Dot 5 brake fluid - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-15-2004, 6:12 PM Thread Starter
bim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Dot 5 brake fluid

Is there any benefit to switching to dot 5 fluid instead of using dot 4? I am installing braided brake lines and have to flush the brake system anyway, so I thought I would use dot5, which is synthetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-15-2004, 6:31 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Re: Dot 5 brake fluid

Nope, it's not compatible with DOT 3 or 4, which your system calls for. Get the Motul RBF 600. I think that's the name, it's Motul DOT 4 racing fluid that lots of us use and like.
DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT 3 & 4, but not DOT 5.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-15-2004, 6:45 PM Thread Starter
bim

Thx you just saved me a wasted trip to the store
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-16-2004, 11:10 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim
Thx you just saved me a wasted trip to the store
Yea, and lots of $$$$$ rebuilding the system. Get that Motul RBF 600 and change it once a year.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #5 of 10 Old 09-16-2004, 12:08 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

Dot 5 is silicone based and completely different. It is usually used on show car that are hardly used due to it's ability to not draw in water like dot 3 & 4. It can be left in a reservoir for long periods of time without damage. But it is spongy because of the silicone.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #6 of 10 Old 09-16-2004, 12:11 PM

Motul 5.1 or ATE Superblue
post #7 of 10 Old 09-16-2004, 2:55 PM

Reputation Power: 23

Here's some other information...probably useless.

I was once told that unless your brake system was specifically designed to use DOT 5, that it would eventually deteriorate the seals = leakage = no brakes. I don't know if that is true or not.

We know Dot 5 is incompatible with other brake fluids.

Dot 5.1 IS compatible with 3 and 4.

Now for the bit of trivia that prompted me to post. I was in need of some brake fluid so I could get a nice ride in before the next Monday, but I missed my local Honda parts department Saturday closing at noon by 10 minutes. Having searched all the local autoparts stores for DOT 4 before, and finding only one local shop had it (for exotics!) that was my only hope but I knew it also was closed.

Out of desperation I went into the Harley dealership. I'd never been there before and looked around with awe at all the Harley stuff for sale. There were even a couple Harleys and several Buells on the floor as well. I feigned club membership by looking at a VRod for a bit, and then I stood for ten minutes getting to the parts counter (there were a lot of people ahead of me, and there were three guys working the counter. Geez, I guess Harley owners need a lot of parts!)

Anyway, I get to have my turn and asked for some DOT 4 fluid and the guy just gave me a 15 second moment of silence while looking at me as if I were some sort of deranged alien being. Then he said they didn't carry it. "All Harleys use DOT 5. Didn't you know that????"

Suddenly feeling surrounded by tee shirt and vest shoppers, and very alone in uncharted territory I said "Er, no I didn't. Not that I doubt you, but I want to check my owner's manual before I buy some. Thanks, and have a great day!"

I then beelined it for the door and left the area post haste.

Maybe that's reason enough to avoid DOT 5???

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-16-2004, 3:17 PM

Yup, all Harleys are dot 5, thats pretty much the only reason it is available commertialy. With the exception of some european cars, no commertial manufactures use dot 5. The military uses it, but thats more for meeting Artic Weather specs.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-16-2004, 5:14 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Hogs use it because DOT5 dosent eat paint like the others do. Now you know where their priority lies........

Besides being incompatible the other downside to DOT5 is that it is not hygroscopic like the others. In other words, any water that gets in the system(its not a perfect seal you know) puddles in the low spots of the system and corrodes. Its NOT easy to get rid of this as regular bleeding is done at the 'high' points of the system.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ

Last edited by CBRBob; 09-17-2004 at 8:57 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2004, 4:17 AM

I was in Europe on a bike holiday and due to a catalogue of errors at the bike shop, the mechanic had changed the brake pads fro me but not bled the brakes. They got progressively worse through the trip. One morning the brake lever came back to the bar and I had to do something!!!!!

The only dealer I could find in the middle of nowhere only had dot 5. I had to use it to bleed the brakes as I had no brakes.

Yes it certainly is spongy. Yes it is blue. And yes I don't like it.....now I'm back home it is coming straight out again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page