Galfer Wave Rotors Installed! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-26-2004, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Galfer Wave Rotors Installed!

My front brakes were making some disconcerting noises the other day so I ordered new Galfer Wave Rotors along with their front pads. They came today so I have some shots of the install.

I ordered them from sprocketcenter.com. They have them for $530 with the pads and free shipping. Unfortunately, the rotors came with no instructions as to the bed-in method, in fact, they had no instructions whatsoever. The rotors seemed to be identical ie no directional issues but I wanted to verify this. So I called Galfer and spoke to someone who claimed that their rotors are non-directional and that their rotor/pad sets don't need to be heat cycled...just ridden for a while. I'm not sure that I buy this so I may perform a bedding in routine that I used on my 929 front pads back in the day...I just have to remember it

So far I've only ridden it around the block but the new brakes don't have the initial bite that the factory ones did...we'll see how they feel after some bedding in.

Anyway, here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0422.JPG‎   DSCF0424.JPG‎   DSCF0426.JPG‎   DSCF0427.JPG‎  

2002 954 Full Ohlins, Galfer Wave Front Rotors, Scotts Damper, MIG High Mount, 16/45 520 Conversion...Sweeeeet

1996 CBR600F3 Smokin Joe's Edition
Gets good MPG...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-26-2004, 11:36 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Galfer Wave Rotors Installed!

looking good-i really want to get the wave rotors-but damn-seems like a lot to spend-i have the rear, and front and rear braided lines, so thats really all im lacking in my brake system-anyway-should have checked ebay-you can get them for a lot cheaper there-looking sweet, nice bike
post #3 of 16 Old 08-26-2004, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

I did shop around on Ebay but if you add up all the costs sprocket center was very competitive. Bidding starts at $500 with Buy it now at $528 and you don't get pads or free shipping. Looks about the same to me ...

Ebay Galfers

I have a job that allows me to do plenty of internet shopping/pricing

2002 954 Full Ohlins, Galfer Wave Front Rotors, Scotts Damper, MIG High Mount, 16/45 520 Conversion...Sweeeeet

Gets good MPG...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 12:20 AM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

Is there an adavantage to these? It seems like there would be less surface area for the pads to grab?
post #5 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 12:25 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

Very cool
post #6 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 12:30 AM

The rotors look great, not to mention the forks!. I would like to hear your riding impressions. You just never know what you are going to get on ebay.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 2:20 AM

Oh-im not sure if you knew this-but a lot of ppl say that the stock honda pads are some of the best out there-i believe it, and always change mine with OEM-that may be why you dont feel the same bite-i had a set of sintered metals on the bike when i got it i was never happy with-maybe give that a shot if after breaking in youre still not happy-check this link out too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

bit cheaper-not much-usually you can find a set for even less if you look hard enough. Mike
post #8 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 2:42 AM

That looks great I'm getting some,
post #9 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX
Is there an adavantage to these? It seems like there would be less surface area for the pads to grab?
The wave shape provides greater surface area to dissipate the heat. I have about 30K on a set and they work very well. Before them, I went through 4 sets of stock rotors due to warping.

The stock pads work okay, as do the Galfer pads, but I have found that the Dunlopad (DP) in the HH+ compound work the best. Good initial bite (but not lethal) than with the other pads, with more power but very good feel. I didn't notice in the pics, but if you don't have steel lines yet, that should be the next step to having a great brake setup.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 9:57 AM Thread Starter

Indeed I do have stainless lines! They came on the bike when I bought it. My next step is to bleed the brakes and add new Super Blue Fluid...I just ran out of time last night.

I did ride to work so I had the chance to bed in the brakes and they do feel markedly improved. More initial bite than before but slightly lacking in feel. They may need more time yet. They do stop the bike well, though.

The Galfer wave discs stipulate that you must use their pads or the waranty is void. Now that may be a scam but I didn't feel like messing up my new brakes so I went with their pads. I have heard that the stockers are great and I've always like them on my 929, RC, and the 954. However, I did change out the 929's pads for the Dunlopads that Latebraking mentioned and they were awesome. I'll probably switch to those when the Galfers are worn out.

Latebraking, did you get any kind of mounting instructions or bed-in directions with yours?

Gets good MPG...
post #11 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 10:05 AM

I probably couldn't take advantage of the extra performance Waves supposedly offer, but they sure look cool.

Very nice.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
I probably couldn't take advantage of the extra performance Waves supposedly offer, but they sure look cool.

Very nice.
I concur...I think most of us mere mortals can't use the stock brakes to their maximum potential...

Bling, Bling!

Gets good MPG...
post #13 of 16 Old 08-27-2004, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef
I concur...I think most of us mere mortals can't use the stock brakes to their maximum potential...

Bling, Bling!

They look great
post #14 of 16 Old 10-25-2004, 3:07 AM

Please tell me that you weighed them compared to the stockers...? Could you tell that they were lighter since Galfer claims the front set shaves off approx. 4lbs. Let me know... I want some... but I want some weight savings in the process. Thanks...
post #15 of 16 Old 10-25-2004, 5:52 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CBR929
Please tell me that you weighed them compared to the stockers...? Could you tell that they were lighter since Galfer claims the front set shaves off approx. 4lbs. Let me know... I want some... but I want some weight savings in the process. Thanks...
I can answer that one for ya... i once bought 3 sets of Wave rotors for a rock bottom price, 2 sets for the RC and 1 set for the 954... i weighed them and then weighed the stock rotors.. the galfer's were either .4~.5 lbs lighter than used stockers.. the variation in weight is due to used OEM rotors, some were more worn than others...

I can say that the Galfer's are lighter but personally, I don't like them, I think if you're really after weight savings, check out PFM Supersport Upgrade discs for a lower budget fix, or the Superbike brake conversion kits if you've got more dosh than the average joe and if your last name is Gates, go for the PVM Radial mount 4 piston "mono block" brake kit with Ohlins R&T forks... radial brakes = lighter and smaller (less mass is good ya)

sigh...just one winning ticket away from stopping like a star...

Look, Lean, Believe..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page