HTEV Headaches - 954rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 10-23-2004, 8:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via Yahoo to nicebloke
HTEV Headaches - 954rr

I got error 35 earlier, so I opened up the HTEV (the servo motor looked to be functioning okay). I took the valve out, didn't find anything, put the whole thing back together and the FI error light is now gone. Only problem is that the bike is running like crap. It hesitates at about 2800 rpm (I'm guessing this is the valve rotating) then runs down on power for the rest of the rev range.

I imagine I've put the thing in upside down or something. Anyone have any diagrams I can refer to? I just got the bike so haven't had a chance to get the shop manual yet.

Anything else I might have screwed up when I put it back together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-23-2004, 8:57 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: HTEV Headaches - 954rr

Just a though: have you tried disconnecting the battery... let it sit... then reconnect it? Just in case?

---

-Rob.
post #3 of 35 Old 10-23-2004, 10:05 PM

Let me save you a load of trouble. Unbolt that piece of crap HTEV valve and throw it as far as you can. Next, contact Hass Motorsports (do a search on this forum for the link) and order the HTEV eliminator from them. It's $138 after shipping. I just bolted mine on about an hour ago and the difference is incredible! I haven't even put on my power commander yet and it's still unbelievable. It has waaaaay faster throttle response, lost no bottom end and gained a bunch up top. The front wheel will come up at anything above 8,000rpm in third gear. That's like 110mph! I'm telling you, $ for $, that or a gearing change is the best money you'll ever spend on a 954. The quality is top notch as well. It's stainless steel with perfect welds and is smooth as a babys ass inside. (almost polished) Save yourself a headache and buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 10-23-2004, 10:40 PM

Hass Htev Eliminator
post #5 of 35 Old 10-24-2004, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New954RRider
post #6 of 35 Old 10-24-2004, 3:34 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I would imagine if the servo or valve itself were wearing out then replacing it would be a good option. But I don't see why you would want to get rid of the thing as a matter of course? Honda engineered the valve for a reason. It is an integral part of the engines airflow. If the valve is working properly then when the valve is totally open (at high rpm) it would be the same as having a straight through. And at low rpm it would provide the extra back pressure the engine needs for low end torque. It seems even the new GSXR-1000 is going to have a similar exhaust valve system. So unless you have to I don't see the reason to replace it.
post #7 of 35 Old 10-24-2004, 12:26 PM

It's there to maintain backpressure in the exhaust... To improve low-mid engine power.

However, that being said, if every single aftermarket exhaust system does not use an exhaust flapper valve and their only purpose is to improve power - it's hard to justify keeping it.
Especially since, with new mapping, you can acheive atleast the same power without the HTEV valve - you just won't make the EPA guys happy.

---

-Rob.
post #8 of 35 Old 10-24-2004, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim
I would imagine if the servo or valve itself were wearing out then replacing it would be a good option. But I don't see why you would want to get rid of the thing as a matter of course? Honda engineered the valve for a reason. It is an integral part of the engines airflow. If the valve is working properly then when the valve is totally open (at high rpm) it would be the same as having a straight through. And at low rpm it would provide the extra back pressure the engine needs for low end torque. It seems even the new GSXR-1000 is going to have a similar exhaust valve system. So unless you have to I don't see the reason to replace it.
You do have a point, but are you taking emissions into consideration when looking over reasons for the presence of the valve? Actually, when at wide open throttle, it's not the same as the eliminator because the holes in the valve are slightly smaller than the holes in the header. As for the low end thing....I can't explain it, but I just bolted on the eliminator yesterday and didn't lose a touch of bottom end. Take my word for it, that damn eliminator is the best $138 bucks I'll ever spend on that bike! I can't wait until the PC!!!USB comes in tomorrow.
post #9 of 35 Old 10-25-2004, 4:26 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Is the HTEV really there for emissions? Seems to be a lot of trouble for that. And the O2 sensor with the cat. in the stock can seems to be more than enough to satisfy the emission folks. Granted, if the HTEV is still restrictive when fully open then yes having a straight through would be better when the bike is hauling ass. Are there any good technically objective articles anywhere that talk about the virtures and/or the detriments of having the HTEV?
post #10 of 35 Old 10-25-2004, 12:22 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim
Is the HTEV really there for emissions? Seems to be a lot of trouble for that. And the O2 sensor with the cat. in the stock can seems to be more than enough to satisfy the emission folks. Granted, if the HTEV is still restrictive when fully open then yes having a straight through would be better when the bike is hauling ass. Are there any good technically objective articles anywhere that talk about the virtures and/or the detriments of having the HTEV?
the HTEV has nothing to do with emissions, its only purpose is to provide back pressure at low rpms to stimulate low end power.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #11 of 35 Old 10-25-2004, 2:38 PM Thread Starter

Well I got it fixed - thanks for everybody's input.

The bike has always felt good and I don't feel like I need any significant performance enhancement at this point. I do a lot of city riding, so low-end power is important to me. I'd hate to run the risk of losing any of that. Plus, I now know how the damn thing works - I don't want to get rid of the only complicated part of the bike I actually understand!
post #12 of 35 Old 10-25-2004, 3:32 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebloke
Well I got it fixed - thanks for everybody's input.

The bike has always felt good and I don't feel like I need any significant performance enhancement at this point. I do a lot of city riding, so low-end power is important to me. I'd hate to run the risk of losing any of that. Plus, I now know how the damn thing works - I don't want to get rid of the only complicated part of the bike I actually understand!
So what was causing the problem?

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #13 of 35 Old 10-26-2004, 2:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
So what was causing the problem?
That's a very good question. I never did figure it out. Maybe a piece of dirt caught in the valve iteself?
post #14 of 35 Old 10-26-2004, 3:43 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Intimadator is right. Save yourself some weight and hassles and get rid of the thing. There is no good reason for it to be there except to believe that since Honda put it there it must be good. I replaced the entire exhaust on my 954 and removed 15 lbs of genuine honda ti. No loss of low-end or midrange, infact the dyno showed about a 4ft/lb increase at 6500rpm.
Sugoi8
post #15 of 35 Old 10-26-2004, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebloke
That's a very good question. I never did figure it out. Maybe a piece of dirt caught in the valve iteself?
Small pieces of gravel have been known to get lodged behind the cover and cause it to freeze up. Usually removing the HTEV cover and cleaning out any obstructions is all you need to do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page