929 first impression and questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 2:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 first impression and questions

Bought the 01 929 r/b 2 days ago and I have only put about 55 miles on it so far.
The previous owner hacked off the fender in a pretty cheesy fashion, and went to a -1 front sprocket it appears. He also laid it down so the left bar end and rear peg are scratched.

Riding: really enjoy the power and torque a ton. Feel like the power comes on smoothly although throttle response is a little jerky. I think it is more comfortable on every part of me than my F2 was. It is the nicest bike I have ever had. Cornering sometimes still feels a little less than rock solid. I am wondering what the deal is there. I am running 35 psi in my front currently.

Previous owner installed custom low profile turn signals and they are okay, but the front two don't work properly. I am checking to see if it is merely bulb failure or something else. One bulb is certainly toast. The wiring is half-baked for sure. I am no electrician, but last time I checked scotch tape is not the best method for splicing some wire together...

The scratched up bar end and clutch handle need to be replaced.

Now, questions:
I don't want to/need to increase horsepower or speed, so aside from that, what additions/modifications are good?
I think some kind of FE or undertail may be in order because the hack job is not beautiful. Any thoughts on which is best or easiest to install?
I am thinking about one of those tank protectors because most of my bikes start to look pretty lame from tank-rub (I am short so I am really on the tank a lot).
And how about frame sliders? Really interested on what kind, where to get them, how hard to install for the 929.
The sprocket mod has apparently screwed my speedo so I probably ought to get one of those correctors I suppose.
Also interested in a tank bag. Any input on brand/type/style?

I know that is a bundle there. Any input would be keen (rest assured I have read back about 200 threads, and conducted searches on about 20 topics so I have done some due diligence

Thanks!

Last edited by muab; 10-25-2004 at 2:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM

Re: 929 first impression and questions

Welcome to the org

Now to your questions:

Here are some modifications you might consider:

1) Steering Damper - Scott's/Hyperpro (i prefer scott's)
2) Frame sliders - Shogun or Intuitive Racing
3) Most important - RIDING GEAR (Gloves, jacket, helmet, etc. if you don';t have already)
4) A PC3 would smooth out the power delivery in case you don't have one.
5) A hardbodies or Competition Werks undertail since you stated the previous owner hacked up the original fender.

This should keep you busy for a while. Keep the questions coming! The 929 is an excellent bike, more power then any of us really need and great handling to boot!

Later,
YellRR
post #3 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 12:02 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by muab
Bought the 01 929 r/b 2 days ago and I have only put about 55 miles on it so far.
The previous owner hacked off the fender in a pretty cheesy fashion, and went to a -1 front sprocket it appears. He also laid it down so the left bar end and rear peg are scratched.

Riding: really enjoy the power and torque a ton. Feel like the power comes on smoothly although throttle response is a little jerky. I think it is more comfortable on every part of me than my F2 was. It is the nicest bike I have ever had. Cornering sometimes still feels a little less than rock solid. I am wondering what the deal is there. I am running 35 psi in my front currently.

Previous owner installed custom low profile turn signals and they are okay, but the front two don't work properly. I am checking to see if it is merely bulb failure or something else. One bulb is certainly toast. The wiring is half-baked for sure. I am no electrician, but last time I checked scotch tape is not the best method for splicing some wire together...

The scratched up bar end and clutch handle need to be replaced.

Now, questions:
I don't want to/need to increase horsepower or speed, so aside from that, what additions/modifications are good?
I think some kind of FE or undertail may be in order because the hack job is not beautiful. Any thoughts on which is best or easiest to install?
I am thinking about one of those tank protectors because most of my bikes start to look pretty lame from tank-rub (I am short so I am really on the tank a lot).
And how about frame sliders? Really interested on what kind, where to get them, how hard to install for the 929.
The sprocket mod has apparently screwed my speedo so I probably ought to get one of those correctors I suppose.
Also interested in a tank bag. Any input on brand/type/style?

I know that is a bundle there. Any input would be keen (rest assured I have read back about 200 threads, and conducted searches on about 20 topics so I have done some due diligence

Thanks!
tankslappers are $16 and are awesome, no adhesive
I have intuitives on mine but any frame slider is simple to install on the 929, the bolts are right there in the open no fairing cutting or anything hard, if you can take a bolt out you can and put one back in you can do it.
don't know about the other stuff.

have fun on the bike

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 10-25-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 1:32 PM

As far as the instability in the corners your suspension is not set up correctly. Do a search on suspension setup. Be aware that setting up the suspension on your bike is a two person job, and will take some time. The results are well worth the effort though.

Take your time and fix the wiring properly. That's pretty important.
post #5 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 1:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, both of you. Yeah, I have pretty good gear, although I would like to convert from my older Shoei into a new Arai at some point, and my jacket is a little big for me and I would like to convert to something a little smaller at some point.

Where do you recommend shopping for the undertails and tank protectors? I don't think I will invest in a powercommander any time soon for money reasons. Would my local Dyno shop be able to achieve the same thing?

No input on the speedo corrector thing?

Thanks for the thoughts!

post #6 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 1:45 PM

As far as the speedo calibrator..I think a lot of people like this.

I have a Tour Master Mini-magnetic tank bag and its great for carrying a few items that you can't stuff in the trunk
post #7 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 5:36 PM

the tank protector can be bought at www.thetankslapper.biz

post #8 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 5:59 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to TGZ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
the tank protector can be bought at www.thetankslapper.biz
Its a great investment
post #9 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 6:18 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRR
1) Steering Damper - Scott's/Hyperpro (i prefer scott's)
2) Frame sliders - Shogun or Intuitive Racing
3) Most important - RIDING GEAR (Gloves, jacket, helmet, etc. if you don';t have already)
4) A PC3 would smooth out the power delivery in case you don't have one.
5) A hardbodies or Competition Werks undertail since you stated the previous owner hacked up the original fender.
You're missing SS braided brake lines... Night and day difference.

---

-Rob.
post #10 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 6:26 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Steering damper is a good idea. I have a HyperPro. Many prefer the Scotts. Guess it comes down to whether you prefer the piston or rotary style, as both will accomplish the same thing.
I have intuitive frame sliders. No cutting necessary, easy to install. Just follow the directions, as one bolt is longer than the other. Don't mix them up or you could screw one right into your engine.
Honda's FI is known for jerky throttle response. A PowerCommander III is the cure. You can't dyno tune it or otherwise adjust the A:F ratio without a PCIII, so your local dyno tuner can't do anything with it unless you install the PowerCommander.
The -1 sprocket in the front is a good change. I did -1 in the front and +1 in the rear.
The bike needs suspension fixes, especially the front. When you have the money, send your forks to Dan Kyle. For $433 he will put in the correct spring for your weight, and revalve the forks. Best money you'll spend on the bike.
I have the Jim Ahlman's speedo recal unit. I calibrated it using a GPS.
I run 34 front/36 rear on the street. 33/35 if I'm doing only twisties. 32/32 on the track.
One of the few things I didn't install was an undertail. I cut my fender neatly and moved the license plate up right under the tail light. I have it on a spring loaded hinge so I can swing it down to access the lock.
Stainless steel brake lines that eliminate the T junction found in the stock lines are worthwhile.

That's it for now! Enjoy, it's a great bike!!

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 10-25-2004 at 6:27 PM.
post #11 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 6:39 PM

I don't really understand all the stuff people are saying about the honda FI being jerky. maybe its just that I went from an 86 to a 2001 and anything was gonna be light years ahead but I don't think its "jerky." Its got a little jerk when you hit it kinda hard but I assume that is because if you just whack the throttle on something that has around 130hp its gonna get going pretty quick. Can anyone explain exactly what the "jerkiness" feels like?

post #12 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 7:01 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

Have your brother shake you a few times and you'll understand.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
post #13 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 7:35 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
I don't really understand all the stuff people are saying about the honda FI being jerky. maybe its just that I went from an 86 to a 2001 and anything was gonna be light years ahead but I don't think its "jerky." Its got a little jerk when you hit it kinda hard but I assume that is because if you just whack the throttle on something that has around 130hp its gonna get going pretty quick. Can anyone explain exactly what the "jerkiness" feels like?
It's an on/off feel, stock. You crack the throttle open just a bit, and smoothly, but the bike still lurches forward. I noticed it on the slower turns on the track where precise throttle control was needed. This precise control seemed to be lacking with the stock configuration. It's workable, but it can be improved upon. I have a full system with a custom-mapped PCIII and it's a huge improvement. Now the throttle has better feel, and my smooth roll ons are translated to smooth roll ons, with no jerk, or on/off feel, on these slower corners. The gearing change helped a lot, too.
post #14 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 7:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I don' think the throttle jerkiness is terrible. What I experience is really a lower RPM phenomenon. I will be tooling along, maybe in traffic, maybe in first; shift to second early perhaps, roll on a just a speck of throttle and it jerks pretty suddenly then settles down. If I try to turn the throttle slower it is like...nothing...nothing...wham!
If that makes sense.
It is just an observation. I don't find it that rough to deal with.

The Powercommander sounds enticing, but I probably won't spend the money soon.

Considering how much I weigh (130), I probably could use some adjustment on the suspension. That Dan Kyle deal sounds cool.

Anyone buy stuff from Ron Ayers? Have good luck?

Thanks everyone.
post #15 of 38 Old 10-25-2004, 8:51 PM
sds

I like RKA for tank bags and other soft luggage products. Also, I have used RonAyers for a pretty long time now and not had any bad luck at all. Definitely a class organization IMHO

Cheers,
sds

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page