2001 929 rear shock - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-20-2003, 7:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to BushrodW
Re: 2001 929 rear shock

...what the length is for sure? *
I ask because I want to get a Hyperco spring for the stock shock and I'd like to order the spring to have in my hot little hand to take in w/the shock for the changeover (verses removing the shock, taking it in so The Man can measure the spring, wait X days/weeks/whatever for the spring to come in, etc.)

The suspicion of a fellow I spoke with just the other day is that the 929 has a 6' spring. He measured one on an old shock. It was 6'. But if it is installed on a shock, *would 6' be compressed length?

Any input by chance, please? Thanks in advance.

bw

EDIT July 21 2003

Does the nitrogen 'leak' from the rear shock? If so, does anyone have an idea what would be symptomatic of same?

BW

www.AirAmericaRadio.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2003, 9:49 AM

Reputation Power: 24

but I'm sure you could allways call Dan kyle if no one answers you

Do unto others, before some prick does it to you!

post #3 of 3 Old 08-05-2003, 5:31 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Bushrod: My stock Showa spring has an internal diameter of 54mm, and a free length of 163mm. New it could have been a few mm longer. The installed length at 2 clicks off full hard preload was 154mm.
The internal diameter of the last coil is reduced by 2mm at the adjuster end to help it seat, in practice a parallel spring is fine.
I've been *told but don't know for sure that the diameter is unusual and that a replacement is not easily sourced in the US. I've also been told that the diameter is different to that on Showa race shocks. This could all be wrong.
I'm as you know running an Eibach spring, but it's probably 2-3mm larger internally than stock. Again not a problem.
If you've got a preload setting you're happy with on the standard shock you can easily calculate the free length you ideally want at the new rate. Measure your installed length at this setting in mm, subtract from 163 and multiply the resulting number by 15.3 (the stock spring rate in kg/mm) The resulting number is the preload force you want in kg. Divide the rate of your new spring in kg/mm into that number to calculate the number of mm the new spring should be compressed by to the same preload force. (it won't be more than a mm or two different to the stock no) Add it to your previously measured installed length to get the length your new spring should ideally be.
You need to offset this number by 1.15mm/preload click if you want to set it up so that you get the correct preload setting at a different clicker position.
In practice you'll be stuck with a stock spring length, and will have to adjust using spacer rings if the preload adjustment is not enough. (as in my case) My Eibach was about 11mm shorter than stock, I had to use the aluminium spacer rings I think I told you about. I'd not want to use one any shorter as it would risk coil binding or more likely over stressing at full compression.
This all worked on the button for me - I got exactly the preload I wanted at the no of clicks I wanted from the new spring.
The shock loses only tiny amounts of nitrogen pressure in normal use - mine was tested exactly the same after about 6,000m.
Have fun...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page