Oil Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 1:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Oil Question

Ok guys. I'm a mechanical newbie and want to know some information. You can laugh at me all you want but at least I'll know afterwards. Anyways, I'm trying to make sure that I'm putting the oil in the right place. I've got a 97 cbr 900. I just looked at the glass screen( i guess it's the oil thingy) and noticed that it's really really low. So, where do I put the oil? I'm thinking the cap right behind the clutch cable on the transmission area. Again, you guys can help me on the terms cause I want to learn. Also, where would I add brake fluid. Lastly, for now, would it be a problem to put mobile 1 if I don't know what's currently in it? I just recently bought it from a guy and he didn't tell me what kind it was. That's all i need to know and you guys know the info so hook me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 1:49 PM

Re: Oil Question

1. The oil is added in the place you described: it's called the "filler cap" the cap should tell you what viscosity oil is required.
2. The brake reservior is generally on the bars or clip-on area and you'll need to remove the cap to fill it
3. See if you can get ahold of the shop manual for your model bike. It will answer those and about any other question you have
post #3 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 1:56 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Sir!!... Please step away from the motorcycle.

(And order one of these)--->Linky-Do

I believe they do ship overseas.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.

Last edited by cbr99xx; 09-16-2004 at 2:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 3:35 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Oldskool, I'm glad you answered before we got started with the smart a$$ answers.

Now that you've done that, here we go:

To assure that the bike has clean oil, drain the oil completely. Put it on a rear stand, tie the throttle on full, and aim it at a stream or river. Fire up the motor for an hour or two to make sure all the oil is out. Don't worry, bikes these days are indestructable. Then add an equal mix of tequila and NyQuill when the pipes are glowing red hot. This is to assure that the bike gets a good nights sleep and is well lubed.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 4:19 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Sorry if this thought is stupid but....

Since you are not sure with how to fill oil are you sure you are checking it correctly? The manual will explain. If you do not have the bike upright the oil will be extremely low when you look. In other words do not check the oil while on a sidestand.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #6 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 5:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
Sorry if this thought is stupid but....

Since you are not sure with how to fill oil are you sure you are checking it correctly? The manual will explain. If you do not have the bike upright the oil will be extremely low when you look. In other words do not check the oil while on a sidestand.
It's not stupid. You were absolutely right. I don't know things like that yet. I'm learning. That's why I posted this question. More advice?
post #7 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 6:07 PM

Umm, I guess I'M the one thats stupid. Does a 900rr have the glass thingy on the crankcase to check the oil level?
post #8 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 6:08 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by literbike
Umm, I guess I'M the one thats stupid. Does a 900rr have the glass thingy on the crankcase to check the oil level?
Not the '95.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 6:10 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

Since you don't know the viscocity of the oil, you also probably don't know how long it has been in there. I would start by changing the oil and filter. Your Honda dealer can also tell you what viscocity oil to run when you buy your filter.
As to your brake fluid there are 2 resevoirs: 1 on the right handle bar and a 2nd a little up and behind the right drivers peg. They also have to be checked with the bike strait up.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #10 of 17 Old 09-16-2004, 6:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie

Dont forget to check your blinker fluid also, those 900rrs seem to burn through that stuff like water

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-17-2004, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr99xx
Sir!!... Please step away from the motorcycle.

(And order one of these)--->Linky-Do

I believe they do ship overseas.
+83,234,874
post #12 of 17 Old 09-17-2004, 4:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycuRRie
Dont forget to check your blinker fluid also, those 900rrs seem to burn through that stuff like water

Man, that's what that tube was for. I knew that's why I couldn't get that damn light to work.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-17-2004, 9:00 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Are you in the AF stationed at Mildenhall? Man that was a sweet base, galaxy club etc... I used to be a KC-10 crew chief and we went through there all the time.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-17-2004, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
Oldskool, I'm glad you answered before we got started with the smart a$$ answers.
now, now now zip..we have to look after our new riders. Help them through this difficult time.

Oh and chucky...dont forget to check AND lube the muffler bearings on the CB if those freeze up on you the mole hair gasket will burst. The moles wouldnt like that.

seriously chuck I applaud your trying to learn and if you have lots of questions I'd suggest starting a relationship with a local dealer...of motorcycles..not drugs.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-17-2004, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy

Now that you've done that, here we go:

To assure that the bike has clean oil, drain the oil completely. Put it on a rear stand, tie the throttle on full, and aim it at a stream or river. Fire up the motor for an hour or two to make sure all the oil is out. Don't worry, bikes these days are indestructable. Then add an equal mix of tequila and NyQuill when the pipes are glowing red hot. This is to assure that the bike gets a good nights sleep and is well lubed.
Hey, maybe this is a dumb question but if I aimed it at a river and it went, wouldn't it get the engine wet and ruin it? Why don't I aim it at my house? Duh. And, my engine's not sick silly. How about some wesson? That should be about the same viscosity as the mobile 1 stuff right? BTW I am stationed at Raf Mildenhall. It's now really calm cause we've been inondated by DUI's so now we "can't" drive within 8 hours of having any kind of alcohol. Article 92 I think of the UCMJ: disobeying direct orders or some crap. Not that I drink and drive. I just like to have a beer with my friends after work. I'm no as you guys would say.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page