Cupping on Bridgestone BT014 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-03-2004, 8:01 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-03-2004
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Winter is almost here and I will be purchasing new tires (front & rear) and I've got the OEM Bridgestone 010 and the front of the tire is cupping or scalloping as some call it. I've done some searching here and apparently alot of people experience cupping with Bridgestones and was wondering if anyone here has experienced it on the new BT014???? I'm very interested in these tires and would like to hear some input from owners.

Also when I did my search i ran into this very helpful site bout tire wear.
http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/#CUPPING

Also since I'm on the topic of tires is it ok to mix and match tires such as putting a sport touring tire like the BT020 on the rear and the BT014 in the front?? I've notice some riders do that to get the longer tire wear for the rear. I've always thought that you should never mix and match tires as it will upset the balance.

Thanks everyone!!!
JWHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 09-03-2004, 8:10 PM
 
Join Date: 07-25-2003
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

I just finished a rear 014 at 2,500 miles and the front 014 is still going strong with no cupping.
ULEWZ is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 09-03-2004, 8:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-03-2004
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Now with the rear being gone at 2,500 miles is that with track riding or just normal street riding??

Thanks.
JWHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 09-03-2004, 8:57 PM
 
Join Date: 07-20-2004
Location: Canada
Age: 40
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Normal street riding I destroyed a front BT010 from very bad cupping ~4000km ... the rear had normal wear.

My Michelin Pilot Sports never had this issue. (and have always been good to me...)

---

-Rob.
SpikedLemon is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 09-03-2004, 9:08 PM
 
Join Date: 05-01-2001
Posts: 12,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
             
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

What pressure are you running? Low pressure is usually what causes, or amplifies, the cupping....
ConqSoft is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 09-03-2004, 9:20 PM
 
Join Date: 07-25-2003
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHT
Now with the rear being gone at 2,500 miles is that with track riding or just normal street riding??

Thanks.
Agressive street riding with no track days. I reserve the Diablos for the track and will order a set for MTCtrackday Sept 26, 04. FWIW, I normally get around 2,000 miles out of a rear tire, so the 014s wear a bit better.
ULEWZ is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 09-04-2004, 2:32 AM
 
Join Date: 02-19-2003
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

6000 miles on my front tire and no cupping.... no chicken strips either i've brought them to the edge. 33 psi.

Last edited by immortal; 09-04-2004 at 2:32 AM.
immortal is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 09-04-2004, 3:15 AM
 
Join Date: 08-21-2004
Location: Singapore
Age: 37
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHT
Winter is almost here and I will be purchasing new tires (front & rear) and I've got the OEM Bridgestone 010 and the front of the tire is cupping or scalloping as some call it. I've done some searching here and apparently alot of people experience cupping with Bridgestones and was wondering if anyone here has experienced it on the new BT014???? I'm very interested in these tires and would like to hear some input from owners.

Also when I did my search i ran into this very helpful site bout tire wear.
http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/#CUPPING

Also since I'm on the topic of tires is it ok to mix and match tires such as putting a sport touring tire like the BT020 on the rear and the BT014 in the front?? I've notice some riders do that to get the longer tire wear for the rear. I've always thought that you should never mix and match tires as it will upset the balance.

Thanks everyone!!!

i had the same problem on bridgestone tyres before this on the BT-010
used 2 sets for the front, the damn thing starts to "cup" after a month on the road. after like 3k miles on it the tyres cup so damn bad, when i squeeze my front brakes hard my bike will zig-zag. it happens to every single friend of mine who uses BT-010 fronts too..!!! i was really so fu*king pissed off i called the bridgestone tyres dealer (in asia) n screwed them up
they did ask me to send my bike for a checkup, n gave me an offer of 50% off for my tyre change. i just told them ur tyres just suck so bad, i have no more confidence on bridgestones.

now i am using a metzeler MEz3 front and sportec M-1 rear. damn these tyres are great, esp when doing 160kphh in extremely heavy rain on the freeway (got stuck in the heavy rain once, these metz still stick to the ground like glue, not even a skid)
moron900 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 09-04-2004, 4:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 03-03-2004
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Yep, speaking to alot of people here in town who have used 010 and all have had cupping issues and no cupping issues with other brand of tires. As far as tire pressure i'm running about 34psi front and 39psi rear. Is the front too low of a pressure, don't remember off hand what stock pressure is for the Blade for the front but the rear is 42psi from what I remember.

I usually ride solo but occasionally have a passenger. I only street ride so how do my pressures look???? I'm about 175lbs with all my gear. I've done some searching on tire pressure and some guys running 32-35psi for front and rear.

Thanks.
JWHT is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 09-04-2004, 8:08 AM
 
Join Date: 04-29-2004
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

pirelli diablos
roadrash929 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 09-04-2004, 11:11 AM
 
Join Date: 08-15-2002
Posts: 10,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
   
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Or Avon 45/46 combo.
Bacchus is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 09-04-2004, 1:49 PM
 
Join Date: 02-19-2003
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHT
Yep, speaking to alot of people here in town who have used 010 and all have had cupping issues and no cupping issues with other brand of tires. As far as tire pressure i'm running about 34psi front and 39psi rear. Is the front too low of a pressure, don't remember off hand what stock pressure is for the Blade for the front but the rear is 42psi from what I remember.

I usually ride solo but occasionally have a passenger. I only street ride so how do my pressures look???? I'm about 175lbs with all my gear. I've done some searching on tire pressure and some guys running 32-35psi for front and rear.

Thanks.
i'm street only and the same weight as you. i run 33 front 35 rear on the street. my suspension is fully tuned though.
immortal is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 09-05-2004, 6:46 AM
 
Join Date: 01-14-2004
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

I've had cupping issues too before I kept 42 psi in both tires, and have seen lots more on other bikes.

However, I've never seen any on tires that were kept at max tire pressure (42 psi on most, me-thinks). On the track, you won't want this much obviously, but on the street (unless you ride a place like Polomar al the time) 33 or 34 is way low IMHO.

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with the brand. I've run Bridgestones on 3 different bikes and I love em.
Newfie TLR is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 09-05-2004, 10:51 AM
 
Join Date: 07-20-2004
Location: Canada
Age: 40
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16
 
Re: Cupping on Bridgestone BT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie TLR
On the track, you won't want this much obviously, but on the street (unless you ride a place like Polomar al the time) 33 or 34 is way low IMHO.

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with the brand. I've run Bridgestones on 3 different bikes and I love em.
Michelin Pilot Sports react VERY VERY well to low pressure and I actually get very good performance running them low. Normally I'm between 32-34 on them. Never had a cupping issue or a life-span issue. If I ran them at 42psi they'd never come close to getting up to temperature.
The Bridgestone rear tire worked well at low pressure... the front was just a horrible tire.

---

-Rob.
SpikedLemon is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bridgestone Tire Difference victoRR Honda FireBlade 20 08-24-2004 11:13 PM
New bridgestone street tire is good enough to race on?? Vizsladog44 General Discussion 19 04-07-2004 3:20 PM
Bridgestone BT012 OE code "E" Gblade Honda FireBlade 18 03-17-2004 7:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome