Gotta replace 4th/5th gear :( - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-09-2004, 7:42 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Gotta replace 4th/5th gear :(

This blows. But it doesn't surprise me with all the stress
I put on the bike racing. 4th gear.....when I go WOT or just hit it hard, the bike clunks twice then goes for a bit then around 9K, it comes out and goes straight to the rev limiter. By looking at the fish, looks like I need to replace 4th/5th and the right arm and it was suggested to replace the drum also. Any help from you engine knowledgeable guys is appreciated.

SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-09-2004, 7:54 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Re: Gotta replace 4th/5th gear :(

Just got off the phone with Dan K. He said there was no way to tell if the drum or shift arm needed replacing until I got in there. He said the drum, more than likey would be fine, but I wouldn't know until I got in and looked at it. But my asumption was right on the 4/5th gear if thats what butts up against each other.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-09-2004, 8:47 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Just got off the phone with Dan K. He said there was no way to tell if the drum or shift arm needed replacing until I got in there. He said the drum, more than likey would be fine, but I wouldn't know until I got in and looked at it. But my asumption was right on the 4/5th gear if thats what butts up against each other.
My 4th gear started going first too--I am starting to smell so kind of design flaw--as I have talked to sveral folks w/929s and 954s that have 4th go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-09-2004, 9:02 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor

The lead mechanic and ex-navy friend of mine told me that normally second starts to go first, from what he has seen. I'm thinking about having my gears undercut since I drag race and hopefully they will hold up better and longer. 14,300 miles on mine.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 9:09 AM

Silverbullet: Once you get the trans apart and have assessed the damage, purchase the required parts and send the entire cluster to Superbike Mike for a "Pro Stock" undercut. You won't be disappointed. He has quick turnaround and does most excellent work. If you send him the whole motor, he will shim the box as well and make certain everything is reassembled to spec.

www.superbikemike.com
post #6 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
Silverbullet: Once you get the trans apart and have assessed the damage, purchase the required parts and send the entire cluster to Superbike Mike for a "Pro Stock" undercut. You won't be disappointed. He has quick turnaround and does most excellent work. If you send him the whole motor, he will shim the box as well and make certain everything is reassembled to spec.

www.superbikemike.com
Abtech,

I know you have used them and obviously trust them and their work. I was being sent to Fast By Gast for it to be undercut. Also, I was told not to buy the two gears and let FBG repair and harden them then do the undercutting. Should I go with SBM instead? Thank you!!!
post #7 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Abtech,

I know you have used them and obviously trust them and their work. I was being sent to Fast By Gast for it to be undercut. Also, I was told not to buy the two gears and let FBG repair and harden them then do the undercutting. Should I go with SBM instead? Thank you!!!
FBG is good as well. Mike can repair/harden the gears too, he used to do second/third on my TZs on a regular basis. I will say that several tuners send their engines to Mike for tranny and head work, as he is one of the top people doing this stuff and is great for blueprinting fast motors. I have never used FBG, but have heard good feedback.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
FBG is good as well. Mike can repair/harden the gears too, he used to do second/third on my TZs on a regular basis. I will say that several tuners send their engines to Mike for tranny and head work, as he is one of the top people doing this stuff and is great for blueprinting fast motors. I have never used FBG, but have heard good feedback.

On the phone with SBM now. He told to check with Larry McBride who is in my area, and maybe be cheaper since I won't have to pay for shipping, and also that R&D does great work, but costly. He did say get in there and buy the new components then take it to Larry or call him back and send it to him and he can do it. He said I could call FBG also since they are more into the drag part, but he could certainly do the job if thats what I wanted. Very Very helpful man I thought. Thank you Abtech.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:36 AM

Undercutting of pinion teeth is undesirable because of losses of strength
Is this a terminolgy mistake or a different kind of gear being discussed? Interesting stuff non the less.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Not the same issue...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #11 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment
Undercutting of pinion teeth is undesirable because of losses of strength
Is this a terminolgy mistake or a different kind of gear being discussed? Interesting stuff non the less.
Just talked to FBG, he said send the thing to him, an undercut will be $250, and with the way they cut them now, I may not have to order any parts, but when they are done, I will never have to worry about it again.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Just talked to FBG, he said send the thing to him, an undercut will be $250, and with the way they cut them now, I may not have to order any parts, but when they are done, I will never have to worry about it again.
Any idea what you will be looking at price wise with the new gears and undercutting? I have to have the exact same thing done this winter. I have had no fourth for the last 3k miles.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycrash
Any idea what you will be looking at price wise with the new gears and undercutting? I have to have the exact same thing done this winter. I have had no fourth for the last 3k miles.

Ron Ayers has the gears for approx. $70 each. The big money is having someone do the labor of taking the trans out. If you do it, it will be cheaper, and you need to check the drum, forks, and gears around it, you will probably have to replace one other gear with it. But you really dont know what you will have to replace until you get in there and inspect everything. The teeth may not be rounded, it could be one of the other things or combo of these things.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Glad Mike was able to steer you in the right direction. He is one of the most helpful (and colorful) people I have had the pleasure to work with. Sort of like the "Dan Kyle of the quarter mile . . .".
post #15 of 19 Old 08-10-2004, 11:41 PM

Reputation Power: 16

hey silver,

if your looking for gears let me know. i have an extra motor with 3k on it that im parting out since i have the 1000 now. you can have the gears( 4-5 or all) and the forks for $50. i have no use for them anymore so let me know if your interested. thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page