Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

954 cam chain tensioner

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  literbike 
#1 ·
According to the shop manual, I need to use a special Honda tool to screw the tensioner "all the way in" before removing the cams. I assume that causes the tensioner to retract from the chain. (?)

I bought the official tool, but I cannot get it to turn at all. Admittedly, the clearance around the tensioner is so tight that I can get only one finger from each hand on the tool.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bob
2002 CBR954
1977 RD400

#4 ·
The bike has only 4600 miles. Yes, I know, the valves should not require adjustment before 16K, but mine sounded a little noisy, as if one valve had excessive clearance. As it turns out, none are loose. Two valves are tight by .001".

Warranty really isn't an option. If the tensioner is at fault (rather than my technique), I 'll have to replace it.

Bob

#5 ·
Im not sure how similar the setup is on a 954, but when I did mine on my 900rr the manual said to use the special honda tool. I found that turning it with a small screwdriver and wedging the screwdriver into the side of the CCT(or just holding it with one hand while using the other to remove/install the two bolts) worked just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.