Installed a Xenondepot H7 HID kit. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 8:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Installed a Xenondepot H7 HID kit.

I've always had the itch to put HID on the 929, especially after riding with NHfirefighter when he had his installed. Picked up a 4300K H7 kit from www.Xenondepot.com for $200 shipped. The Kit is all plug and play. Comes with a custom molded base for the bulb so the focal point is correct for a H7 bulb. You just clip the bikes headlight plug into the first harness on the HID kit, then plug the Xenon bulb into the 2nd harness.....and figure out where to tuck it all away.
Only 2 issues with the kit:
First was the plug off the kit that would go to the bikes headlight harness. The 2 male prongs had a plastic surround which wouldn't allow it to connect to the Honda H7 adaptor (first picture). Easy fix was to just pull it all off with a plier, it broke away cleanly when bent far enough (Second pic).

Second issue is the springs on the headlight housing are made to hold down that big honda adaptor, not an H7 bulb alone which is thinner and has a smaller base. So right now the light is very easy to vibrate over bumps. I'm guessing some amount of bending can be done with that spring to make it apply more pressure to the Xenon base.

I'm pretty happy, with it focused correct it doesn't cause any more light than normal to go into the cabins of cars when behind them. Had it out for about 90 miles and didn't get a single highbeam flash or anyone glaring at me. Clearly more light on the road. The low beam puts light a good 30 feet or so further down the road and has a much brighter pattern on the ground. I'll try and get better pics, my hand wasn't very still yesterday.

For comparison, the stock pic is using a Phillp H7 Vision plus bulb.

Last edited by Sirkbac; 10-12-2005 at 2:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 11:04 AM

Re: Installed a Xenondepot H7 HID kit.

post #3 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 1:44 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirkbac
I've always had the itch to put HID on the 929, especially after riding with NHfirefighter when he had his installed. Picked up a 4300K H7 kit from www.Xenondepot.com for $200 shipped. The Kit is all plug and play. Comes with a custom molded base for the bulb so the focal point is correct for a H7 bulb. You just clip the bikes headlight plug into the first harness on the HID kit, then plug the Xenon bulb into the 2nd harness.....and figure out where to tuck it all away.
Only 2 issues with the kit:
First was the plug off the kit that would go to the bikes headlight harness. The 2 male prongs had a plastic surround which wouldn't allow it to connect to the Honda H7 adaptor (first picture). Easy fix was to just pull it all off with a plier, it broke away cleanly when bent far enough (Second pic).

Second issue is the springs on the headlight housing are made to hold down that big honda adaptor, not an H7 bulb alone which is thinner and has a smaller base. So right now the light is very easy to vibrate over bumps. I'm guessing some amount of bending can be done with that spring to make it apply more pressure to the Xenon base.

I'm pretty happy, with it focused correct it doesn't cause any more light than normal to go into the cabins of cars when behind them. Had it out for about 90 miles and didn't get a single highbeam flash or anyone glaring at me. Clearly more light on the road. The low beam puts light a good 30 feet or so further down the road and has a much brighter pattern on the ground. I'll try and get better pics, my hand wasn't very still yesterday.

For comparison, the stock pic is using a Phillp H7 Vision plus bulb.
how'd you get it for $200
thats just the low beam right? so you'd have to shell out 3 times as much to do all 3 lights.
that 8000k looks more like HIDs than the 4300k (in the pics on their site), the 4300k looks more like a bright white type bulb

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 08-15-2004 at 1:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 1:49 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

holy crap did you look at the price of the replacement bulbs, over $100

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 2:32 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

Pretty cool mod

A buddy of mine did BiXenon Projection HID off a bmw on his F4i and man what an intense amount of light. But I don't know if I could justify $400 or so just for lights
post #6 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 4:09 PM

HID rocks! I got a kit for my sled off eBay for under $150. Just have to be patient... or spend a little bit more cash... your options are many.

HID
post #7 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 5:21 PM

If you can't find a kit you can just improvise.

Here are some of the shots from my buddies install HID's on F4i
post #8 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 8:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

but how did ya get it for $200 shipped? They are asking $249...
TGZ - your buddies lights look awesome! Is the 2nd globe running as a hi beam? Or both running as lows?

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #9 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman
but how did ya get it for $200 shipped? They are asking $249...
TGZ - your buddies lights look awesome! Is the 2nd globe running as a hi beam? Or both running as lows?

Z...
Both run as low or high. They came out of a newer BMW. Bixenon Lights are both HID low and high
post #10 of 29 Old 08-15-2004, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
how'd you get it for $200
thats just the low beam right? so you'd have to shell out 3 times as much to do all 3 lights.
that 8000k looks more like HIDs than the 4300k (in the pics on their site), the 4300k looks more like a bright white type bulb
It was a group buy that expired on 7/31. As for the 8000k looking more like HID, it is just more blue/purple. I was going for light output and not looks, the 4300K is the brighter of the 2 kits. 8000k is more for looks. And yeah, just the low beam. I'd love to have the highs done but $600 for all 3 is more than I can budget, especially for the small amount of time I use high beams.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-16-2004, 1:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGZ13
Both run as low or high. They came out of a newer BMW. Bixenon Lights are both HID low and high
Cool.. will have to start scouring the local BMW breakers...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #12 of 29 Old 08-19-2004, 1:05 AM

Reputation Power: 18

What you can do is get PVC pipe that will fit around the base of the new bulb. It should be 1/2" deep. You need to cut a slot in it for the edge of the spring to fit. Its not a big deal but it keeps the light in place. I have a 6k kit in my XX (high and low) and its a good balance of HID look and total brightness.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #13 of 29 Old 08-19-2004, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I found a solution to the "loose bulb" issue. Used a 5/8th washer and took a rat tail file and removed some of the inner edge (the base of the bulb isn't completly round. Tried that in the bike but the bulb was still lose. Reason being is the lip of the headlight housing sits higher than the base of the bulb. Added a ring of tinfoil between the base and washer to apply pressure on the uneven surface. Works like a charm now.

Last edited by Sirkbac; 10-12-2005 at 2:11 AM.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-19-2004, 10:54 AM

Very cool , to rich for my blood though...
post #15 of 29 Old 08-19-2004, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirkbac
I found a solution to the "loose bulb" issue. Used a 5/8th washer and took a rat tail file and removed some of the inner edge (the base of the bulb isn't completly round. Tried that in the bike but the bulb was still lose. Reason being is the lip of the headlight housing sits higher than the base of the bulb. Added a ring of tinfoil between the base and washer to apply pressure on the uneven surface. Works like a charm now.
A ring of tinfoil... nice thinking

So i take it the bouncing headlight effect is now gone?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page