"go fast" ideas for a 900rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-19-2004, 9:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

"go fast" ideas for a 900rr

A friend of mine bought a '97 RR a few months ago and we want to make it go fast(er). That thing is piss slow. I think my old F2 could beat it in a race. It already has a full exhaust,jet kit, and a K&N air filter. Are there any hidden secrets to make that thing go fast? It needs it "bigtime". Thanks.

Oh Yeah, money is very limited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-19-2004, 9:48 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: "go fast" ideas for a 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by waytooslow
A friend of mine bought a '97 RR a few months ago and we want to make it go fast(er). That thing is piss slow. I think my old F2 could beat it in a race. It already has a full exhaust,jet kit, and a K&N air filter. Are there any hidden secrets to make that thing go fast? It needs it "bigtime". Thanks.

Oh Yeah, money is very limited!
take it to the dealer or a good mechanic and have them check it out, if you;re saying its slow there could be a big problem. Maybe an engine problem, something warn in there. The carbs could need adjusting. It shouldn't be "slow" as you say it is. maybe it just need a really good beating to show it who's boss, I'm always a fan of that one. Try throwing some fuel system/carb cleaner in with the next tank of gas and beating the hell out of it.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-19-2004, 9:51 PM

Reputation Power: 16

yeah being its a carby model
id suggest getting the carbies cleaned and balanced first and making sure all cylinders are firing (chk to see if any headers are cold 10 seconds after starting up)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

And have the jets checked / adjusted, its alot different than using a pc on a fi bike.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-20-2004, 8:33 AM

Reputation Power: 17

what everyone said up above...

I'd also say, chuck away that K&N, put a stock system back on it, and start from stock...the blade in stock form was nothing to write home about but definately wasn't slow either.. maybe it's running on Reserve

Look, Lean, Believe..
post #6 of 11 Old 10-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chindian
what everyone said up above...

I'd also say, chuck away that K&N, put a stock system back on it, and start from stock...the blade in stock form was nothing to write home about but definately wasn't slow either.. maybe it's running on Reserve

Not sure, but maybe the K&N works better on the carb models. But it wouldnt hurt to try the stock filter since they do seem to out perform the k&n on the newer models.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-20-2004, 12:55 PM

I rode my buddies bike ,full system and jetted and went 10.30 @ 132mph in the 1/4 mile with it it was (97) model
post #8 of 11 Old 10-21-2004, 1:06 PM

I am sorry to hear that yours is not performing as quick as you think it should. I think its quite likely there is something wrong with it. Mine runs a k&n filter, dynojet kit and a micron can and is plenty quick enough for me, i think it gives 133bhp at the crank........................not bad for something that getting on a bit now.
If you stuck it side by side with one of the new breed of super quick 600's I doubt it would be much quicker(if at all) but it is certainly easier to ride because of the torque.

Sean
post #9 of 11 Old 10-23-2004, 9:02 AM

i hate to say this, but if you still think it isn't quick enough after making sure it's functional...don't dump a lot of money into a bike that is that old. i'm a firm believer in "if you want a faster bike don't dump a lot of money into a slow one, buy a bigger faster bike". any of the new liter bikes should be enough to scare the piss out of you....if they don't you need to seek professional help
post #10 of 11 Old 10-23-2004, 9:16 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psubond
i hate to say this, but if you still think it isn't quick enough after making sure it's functional...don't dump a lot of money into a bike that is that old. i'm a firm believer in "if you want a faster bike don't dump a lot of money into a slow one, buy a bigger faster bike". any of the new liter bikes should be enough to scare the piss out of you....if they don't you need to seek professional help
Or start racing

On a side note the whole thing sounds screwy to me. A 900rr should not be slow at all. I personally would pick up a good manual and start tearing it down Take off the tank, check all the lines, fuel filter, clean/replace the air filter, plugs/wires and definately look into the carbs

I am starting this on my RC next week, which runs great simply cause a used bike is just that used. Unless you know the maintenance schedule that it was kept on I would go through the bike with a "fine tooth comb" and make sure every thing is performing 100%
post #11 of 11 Old 10-27-2004, 6:42 AM

Reputation Power: 16

if u still find the 900 slow, try changing to a flatslide carb + racing CDI + exhaust. just had a fren who happened to buy a track bike done up this way, n when we take it for a spin on the twisties, even a 929 with PC3 cant overtake it. my bike eats dust compared to his bike...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page