Suspension Mods Questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-11-2004, 4:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Suspension Mods Questions

I have gone through all the searching I can and I have a few questions still.
Here is the whole low-down.

I need the 0.95 springs (probably race-tech) as I am 225 without gear.
Race-tech valves are crap from what I hear/read.
Forks would be sent to DK or Ohlins would be in place if money was freeer flowing.

So. Do I really need to upgrade the stock valves? If so what are the better choices? Are there other parts that need to be replaced?
Oil weight. What is the best brand? What weights are best?

Thanks

There are some who call me ............................Tim

Last edited by Kuss929; 08-11-2004 at 5:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-11-2004, 5:06 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Suspension Mods Questions

dan will revalve with the stock valves... He basically massages the shim stack, etc... Not to mention the other honing/polishing he does. I would consider the ohlins internals as an alternative. But you are paying for stuff you may not need, as in dan's case, he utilizes a lot of the stock hardware, he just has a lot of labor involved.

can't help you with oil weight.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-11-2004, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuss929
I have gone through all the searching I can and I have a few questions still.
Here is the whole low-down.

I need the 0.95 springs (probably race-tech) as I am 225 without gear.
Race-tech valves are crap from what I hear/read.
Forks would be sent to DK or Ohlins would be in place if money was freeer flowing.

So. Do I really need to upgrade the stock valves? If so what are the better choices? Are there other parts that need to be replaced?
Oil weight. What is the best brand? What weights are best?

Thanks
At 225 dry, you definitely need 1.0 springs and not .95s. If you are looking at RaceTechs chart, ignore their recommendations as you will find everyone else recommending a heavier spring for your weight (Kyle, McAllister, Pettersson). I weigh 185 in gear and the .95s are almost too light. Racetech is famous for underspringing and overdamping. What you end up with is a stiff suspension without much compliance that will hydralock on the brakes because the spring is unable to control the weight transfer and the damping eventually gives up.

For fluid compliance and great surface tracking, I would go with Showa 5 wt racing suspension fluid and load it approximately 12 to 15 mm below the stock oil height. If you are doing this yourself, make certain you completely drain/flush and clean the internals and let them dry after blowing them out with compresed air before putting in the new oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-11-2004, 5:28 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
At 225 dry, you definitely need 1.0 springs and not .95s. If you are looking at RaceTechs chart, ignore their recommendations as you will find everyone else recommending a heavier spring for your weight (Kyle, McAllister, Pettersson). I weigh 185 in gear and the .95s are almost too light. Racetech is famous for underspringing and overdamping. What you end up with is a stiff suspension without much compliance that will hydralock on the brakes because the spring is unable to control the weight transfer and the damping eventually gives up.

For fluid compliance and great surface tracking, I would go with Showa 5 wt racing suspension fluid and load it approximately 12 to 15 mm below the stock oil height. If you are doing this yourself, make certain you completely drain/flush and clean the internals and let them dry after blowing them out with compresed air before putting in the new oil.
I went with .95's and I am about 225 in gear and they definately are to light... bastards
post #5 of 20 Old 08-11-2004, 5:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Abtech. That is what I was looking for. I think I will give that a try on my own and see how it works with the stock guts. If I need anything else it will definetely be off to Dan.

post #6 of 20 Old 08-11-2004, 6:45 PM

Definately go with the 1.0 springs....at 220# I am pretty wound up on pre-load...should have gone with 1.0's myself..

Use the lighter oil as well...I did the same and it helps the damping. I am using the Maxima and love it
post #7 of 20 Old 08-12-2004, 5:15 PM Thread Starter

What do you use to flush the forks?
A solvent or the oil that you plan on using?

Is there anything that I should look out for when I do this or is it pretty well by the book (I have the shop manual and it seems pretty straight forward).

post #8 of 20 Old 08-12-2004, 5:40 PM

I use Motul Contact/Brake cleaner and it works fine. You can use any brand of decent evaporting brake cleaner as long as it is rated to be used on neoprene/rubber seals. I usually shoot about half a can into the tube after letting the old oil drain for at least 1 hour and then shake them up and down with my hand over the top. Once the cleaner has had a chance to get into all the nooks and crannies, run the tube up and down several times. I then empty the tube and repeat. Once the fluid looks decently clear, I blow the tubes out while holding them inverted with no more than 50 psi.

Make certain there is absolutely no grunge on any threaded surfaces before reassembly.

They should be pretty clean after this . . .
post #9 of 20 Old 08-12-2004, 6:04 PM Thread Starter

post #10 of 20 Old 08-17-2004, 1:52 AM

You must and I mean MUST upgrade the the shock as well. This is a system. Niether was correct out of the crate. Have the same shop do both AT THE SAME TIME!

-__-
Maintain speed regardless of condiitons.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-17-2004, 2:35 PM Thread Starter

I realize that the rear needs to be done also Scuba Steve but funds are lacking at this time so only the front springs can be updated. Unless ebay comes through for me.

post #12 of 20 Old 08-17-2004, 4:09 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Damn, should have asked this question here myself since I have been struggling for months now to get my 01 929 to work with the .90's that Race Tech suggested.

Tried the recommended 5wt oil, too light; then put in 7 wt a few weeks ago and it still seems too light. But maybe it's the springs, not the oil that's causeing the odd feeling.

Argh!!!!!

Looks like Dan is going to get another set of forks to do this winter....

Mike
post #13 of 20 Old 08-17-2004, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmc1
Definately go with the 1.0 springs....at 220# I am pretty wound up on pre-load...should have gone with 1.0's myself..

Use the lighter oil as well...I did the same and it helps the damping. I am using the Maxima and love it

I'm 205-210lbs...and have 1.0 racetech by DK. I'm max out on the preload!!! But the forks work well. I say save the $ and just let DK revalve & polish. You don't really need the expensive valves unless you really want them...IMO you don't need them.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-17-2004, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929
Damn, should have asked this question here myself since I have been struggling for months now to get my 01 929 to work with the .90's that Race Tech suggested.

Tried the recommended 5wt oil, too light; then put in 7 wt a few weeks ago and it still seems too light. But maybe it's the springs, not the oil that's causeing the odd feeling.

Argh!!!!!

Looks like Dan is going to get another set of forks to do this winter....

Mike
How much do you weigh suited up? If over 160 pounds, the .90s are too light. I have made this observation several times, since racetech is the ONLY vendor that makes the lighter spring recommendations. Before changing springs, check the Traxxion or PPS websites, as they have the correct charts for front and rear spring tension vs rider/bike weight.

With the stock valving in the 929/954 forks, the difference between 5 and 7 weight fluid is negligible in terms of feel, but in terms of high speed damping performance, the 5 weight is by far the better choice.

NOTE: When figuring the rider/bike weight combination, do NOT use the factory stated dry weight. For instance, the claimed dry weight of the 929 is 379 pounds, while the actual weight (with the fuel tank empty) is closer to 417 pounds.

Last edited by abtech; 08-17-2004 at 5:27 PM.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-17-2004, 6:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie

If you want i can give you my buddys name and # who works for race tech.. He will tell you what will work best for your bike.. He rebuilt a set of my forks and i loved them...

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page