Bad Clutch Basket? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-11-2004, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Bad Clutch Basket?

Has anybody ever heard of a clutch basket (outer part) going bad? Ive pretty much traced my engine noise (loud clatter that varies per rpm) to this part. It doesen't make the sound when I start the bike with no clutch, but I can only do it for a few seconds as there is no oil pressure. The mechanic at the honda dealership told me it doesen't make the noise because there is no load on the engine, but for some reason I don't buy that. Just starting the bike up in neutral (with the clutch disks not even installed) shouldn't put any load on the motor. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-11-2004, 6:10 PM

Re: Bad Clutch Basket?

If your basket it worn it will make noise load or no load. If the sound is there no-load with the plates in, but not where the plates are out.. unless you totally fragged your tranny it's the basket.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-11-2004, 6:23 PM Thread Starter

Im thinking it has to be the basket too. I can't decide if I want to shell out the $250-300 for a new one, or get a used one from a place here in town. They told me that they would sell me a used one for $125.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-2004, 6:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie

I have like 3 outer clutch baskets in my garage just collecting dust. there all in excellent condition with very low miles on them sell ya one real cheap...

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-11-2004, 7:10 PM

When mine started getting noisy I just bought a complete low-miles clutch and dropped it in. Viola. You can generally tell if the basket is jacked, most of the time the edges will look serated. Hm.. I know I have a picture of the one I replaced here somewhere...

As long as the new one is smooth and the toleranes on the friction is tight you should be good to go. Also check the friction material. If the ears are beat ove you need to replace them both (not a bad idea to do both anyway).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page