Installed Raven Racing No Cut frame Sliders for 1000RR and tank Slapper. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-05-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232
Installed Raven Racing No Cut frame Sliders for 1000RR and tank Slapper.

I finally got around to installing my not cut frame sliders and had my second attempt at the tank slapper today.

These frame sliders (Oggy Knobs in Aussie lingo) were just the ticket, I was hoping to avoid having to cut into my fairings to install some frame sliders, Conq sent me in the direction of the Valtermoto ones but they aren't readily available here. I asked my stealer for recommendations, and they had none other than waiting 1 month for the Valtermoto stuff to come in. I waited a month then was told there was problems with making the brakets. Then I had a mate tell me about a workshop that had made some top quality no cut frame slider brackets for the 1000RR for the Motofreestyle guys when they were in town. I went and checked it out and sure enough he had exactly what I wanted but wouldn't sell directly to me but put me onto his distributor. The distrubutor didn't sell to the public either but they were kind enough to put me back in touch with my original stealer who eventually got these ones in.

Anyway after a little while a found some time to buy the torque wrench and other tools I needed and today set about installing them. They look sturdy enough and have a supporting rod that passed between the two sliders between the engine and the raditator.

My second attempt at the tank slapper was a little more successful that my first, this time I actually had directions to follow so the plastic film looks like its going to stay where I put it. But bloody hell if this isn't the most frustrating thing I've even done in my life I'm not sure what is. The directions say its should take about 30-60seconds for each of the three sheets but it took me at least an hour each to get the last little bits that were lifting up to stay down and in the process of getting one sheet to stay down I would invariable dislodge another.

I don't think I'll bother with these next time I want to protect my tank its too much of a pain in the arse, its a great product but I would have much perfered it they had an easier method of application (an the bloody stuff stayed stuck down at the edges) even better would be a single sheet rather than 3 seperate ones. There are quite large gaps in the coverage on my tank but I couldn't get them to stick otherwise.

Bring on the pics........before and after shots of the left side

Last edited by matt232; 07-08-2017 at 2:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-05-2004, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: Installed Raven Racing No Cut frame Sliders for 1000RR and tank Slapper.

before and after shots of the right side.

At $AU270 for the set it wasn't cheap but I think its much better than hacking into the fairings and therefore well worth the money. Plus I'm much hapier to hand over my cash to a cluely Aussie outfit rather than sending my hard earned dollars overseas.

Last edited by matt232; 07-08-2017 at 2:31 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-05-2004, 7:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Cool must make mental note for future...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-07-2004, 5:13 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Where did you get the instructions for the tank slapper, mine did not have any and I haven't got around to trying to fit them yet?

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #5 of 20 Old 09-07-2004, 5:28 AM
Zop

Send a message via MSN to Zop

Looks good Will hopefully see it on Sunday.
With the Valtermoto item, did you go to RoadRocket in Nth Melbourne Most of the stuff in there is from them

Yes it's Fast. No you can't ride it.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-07-2004, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Where did you get the instructions for the tank slapper, mine did not have any and I haven't got around to trying to fit them yet?

Thats one of my biggest gripes with these things(other than you needing the patience of a saint to install them), and also the reason why I completely screwed up on my first effort.

On the tiny slip of paper in enven tinier writing is a thing that says "Visit the 'Installation' link on the home page of our website www.thetanksalpper.biz for complete installation instructions"

Each of the below is slightly different so have a look at all three:

http://www.thetankslapper.biz/online...es/install.htm

http://www.thetankslapper.biz/online...structions.doc

http://www.thetankslapper.biz/online...structions.doc

The plastic film can be streched to fit onto the tank to a degree so you need to use this property to get it to stick to the more couracous surfaces.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-07-2004, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zop
Looks good Will hopefully see it on Sunday.
With the Valtermoto item, did you go to RoadRocket in Nth Melbourne Most of the stuff in there is from them

Yer I did an they were having trouble getting it in as well, some big holiday over in italy was making things hard and also delaying his shipment.

Plus I found out about the Raven Racing stuff about 1 hr before I went to Rocket Racing and was told the Raven Racing gear was fantastic by a skilled engineer so I figured it had to be pretty good. In the end I think the Raven Racing sliders should be the better of the two.

But I'm hassling Rocket Racing to get the swing arm sliders in.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-21-2004, 8:08 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Matt
Could you please give me some details on where you brought your oggys from.They are just what I have been searching for for the last 6 months. I to wasn't keen on cutting into the body work. From the pictures they are the go. I have been to my dealer up here but have just got funny looks and shaking heads so any details and contacts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Boy Racer
post #9 of 20 Old 09-21-2004, 8:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Racer
Matt
Could you please give me some details on where you brought your oggys from.They are just what I have been searching for for the last 6 months. I to wasn't keen on cutting into the body work. From the pictures they are the go. I have been to my dealer up here but have just got funny looks and shaking heads so any details and contacts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Boy Racer

I got them through Peter Stevens in Melbourne but the sliders themselves came from Promoto in Richmond and are distributed by Raven Racing give them a call or email them ([email protected]) to see if there is a retailer who stocks thier stuff locally.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-21-2004, 8:48 AM

Thanks Matt. I will chase up tomorrow.
Boy Racer.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-21-2004, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt232
Thats one of my biggest gripes with these things(other than you needing the patience of a saint to install them), and also the reason why I completely screwed up on my first effort.

On the tiny slip of paper in enven tinier writing is a thing that says "Visit the 'Installation' link on the home page of our website www.thetanksalpper.biz for complete installation instructions"

The plastic film can be streched to fit onto the tank to a degree so you need to use this property to get it to stick to the more couracous surfaces.
Use of a hairdryer to heat the film slightly for those areas that aren't staying down. Also keep re-wetting the material as you work it, especially the areas you're heating.

You're right if they don't go on in 30-60 seconds, they take a lot of patience. I ran into that installing them on an SV650. Really hard to get all the bubbles and bends out of it. But once they were pulled out using heat, they stuck like glue.

Luckily my 929 takes less than a minute to do each side.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-05-2005, 11:21 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

OK this is a yin/yang question Have you used your offsets? Hope you have not laid it down but.... They only thing keeping me from going this route is the debate that the leverage will save plastic and tweak the frame

That brand is not available over here but there are some variants made by I think protech (??) an Italian company that you can get.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #13 of 20 Old 02-05-2005, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
OK this is a yin/yang question Have you used your offsets? Hope you have not laid it down but.... They only thing keeping me from going this route is the debate that the leverage will save plastic and tweak the frame

That brand is not available over here but there are some variants made by I think protech (??) an Italian company that you can get.
Thankfully they haven't been tested yet.

Quite possible that it 'could' damage the frame but my logic is that if the bike is going to go down that hard then there was going to be major damage in any case, but it will save some cash for the lower speed drops.

Apparently the Ten Kate mob use Valtermoto no cut sliders.....originally what I was trying to get without success until I stumbled on Promoto in Richmond that makes them sliders I have.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/sho...838#post175838
post #14 of 20 Old 02-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt232
Thankfully they haven't been tested yet.

Quite possible that it 'could' damage the frame but my logic is that if the bike is going to go down that hard then there was going to be major damage in any case, but it will save some cash for the lower speed drops.

Apparently the Ten Kate mob use Valtermoto no cut sliders.....originally what I was trying to get without success until I stumbled on Promoto in Richmond that makes them sliders I have.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/sho...838#post175838
good/bad to hear Actually the ones that kneedragger's had for a time were lightspeed I think can't remember and they are not showing them now

Must obey the sheep dog
post #15 of 20 Old 02-06-2005, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue

I went down at 60mph, lowsided, using harder style LP USA Carbonwrap frame sliders. No tweaking of my frame, no pulling out of my engine mounts, and the length is about 2.5".

I have friends that have "went down" with delrin frame sliders. No tweaking of the frame, no pulling out the engine mounts.

I have contacted 2 Trackday Org.'s Workers/Members and asked them if they had witnessed tweaking of frames or pulling out of engine mounts. Answer is no...

This sounds like it's gonna be one of those time honored perpetrated rumors amongst the moto-community...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page