HELP! Clutch Problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-08-2004, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

HELP! Clutch Problem

Ok it's time to tap into the brain trust here @ the .org. I installed a Barnett Carbon Fiber clutch today but can't get the adjustment right. This is my 2nd Barnett on this bike so I've done it before. I got the plates and disks in and in the correct order, (with green plate on outside). Anywho, when I put the clutch cover back on(while rotating the arm clockwise) it seems to go on fine but when I hook the cable up I have waaaay too much freeplay. The lever is all freeplay and I can grab just a tiny bit of clutch when I pull the lever all the way in. I adjusted it on the cable to both extremes, on both the handlebar adjustment and the adjustment on the motor. I believe the disks are in correctly(pretty hard to mess that up) and the pressure plate is on, with the 5 bolts and springs torqued down. Everything looked ok and there was nothing like this happening before( it was just starting to slip under full throttle). What am I missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-08-2004, 11:12 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: HELP! Clutch Problem

Well, youknow it has to come back apart, so start there. Make sure you got the right number of plates in there and they are the right thickness. The only ways I can think of for it to be so loose is either the clutch lifter is farther out (as if the plates are too thick or theres and extra one in there) or the lifter plated isnt seated.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-09-2004, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

I did take it back apart. I took out all of the plates and discs, and left the judder seat and judder spring in there(more like a big washer though). I made sure there was 9 discs and 8 plates, all in correct order. I never have taken the basket out, just the discs and plates, so the only parts left are the lifter and the pressure plate. I also measured the new stack and it is exactly the same size as the old one, and the new stack seems to fit in there fine, looks just like the pic in the manual. The lifter is able to move in and out a certain amount if I grab it but I think it's supposed to. The only thing I can think of is I'm not getting the arm that is on the cover aligned right. But then again, it looks right, and it doesn't look like it could go on any other way. Now that I am thinking, I wonder if the lifter could possibly be on the wrong side of the pressure plate? Maybe I put the lifter in first and was supposed to put the pressure plate in first, or vice versa? Or would that even be possible? This F'n SUCKS!

Last edited by Intimidator; 11-09-2004 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-09-2004, 1:03 AM

Lifter goes behind the lifter plate, the clutch arm should grab it and pull it away from the clutch stack. Sounds like you got it right, perhaps fiddle with the clutch arm and make sure its grabbing the lifter correctly
post #5 of 16 Old 11-09-2004, 1:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm sure I got the lifter in right because I remember I didn't even have to take the lifter out to change the clutch pack. I bet it's probably something with that damn arm on the cover. Only thing is, it's on and pointing the right way, but I don't think it could go on any other way.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Is that the # of plates and discs the 954 has? Haven't had mine apart, only the F4 which has two less discs. If you're not doing it, turn the arm CLOCKWISE to engage the lifter.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-10-2004, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

aaaaaaaa- Sook, Abtech? C'mon now I'm putting out the bat signal!
post #8 of 16 Old 11-10-2004, 2:17 AM

Have you pulled the lever shaft out of the side case to see if you buggered it up? If it wasent engauged and you bolted the case on, you might have bent/broke the fingers that engage the lifter?
post #9 of 16 Old 11-10-2004, 9:07 PM Thread Starter

OK I figured it out. The manual says that the green disc is supposed to be the last one in.....apparantly it's supposed to be the first. Son of a bitch!
post #10 of 16 Old 11-10-2004, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator
OK I figured it out. The manual says that the green disc is supposed to be the last one in.....apparantly it's supposed to be the first. Son of a bitch!
My manual showes it the last one in, and it goes in its own set of notches in the outer basket
post #11 of 16 Old 11-11-2004, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
My manual showes it the last one in, and it goes in its own set of notches in the outer basket
EXACTLY! That's what my manual says! It must be wrong because the mechanic at the stealership said the green goes in first and it worked. Now I have some clutch feel. Although I haven't filled it with oil or ridden it, I can actually grab some clutch now.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-11-2004, 2:38 AM

Looking at my manual again...The first clutch plate in is different than all the others so you actualy have 3 different styles in there, the first with large ID, the 7 in the middle, then the green outside. Perhaps you just had the first one misplaced? You can look at the schematic at bikebandit.com and see there is 3 parts numbers for friction discs, 3 different ones.
post #13 of 16 Old 11-11-2004, 1:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
Looking at my manual again...The first clutch plate in is different than all the others so you actualy have 3 different styles in there, the first with large ID, the 7 in the middle, then the green outside. Perhaps you just had the first one misplaced? You can look at the schematic at bikebandit.com and see there is 3 parts numbers for friction discs, 3 different ones.
The Barnett actually only comes w/2 different discs and the plates. The manual says to put the large i.d. in first and the green in last. Well, the Barnett only has the regulars, plus the large i.d. disc, which happens to be colored GREEN! So with the Barnett the green goes in first and the last one is just a regular disc. Confused yet?
post #14 of 16 Old 11-11-2004, 9:09 PM

Wewll, it makes sence, if you were putting the small ID ones on first, the stack was probally one plate too high, which moved the whole assembly out too much hence your lack of adjustment. The only reason the inner and outter plates are different (besides size) is they have to rub aghnist the aluminum of the basket and pressure plate. Aparrentaly barnet doesnt do this, you might find more wear on the aluminum parts.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-11-2004, 11:22 PM

Just curious how many miles you have to be on your 2nd replacement clutch? My OEM clutch feels great after 12k miles of abuse, drag launches, burnouts, trackdays, clutch wheelies..........

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page