STATOR/ALTERNATOR TEST?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 10-25-2004, 3:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

STATOR/ALTERNATOR TEST??

Does anyone knows how to test for a defective stator alternator...my battery kept getting drain, i had to ask strangers to push me from behind inorder to jump start the blade recently ...someone told me that it might be the rectifier, if so how do i isolate the two for an effective test...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-25-2004, 5:32 PM

Re: STATOR/ALTERNATOR TEST??

First and easiest is to check if the alternator is charging. To do this you need a multimeter and measure battery voltage with the bike not running, you should get around 12 volts next start the bike and test again you should now be getting 13-14.5 volts.

Sean
post #3 of 25 Old 10-25-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the help so far.....what i got from the battery while its on is 12.2 volts....the battery is brand new since i change it right after the first time it wouldnt fire up....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-29-2004, 5:12 AM

Check the Electrex website (electrex.com?). There is a real good fault-finding chart there. Honda r/r's are prone to failure, however, if it's just a short, it may work sometimes, and sometimes not. Do you own a voltmeter? If so, try to hook it up to the battery and go out for a ride. Monitor the voltage to see if it goes up or down. That's your r/r effin' up. You can check you stator also by starting the bike and unpluging the stator (plug w/three yellow wires). Switch you voltmeter to a/c and check voltage between all three terminals. It should run about 75v @ 3K rpm, IIRC. My money is on your r/r. Like I said, they're known to fail. Good luck!
post #5 of 25 Old 10-29-2004, 9:59 AM

Don't forget to check the rectifier also. It's the thing with the heat sync on the left side subframe (under the rear plastics). That would also prevent charging. See 16-7 in the service manual.

Service Manual p16-7 image

Last edited by damon_achey; 10-29-2004 at 10:01 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 10-29-2004, 10:54 AM

My battery just died on my bike too. It has been struggling to start the past couple weeks and now is completely dead. I got to test everything but I am hoping it is the battery...........

BTW - Anybody know the cheapest place to get a battery?
post #7 of 25 Old 10-29-2004, 11:35 AM

If you don't have a volt meter, start the bike and unhook the positive wire from the battery. If the stator it should produce enough power to run the bike, if it's bad, the bike will die.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-29-2004, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armycolors2000
Does anyone knows how to test for a defective stator alternator...my battery kept getting drain, i had to ask strangers to push me from behind inorder to jump start the blade recently ...someone told me that it might be the rectifier, if so how do i isolate the two for an effective test...

At first glance, just breezing over this quote the words "Strangers push me from behind" and something about a "rectum-fire" jumped out.

Kinda startled me.

Oh, I see now...

post #9 of 25 Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM

I have the same problem with my ST1100. Replaced battery and died on me. Anybody know anything about the ST? I know about alternator problems but is there anything else I should know before taking out the alternator for a rebuild?
Good news, the 929 is running strong even during the Ohio winters.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-11-2009, 1:51 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by icreepin View Post
I am having the same problem. So when the bike is running if i remove the positive while the bike is runnin and the bike dies then its the startor if the bike continues to run then its the rectitifer? (spelling).
I don't think so.
All I think it tells you is that either the stator or rectifier is bad but it doesn't tell you which one.
You need to check them with a voltmeter.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #11 of 25 Old 06-24-2010, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRTSean View Post
First and easiest is to check if the alternator is charging. To do this you need a multimeter and measure battery voltage with the bike not running, you should get around 12 volts next start the bike and test again you should now be getting 13-14.5 volts.

Sean
HOW MUCH WILL THAT VOLTMETER GO FOR
post #12 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 2:40 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRTSean View Post

Sean
HOW MUCH WILL THAT VOLTMETER GO FOR
Depends on what quality you buy, but as little as ten bucks is all you need.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybob View Post
If you don't have a volt meter, start the bike and unhook the positive wire from the battery. If the stator it should produce enough power to run the bike, if it's bad, the bike will die.
I am having this exact problem but the person i bought the bike from said he had just replaced the stator and it looks brand new. If the battery is fully charged it runs fine until the battery is dead. I wanted to test the system output but when i unhook the + battery terminal the bike dies. I know it could have been a bad stator but i would think it was more likely he just replaced the wrong part. Possibly the rotor is bad?
post #14 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoustoninteg View Post
I am having this exact problem but the person i bought the bike from said he had just replaced the stator and it looks brand new. If the battery is fully charged it runs fine until the battery is dead. I wanted to test the system output but when i unhook the + battery terminal the bike dies. I know it could have been a bad stator but i would think it was more likely he just replaced the wrong part. Possibly the rotor is bad?
Yes, the engine will die if you disconnect the battery.
Do what the previous owner didn't do. Get a multimeter and a manual and run the _very_ simple continuity and voltage tests on the charging system to determine where the problem is.

post #15 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Yes, the engine will die if you disconnect the battery.
Do what the previous owner didn't do. Get a multimeter and a manual and run the _very_ simple continuity and voltage tests on the charging system to determine where the problem is.
Awesome thanks i got a continuity reading of 1.8 on the slip ring on the rotor and ordered a new one which should be in this weekend. I have heard when the rotor goes out it often fries the RR i don't know how to test this and the Honda dealerships in the area don't have the tool. is there any way to test it before i receive the new rotor so i don't have to have the bike down for so long. Thanks, Matt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page