Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

SPOOGE in my throttle bodies!

7K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  ratter 
#1 ·
Finally got around to replacing spark plugs last night (waaaaay overdue at 12,000 miles... I've been negligent...   )

I don't really tear into the airbox all that often, so upon close inspection, I was bummed to find all this crap you see below... what the hell is this dark grungy spooge collecting on the outside edge on the top of my throttle body valves?  Anybody?

Another closer shot of it:

So what the hell is this, gentlemen? The bike appears to run just fine as it always, no real issues there.... but I'm guessing this spoo just shouldn't be here.....

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you talking about the oily crap, or the dark, almost black stuff?

The oil is probably normal (PAIR and whatever else enviro-friendly recirc stuff), and the dark stuff is normal too (from the factory - seen it on cars, boats, and bikes).

#9 ·
TAZ : I don't think it's 'collecting'; it looks deliberately placed. Perhaps it's a lubricant, or perhaps it acts as some sort of sealant on that edge of the valve? (I'm just a guy who likes to ride, not a mechanic&#33
TAZ

I thought you had foresaken us

#10 ·
Mattress : I bet if you ground down those screw heads you could increase the flow and horsepower
Hehe, I put stainless button heads in mine after Fireblade_rr bored them. Less than 1 hp though.

#15 ·
ConqSoft : Quote (TAZ @ July 17 2003, 4:32pm)I'm just a guy who likes to ride
Yet also a guy with no bike to ride.  
Wrong! I've got a shiny Liquid Silver '02 R1 with 4500 miles on it in my garage. Mine to use as needed until it's sold. Let's just say it's very good to have generous friends with multiple bikes! (BTW - anyone looking for a low-mileage, stock, Liquid Silver '02 R1?)

I get out when I get the itch, and I even got some track time a few weeks ago. I've been very busy working a 'regular job' in addition to my nights/weekends on the event photography biz, so I don't actually have a ton of free time to ride, anyway.

(Sorry to derail the thread. Hey, wait! Conq did the derailing&#33

#17 ·
Fire929blade : My manual says: ' Do not apply commercially available carburetor cleaners to the inside of the throttle bore, which is coated with molybdenum'

Is this the black goo??
Sounds right. Carb cleaner wiped it right off.

#18 ·
Quote Looks like a lubricant of some sort, was it there before?
Hmmmm.... well, like I mentioned, I don't get into the airbox very often. In fact, only once before, to replace the air filter with a K&N. Since I didn't have to remove the stacks to do that, I really didn't peek down into the throttle bodies... so I can't say if it's 'always'  been there or not...  

Quote I don't think it's 'collecting'; it looks deliberately placed.
In a way, it does.... but why only on that one side? The side that is slightly 'lower' that the forward portion of the valves?

Unless, of course.... there is an equal 'coating' on the *underside* of the forward portion of the valves? (that we can't see since  the valves are closed)

*sigh* I'm bummin'.....  

#19 ·
Don't worry be happy. It's there for a good reason, and that's good enough. Just because a platypus has a beak and we don't know why (ok, so now we do, but at one point we didn't), doesn't mean it shouldn't be there

#20 ·
I always think of it this way, Honda is in this business to make money. They would not add something like this, which costs money, if they didn't think there was a good reason.

#21 ·
It's not a rust stopper, or goop, or anything like that.

It is a sealant used to make sure no air gets past it when the throttle is closed. There is a small inlet for idle speed that is regulated. If you remove the 'goo' you will have gaps between the throttle plates and walls, thus causing the engine to idle erratically.

All throttle body manufacturers use this stuff to ensure a good seal. Leave it be.

#24 ·
Mattress : Quote (luvtolean @ July 17 2003, 10:29am)I always think of it this way, Honda is in this business to make money.  They would not add something like this, which costs money, if they didn't think there was a good reason.
If they were in the business to make money, they'd make the fookin CRF450 green sticker legal....like yesterday  
If you had an 02 or earlier, it would be. Fawkers.

#26 ·
Quote I just noticed the color, and it isn't quite Onyx, it's more of a cross between 'Black Pearl' and 'Jet' . . .

Dunno if your video card is rendering proper colors, Abtech...

Well..... the consensus seems to be: leave the dark spoo alone... but maybe clean  off the other spoo-age....
I dunno, gents; I think I'll leave it all alone and just go about starting the next  

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.