely in the trunk of my 954.

Un fortunately the significant other managed to lose the key ring that had the keys to said lock...

Wanna buy it? Cheap!?

J
Ummmm no

Do you know if the 954 is the same size? The krptonite looked like it might fit....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-09-2004, 1:36 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Ummmm no

Do you know if the 954 is the same size? The krptonite looked like it might fit....
AFAIK the 1k is smaller - but this is based solely on my impression from the readership here.

I had a Kryptonite HD special fullsize u-lock in my 954/929 trunk(s) without issue.

Not that I can't advocate it's use was designed for the cruiser crowd..but was @ PepBoys the other day and they had some interesting devices by MasterLock...although a bit on the shiny side, they were upwards of 50$ and had a guarantee against theft. One was a weird tiny disc lock, the other was a silly set of handcuffs sorta...weird stuff but I imagine either takes up minimal space.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-09-2004, 1:45 AM

I have the kryptonite NY Chain for my 929... formerly for the NSR since it was so light you could carry the thing off.

The chain is small enough to fit in my boot without taking up too much space. Also it is big and chunky enough to be obvious to any passers by that you have a stinking great chain on your bike and that you don't forget to take the bleedn thing off before you ride off.

Only issues I have come across is that you have to be careful putting the chain through powdercoated wheels since the fabric cover for the chain doesn't always completely cover the ends of the chain.

Other bummer is that it's a bit pricey.

----------
Denied
'00 Honda CBR929RR Red, white and blue
Perth, Australia
post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2004, 4:03 AM

Brother in law bought a house with an easment (right to use) of the neighbors driveway. After cutting the neighbors padlocks off the driveway gate a few times..(yes this is in his right)..the neighbor busted out with a u lock. So my brother in law (rocket scientist for Hughes spacecraft) started to research...

Researching u locks most have a pin holding the lock mech in the tube. cut the rubber condom like stuff look for the pin and.... based on that I dont have faith in them much past a lil deterent.

I dont know how many u style including the disc locks are built like this but I wonder????

Of course if they really want it...they will get your bike.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-09-2004, 5:17 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

There is a story on security for you bike, I posted the link around here somewhere, and one of the things they said that stuffs up the pro thieves is putting a padlock through the chain, it is apparently quite hard to remove relative to U locks and chains.

Was here but they seem to have taken it down
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...ocumentID=4475
post #8 of 12 Old 08-09-2004, 9:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt232
There is a story on security for you bike, I posted the link around here somewhere, and one of the things they said that stuffs up the pro thieves is putting a padlock through the chain, it is apparently quite hard to remove relative to U locks and chains.

Was here but they seem to have taken it down
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...ocumentID=4475
Yep I have a Tourmaster disklock that would be a absolute bear to remove. However my fear is 3-4 big guys and a pickup might just pick up the bike. So I thought to couple it with a chain to a tree or post or something, while hiking. Never had to be paranoid with the Ascot but people REALLY like the CBR
post #9 of 12 Old 08-09-2004, 12:01 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Yep I have a Tourmaster disklock that would be a absolute bear to remove. However my fear is 3-4 big guys and a pickup might just pick up the bike. So I thought to couple it with a chain to a tree or post or something, while hiking. Never had to be paranoid with the Ascot but people REALLY like the CBR

ON eof the things they brought up in the article is keeping chains off the ground so the ground can't be used as a anvil to cut the chain with a chisel or the like. Apparently it doesn't get any quicker than that. Keep the chain off the ground without an slack.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2004, 3:30 PM

To answer the original question, I have the Honda one under my seat, not as long as the previous one I used on my VFR, or long enuf to link two bikes, but better than nothing.

See here for a pic. Guess you can get them over there as well.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-10-2004, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
To answer the original question, I have the Honda one under my seat, not as long as the previous one I used on my VFR, or long enuf to link two bikes, but better than nothing.

See here for a pic. Guess you can get them over there as well.

Thanks but that is actually my dilemma. When I go to Honda for US they do not list anything in accessories other than the set cowl. When I search the web I found the non-US Honda link Now I would love to visit England and/or Australia however to go just for a lock seems extreme
post #12 of 12 Old 08-10-2004, 6:14 PM

Oh right, I now see your dilema and I am guessing you have asked if they do a CBR600RR U lock It is the same one. It does seem to be a standard type of lock, so no doubt made by someone else other than Honda.

So if you don't fancy coming over here to pick one up, is there anyone you know who might be over here in the near future?

OK, just had another idea try here under the 2000-2004 Genuine Accessories section, they list them for 59 and am sure would be able to send one over the pond.

Hope this helps

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page