Anyone ever install a larger throttle cam? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 9:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Anyone ever install a larger throttle cam?

Please no dissertations on learning to be smooth and all that.

I bought my 954 early last year and now have 16k on it, commute on it nearly everyday and do nice long mountain rides with friends on the weekends. (The weekend before last entailed a nice 426 mile loop up to the CRoT, over the ToTD, the Skyway, and a return via Hwy 60.)

One thing that has always bugged me about this bike is that the throttle is a bit sensitive. In sweepers and so forth, it's not a big deal, but in really tight and twisty stuff, I have a hard time making very small corrections and keeping the chassis stable. As a result, I just don't enjoy riding the tight twisties as much as I did with "less powerful" machines.

So I'm looking to fix this issue and wanted y'all's feedback on the following:

1) Install a larger throttle cam. I'd have to reach more to hit WOT, but I so rarely do that, it's not something I'd miss. (I know, such heresy! )
I have no idea where to get one of these, but I assume race shops would be a good place to start.

2) Go +2 on the rear sprocket. I'm about due to replace the chain anyway, and since I always replace both sprockets at the same time... I'm thinking shortening the gearing a touch would help with the bike feeling "lurchy" when cranked over. (And yes, the chain is adjusted properly.)

I'd appreciate any feedback,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 9:29 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Anyone ever install a larger throttle cam?

2 things.......

1st, going +2 on the rear sprocket will shorten the gearing and make the bike react FASTER. You might want to go -2.......

2nd, if you cant slow your right hand down, try squeezing the clutch a bit in 'the tight twisties' and that will slow down the reaction of the bike.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #3 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 9:54 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Do you have a PC3 on this bike? It helped with the snatchiness tremendously on my 929.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, I forgot to include that the bike does have a PC3 on it, along with the full Sato and appropriate map from Dan Kyle. That helped a bunch, but it seems to me that the throttle would benefit from being able to take "smaller steps".

CBRBob - actually, I'm looking for the shorter gearing in order to reduce the delay. As it is now, when I make a mid-turn throttle input, I have to wait a bit for the bike to settle and then go from there. It really feels like the chain is loose, but I've even tried running the chain with very little slack and gotten the same result. Fwiw, I normally just use compression braking to help keep the chassis settled.

Again, appreciate the input.

Dan
post #5 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 11:03 AM

get a custom map! it helps so much you have no idea. and you might squeeze a few more ponies out too...
post #6 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 11:51 AM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorton
Thanks for the responses, I forgot to include that the bike does have a PC3 on it, along with the full Sato and appropriate map from Dan Kyle. That helped a bunch, but it seems to me that the throttle would benefit from being able to take "smaller steps".

CBRBob - actually, I'm looking for the shorter gearing in order to reduce the delay. As it is now, when I make a mid-turn throttle input, I have to wait a bit for the bike to settle and then go from there. It really feels like the chain is loose, but I've even tried running the chain with very little slack and gotten the same result. Fwiw, I normally just use compression braking to help keep the chassis settled.

Again, appreciate the input.

Dan
This post is an oxi-moron. You're saying that you want quicker reaction from smaller inputs on one hand. And yet you want more subtle inputs because the chasis is unsettled in corners durring throttle changes. And yet you don't want to go down 2 teeth in the back because the response is too slow
Dude, WTH?
Have you taken all of the slack out of your throttle cables?

Ride Red
post #7 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 12:25 PM

Reputation Power: 42

I'd like a shorter throw on my 929....seems like there is too much. Either your wrist winds up at an odd angle, or you constantly re-grip, which is annoying....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #8 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech
I'd like a shorter throw on my 929....seems like there is too much. Either your wrist winds up at an odd angle, or you constantly re-grip, which is annoying....
How about a single pole/single throw ON-OFF switch? I think that might keep your wrist from winding up at an odd angle (OK, maybe not, but it probably won't be the same angle . . .).
post #9 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro
This post is an oxi-moron.<snip>
Dude, WTH?
Have you taken all of the slack out of your throttle cables?
Sorry to be so confusing - I'm confused myself.

I have not taken all the slack out, through I did drop it way down from the sorry as-delivered setup. I'll take that last little smidge out and see if that does it. Thanks for the pointer.

Custom mapping - good idea. I actually bought a wide-band setup for the cage a couple of years ago, but never got around to installing it. Even though it's limited to something like 11k on the max rpm, I'm sure it would be real helpful towards getting a proper road based tune, as opposed to being strapped down in a hot dyno room. (Not having to pay someone else to do the work would be cool as well. More money for other mods. )

Thanks again!
Dan
post #10 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech
How about a single pole/single throw ON-OFF switch? I think that might keep your wrist from winding up at an odd angle (OK, maybe not, but it probably won't be the same angle . . .).

I guess I could just set my Throttlemeister at WFO, then use the kill switch as you describe. Might even get a cool flame effect like the Foggy FP-1....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop

Last edited by Baketech; 09-14-2004 at 12:31 PM.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydrew
get a custom map! it helps so much you have no idea. and you might squeeze a few more ponies out too...
I nominate the above quote for "Understatement of the Day". I watched bike with a Dan Kyle installed map for the parts he had GAIN 8HP in the mid-range with a proper custom map (I think the dude might still be on this list).

There are SO may variables that an off-the-shelf map just can't deal with.
- regional fuel differences
- elevation
- average ambient temps

That's just a few of the biggies. You should also be able to tune out some of the *harshness* in the fueling with a PC3 you just need to tell the operator what you are looking for. Or.. if you like tweeking you can do it yourself. I was able to get my VFR dialed right ot where I want it in a cople of weeks of tweaking and road tests, then I sold it..
post #12 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 4:39 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:

I guess I could just set my Throttlemeister at WFO, then use the kill switch as you describe. Might even get a cool flame effect like the Foggy FP-1....
Nope, the FI would be off and no fuel would be there to 'flame'

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #13 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 4:42 PM

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #14 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 4:48 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
I got a 6th turn throttle from Dan Kyle. It was made by HRC for an F4i. You'll need to get a on/off switch from an RC-51 and rewire the plug. I wrote up an artical on the rewiring of the new switch with clear pictures. But that was on the old software so it is probably lost. You REALLY have to get used to it because it's almost an on/off switch at that point. I've gotten pretty used to it so it can't be all that hard to use.

Ride Red
post #15 of 20 Old 09-14-2004, 5:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydrew
I agree, with a custom map from a reputable tuner, you can have the power tuned to your riding style.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page