954 battery questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 3:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 battery questions

Today it was the second time the battery went dead when I was trying to start my bike. When its cold it takes three starter 'rounds' until the engine kicks in. But when it begins at the tirth round the battery does not give enough power to make it run. With a pair of starting cables and hooked up to my car's battery the bike starts normally like it should do with its own battery.

The first time it hang up on me was last week when I drove it to the dealer for maintenance. I told the dealer it didn't start and he checked out the battery for me and told he didn't see something wrong with it.
But apperently something is wrong since its happening again.

I removed the battery and the voltage I get is 12.48 . The label on the battery tells me that when the voltage goes below 12.40V it needs recharging...but I'm recharging it anyways since the service manual is talking about ~13v for normal operation

Now I was wondering if those batteries need maintenance like car batteries do ? I know you need to do some pure water in car batteries. Can I also do this with this battery ?

Finally, I want to make sure my alternator is functioning normally. To test this I was thinking on starting my bike with no battery attached (so I would start using the car battery) then I would disconnect the car battery and when everything works (dash, lights etc) can I assume that the alternator is working properly ? Or do I need to do the whole service manual thing (mesuring the voltages under the different conditions and such...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 3:48 PM

Re: 954 battery questions

It is cold where I live and even with a new battery it doesn't start if it is cold and the bike has been sitting for a couple of days bellow 0 c.

When I was talking to the stealer he told me that on carb bikes they would swing the bike side to side to get more fuel in the carbs and it would help on cold start he suggested that I turned the key hear the fuel pump turn key hear the fuel pump a couple of times to help cold starts

The original battery does not need water for it is gel that's in it. sealed battery.

Last edited by l'timbré; 11-08-2004 at 3:49 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 4:16 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171

DO NOT start it without the battery. The battery absorbs any surges from the electrical system that would otherwise damage your charging system. Check the system with the battery in place and running only.

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 11:14 PM

I don't think you can get anything but maintenance free batteries anymore (cars or bikes) so no you shouldn't add water. Batteries operate best at somewhere about 68 degrees if memory serves me right and extreme cold and heat are the worst for your battery. If it's towards the end of your season, ie northern states I'd charge it and wait till spring to replace

You can still test the alternator by seeing what the voltage is wit hthe bike running at the battery, but leave the battery installed
post #5 of 12 Old 11-09-2004, 2:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'timbré
It is cold where I live and even with a new battery it doesn't start if it is cold and the bike has been sitting for a couple of days bellow 0 c.

When I was talking to the stealer he told me that on carb bikes they would swing the bike side to side to get more fuel in the carbs and it would help on cold start he suggested that I turned the key hear the fuel pump turn key hear the fuel pump a couple of times to help cold starts

The original battery does not need water for it is gel that's in it. sealed battery.
Yeah its also about 5° where I live. But don't get me wrong, the bike starts just fine, it just couldn't do it with its own battery. When I attach it to my car battery it starts fine.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-09-2004, 2:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE110171
DO NOT start it without the battery. The battery absorbs any surges from the electrical system that would otherwise damage your charging system. Check the system with the battery in place and running only.
Ok, thanks for telling, didn't know that.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2004, 1:59 PM

Same problem here. Usually the bike is in the house....everytime it sits out in the cold over night...like at a race were we've unloaded the trailer...the next morning I have the same results. Roll it off and it's good until the next time it's out all night. New battery helped me but now it's doing it again. Beginning to think the battery is not the root cause??
post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2004, 2:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02FBlade
Same problem here. Usually the bike is in the house....everytime it sits out in the cold over night...like at a race were we've unloaded the trailer...the next morning I have the same results. Roll it off and it's good until the next time it's out all night. New battery helped me but now it's doing it again. Beginning to think the battery is not the root cause??
Well, the first time it hung up on me was friday when I brought it to the dealer, it was morning and pretty cold (it was standing in the garage for almost a week, but the door is always open so the temperature is equal to the outside temp) . The battery was dead after trying an unsuccesful start. (the starter didn't even roll when I pushed the starter for a second time)

I started my bike using the car battery and drove it to the dealer. Underway I had to start it again because of refueling, but that was no problem. When I went back to pick it up by the dealer also no problem.

Until now the bike was standing in my living room (I put it there directly when I came back from the dealer) . monday I pushed it outside and tried to start it, but I got the same result as 3days ago, the starter went round for 3 times but the 3th time less powerfull so the bike didn't start. The second time again nothing much (half a starter round) .

Maybe the battery wasn't enough recharged ?

Anway, I find it strange that friday evening the bike started with no problem and monday it didn't while the bike was stored on room temperature.

I'm checking the recharging system tomorrow according to the service manual.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-09-2004, 4:01 PM

The last time mine did it, it was stranger....We had unload the trailer. the bike sat outside all night. That morning it fired up no problem. I let it warm up to 180 degrees. Turned it off. Waited for my session to be called...maybe 10-15 min...went to start it and it turns but not enough juice to fire. Had to roll it off. Luckily it wasn't completely dead...not turning over the starter.

I'm thinking the alternater is the issue. I haven't read the troubleshooting/testing in the manual but will once I get a chance.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-10-2004, 2:02 AM Thread Starter

I checked the leak current and it is 1.28mA.
According to the service manual this is too high. it should be < 0.20mA

(when I turned on the blinking HISS led, the leak current got a peak everytime the led went on, but when I disactivated that it stayed constant at 1.28)

Next I tried to disconncet the rectifier but it was a bit hard to find the correct plug, I will try this again.

Do you guys also have 1.28mA or is it indeed lower ?
post #11 of 12 Old 11-10-2004, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by errorken
Yeah its also about 5° where I live. But don't get me wrong, the bike starts just fine, it just couldn't do it with its own battery. When I attach it to my car battery it starts fine.

Same with my bike, When I charge the battery, put it back in the bike bang it starts.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-10-2004, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by errorken
Well, the first time it hung up on me was friday when I brought it to the dealer, it was morning and pretty cold (it was standing in the garage for almost a week, but the door is always open so the temperature is equal to the outside temp) . The battery was dead after trying an unsuccesful start. (the starter didn't even roll when I pushed the starter for a second time)

I started my bike using the car battery and drove it to the dealer. Underway I had to start it again because of refueling, but that was no problem. When I went back to pick it up by the dealer also no problem.

Until now the bike was standing in my living room (I put it there directly when I came back from the dealer) . monday I pushed it outside and tried to start it, but I got the same result as 3days ago, the starter went round for 3 times but the 3th time less powerfull so the bike didn't start. The second time again nothing much (half a starter round) .

Maybe the battery wasn't enough recharged ?

Anway, I find it strange that friday evening the bike started with no problem and monday it didn't while the bike was stored on room temperature.

I'm checking the recharging system tomorrow according to the service manual.

I would use a battery tender, charge it slow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page