954 camshaft removal - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 08-29-2004, 5:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 camshaft removal

Recently, I posted a question about unloading the cam chain tensioner on a 954. I had the official Honda tool (07ZMG-MCAA400) intended for that purpose, but lacked success in getting it to turn. The local dealer had the same result, although the mechanic did say that he never uses the official tool. Instead, he prefers a long thin screwdriver.

Unless a screwdriver is particularly flexible, I donít see any way to get it into the tensioner body.

Removal of the tensioner is not without its own problems, because the upper 8mm bolt is pretty much inaccessible.

With the 954 on a rear track stand, I removed the muffler, loosened the rear hanger bolt, removed the four forward hanger bolts, and lowered the motor about two inches using a jack under the oil
pan. The tensioner was then easily accessible. By unbolting the radiator, the cylinder head cover could be removed from the front; much easier than up through the frame. I also think the additional two inches of clearance helped when I removed the cams.
Attached Thumbnails
cylinder head 02.jpg‎   profile 02.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-29-2004, 6:15 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: 954 camshaft removal

I just went through this. Make the little tool that is in the 929 manual (it's posted here somewhere, do a search). It worked great for me. No need to remove or lower the engine, just unhook the harness cables near the CCT and access is no problem. I needed to loosen the radiator to get the valve cover off, but that is all. The rest is fairly straight forward.
post #3 of 31 Old 08-27-2010, 4:18 PM

This thread is old but I'm having the same issue. Anybody have any more advice? R anyone have the tool I need? I'll buy it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Old thread alright!.You can make your own cam tensioner release tool from 1mm steel.The top tensioner bolt is tight to get to, but it is possible to undo with a 1/4" universal joint, replace it with a cap head bolt which is much easier to remove in the future.That guy really wasted a lot of time removing the radiator, dropping the engine etc.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-28-2010, 1:12 AM

Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo View Post
Old thread alright!.You can make your own cam tensioner release tool from 1mm steel.The top tensioner bolt is tight to get to, but it is possible to undo with a 1/4" universal joint, replace it with a cap head bolt which is much easier to remove in the future.That guy really wasted a lot of time removing the radiator, dropping the engine etc.
Meh, I ended up doing the same thing as the OP. I replaced my cam tensioner with a manual one.

I spent more time trying to make a universal joint/swivel sockets work than it took me to lower the engine.
post #6 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 3:34 PM

i already made the tool. the tensioner is not even in the motor right now. and my cam chain is too tight and wont go on the cam gears ..... help
post #7 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDINGITBIG View Post
i already made the tool. the tensioner is not even in the motor right now. and my cam chain is too tight and wont go on the cam gears ..... help
The cam chain will go on the gears if you remove the cam chain tensioner (item #4).

What is commonly called the cam chain tensioner is the tensioner lifter (item #3).

Be sure to use locktite on the bolt (item #10) when you reinstall it.

Oh, and watch out for that washer behind the tensioner. It could easily get lost in the pan if you aren't careful...
Attached Thumbnails
954_CCT.jpg‎  

2002 CBR954RR, 1998 VFR800

Last edited by Deadsmiley; 09-02-2010 at 4:04 PM. Reason: added washer warning
post #8 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:03 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
i already made the tool. the tensioner is not even in the motor right now. and my cam chain is too tight and wont go on the cam gears ..... helpi already made the tool. the tensioner is not even in the motor right now. and my cam chain is too tight and wont go on the cam gears ..... help
You'll have to take the sprockets off the camshafts, put them 'in' the camchain then put the sprockets on back on the camshafts.

Good luck
post #9 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shittyarsedmonk View Post
You'll have to take the sprockets off the camshafts, put them 'in' the camchain then put the sprockets on back on the camshafts.

Good luck
No you don't. I removed and installed my cams without removing the sprockets (see above).

post #10 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:11 PM

well ......

as of right now, the cam chain tensioner is not even in the motor at all ... so theres nothing pushing against the cam chain to make it tighter ..... its freely moving and touching nothing.

i put the 2 cam shafts back on just like i took them out. i can get the chain around them but the OTHER side of the cam shafts does not sit down flush. they are raised slightly because the chain slack is too tight. but its in time perfectly. if i take it out of time, then it creates more slack .... but when its in time its too tight to where i cannot even put the cam holders back on ... and then if the tensioner is on, then we would have a problem cause theres nothing to tension. its too tight. wtf
post #11 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDINGITBIG View Post
well ......

as of right now, the cam chain tensioner is not even in the motor at all ... so theres nothing pushing against the cam chain to make it tighter ..... its freely moving and touching nothing.

i put the 2 cam shafts back on just like i took them out. i can get the chain around them but the OTHER side of the cam shafts does not sit down flush. they are raised slightly because the chain slack is too tight. but its in time perfectly. if i take it out of time, then it creates more slack .... but when its in time its too tight to where i cannot even put the cam holders back on ... and then if the tensioner is on, then we would have a problem cause theres nothing to tension. its too tight. wtf
Crap, got item 3 and 4 swapped!

Take out ITEM 3 and you will have more slack in the chain than you know what to do with.

Go ahead and install the cams with sprockets back on the head. Leave Cam Chain Guide "B" (Item 6) off the head. This will make it easier to deal with.

Sorry for my blunder mate.
Attached Thumbnails
954_CCT.jpg‎  

post #12 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:21 PM

explain that again .........
post #13 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:26 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
No you don't. I removed and installed my cams without removing the sprockets (see above).
But did you remove the chain guides? See what above?
post #14 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:29 PM

this isnt making sense. why would i have to remove the cam chain tensioner inside the motor? it just sits in there loose when the tensioner lifter isnt bolted to the motor.
post #15 of 31 Old 09-02-2010, 4:33 PM

1) Take out the bolt (Item 10) and remove the cam chain guide (Item 3). This will give you plenty of chain slack.

2) Install the cams with sprockets attached.

3) Install the cam chain.

4) Install the cam chain guide (item 3) and check your timing. If all is well, install cam chain guide "B".

Can you see the picture I attached? It gets a lot bigger when you click on the thumbnail.

You don't need to remove the sprockets from the cams.

You do need to leave off Cam Chain Guide "B" until you get everything timed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page