Clattering sound cbr929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-09-2004, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Clattering sound cbr929

Hi everybody I'm new around here so I hope you don't mind if I ask a question.

I am rebuilding a crashed 929. I suspect it has been stood in a salvage yard for many months.

I have no reason to suspect any engine damage but today i started her for the first time. Started immediately but the most scary clattering sound coming from the engine. I switched her off so i didn't cause any unnecessary damage.

Could this be cam chain/tensioner problems.....it really is quite a loud clatter. Any opinions, experiences, knowledge greatfully accepted. Is the 929 prone to this type of problem?

Thanks

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-09-2004, 12:38 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Clattering sound cbr929

Did you make sure it had plenty of oil? Could be the clutch basket if the recall wasn't done on it(Not sure if this affects Euro 'blades )

Last edited by ND4SPD; 11-09-2004 at 12:38 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-09-2004, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Zoltan

What was the clutch problem that caused the recall?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-09-2004, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayblade
Thanks Zoltan

What was the clutch problem that caused the recall?

Bill
Here you go..

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/re...da+Motorcycles
post #5 of 14 Old 11-09-2004, 2:52 PM Thread Starter

Wow

I wasn't aware of that. It's certainly worth further investigation.

For information there is plenty of oil in the bike. It's low on coolant as one of the hoses was holed however I only started it for a few seconds so it will not have overheated in such a short spell.

I used to own an RRS. That had a noisy camchain but it didn't sound anything like the sound from this. I hope I don't have to tear the motor down.

Bill
post #6 of 14 Old 11-09-2004, 3:02 PM

Reputation Power: 17

How many miles on the motor? I'd bet it needs a new cam chain tensioner. I'd start there as it is cheap and easy.

2002 954 Full Ohlins, Galfer Wave Front Rotors, Scotts Damper, MIG High Mount, 16/45 520 Conversion...Sweeeeet

1996 CBR600F3 Smokin Joe's Edition
Gets good MPG...
post #7 of 14 Old 11-09-2004, 3:58 PM

Here's my mysterious engine clattering story: When me an my 900rr had our first 'incident' (bike falling and sliding on its right side), as soon as I got the electrical problems worked out and got the bike to start it was making a VERY LOUD rattling sound. It was loud enough to be heard from 20 feet or more from the bike. When I got up close to the bike it was next to impossible to find out where the sound was coming from. First off, I checked the valves...everything okay there(everybody told me it was probably valves). Then the CCT, okay there too. I pull off the timing cover, and notice the ignition pulse rotor is bent all to hell and is rubbing against the cover. . So I order another one, put it on, start the bike up. Damn. Same noise. Finally I start taking the clutch apart and inspect everything. Once again, everything seems okay. At this point Im thinking to myself "well if its nothing easy the motor must be F'd up internally" so I pull out the entire clutch assembly, prime the oil pump w/ the 10mm bolt on the oil pump drive sprocket (keep in mind there is no oil pressure in the engine if it is started w/ the clutch basket out of it). I start the bike up only for a few seconds. No more rattling noise . So at this point im thinking its either in the clutch or transmission. Taking a closer look at the clutch basket, I notice that it looks a little unusual and the springs in it don't quite look right. I take the basket to the honda mechanic and he tells me everything is okay with it. I still didn't think it was quite right how it would easily slide on and off the mainshaft, so I ordered a new one. Put it in, re-install the clutch, and everything runs perfect!

So there's my clutch experience. Apologies for the wordy post. Thought it might be relevant. BTW,
post #8 of 14 Old 11-09-2004, 5:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Interesting and plausible points raised. Please keep your ideas coming.

I found with the RRS that if I set the engine at TDC then backed off the CCT and then released it quickly so that it sprang back into position, then that stopped the cam chain noise.

This latest problem seems much louder and more mechanical than cam chain noise although I hope that that's all it is.

Bill
post #9 of 14 Old 11-10-2004, 12:08 AM

I have been having a strange clattering noise on my 900rr since i got it.
i have replaced the cam chain, and cam chain tensioner, but the noise is the same.
I have just this week started thinking its the clutch, as that slips a little and rattles like mad in neutral when out.
My noise only really happens either as i let the clutch out, and then again when riding the bike between 3000-4500rpm.
Im wondering if it has something to do with the clutch basket, or bearings that hold it on being worn, causing it to rattle.
Im gonna check it in a week or two when i get a chance.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-10-2004, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by literbike
Here's my mysterious engine clattering story: When me an my 900rr had our first 'incident' (bike falling and sliding on its right side), as soon as I got the electrical problems worked out and got the bike to start it was making a VERY LOUD rattling sound. It was loud enough to be heard from 20 feet or more from the bike. When I got up close to the bike it was next to impossible to find out where the sound was coming from. First off, I checked the valves...everything okay there(everybody told me it was probably valves). Then the CCT, okay there too. I pull off the timing cover, and notice the ignition pulse rotor is bent all to hell and is rubbing against the cover. . So I order another one, put it on, start the bike up. Damn. Same noise. Finally I start taking the clutch apart and inspect everything. Once again, everything seems okay. At this point Im thinking to myself "well if its nothing easy the motor must be F'd up internally" so I pull out the entire clutch assembly, prime the oil pump w/ the 10mm bolt on the oil pump drive sprocket (keep in mind there is no oil pressure in the engine if it is started w/ the clutch basket out of it). I start the bike up only for a few seconds. No more rattling noise . So at this point im thinking its either in the clutch or transmission. Taking a closer look at the clutch basket, I notice that it looks a little unusual and the springs in it don't quite look right. I take the basket to the honda mechanic and he tells me everything is okay with it. I still didn't think it was quite right how it would easily slide on and off the mainshaft, so I ordered a new one. Put it in, re-install the clutch, and everything runs perfect!

So there's my clutch experience. Apologies for the wordy post. Thought it might be relevant. BTW,

Good deal literbike. Did you have to purchase the entire clutch assembly, or just the basket? And if just the clutch basket, you just re-installed the clutch plates/springs? (Sorry, my clutch knowledge severly lacks )

And if you don't mind, just out of curiosity, how much did it end up costing you?

As usual, shame on the Honda tech if it was indeed bad, which it sounds like it was.

Thanks
post #11 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 1:41 PM Thread Starter

For info I checked out the cam chain and tensioner today. Everything OK there. Still clatters like a bastard. Clutch seems fine.

I think this might be expensive. I'm having nightmares about pistons hitting valves or knackered big end bearings or shagged out cams.

Bill
post #12 of 14 Old 11-11-2004, 3:32 PM

Miles?

2002 954 Full Ohlins, Galfer Wave Front Rotors, Scotts Damper, MIG High Mount, 16/45 520 Conversion...Sweeeeet

Gets good MPG...
post #13 of 14 Old 11-15-2004, 1:36 AM Thread Starter

Sorry Dave

Can't be sure about the miles as I bought the bike without clocks. Judging by the condition of the running gear and the disc rotors I'd say certainly less than than 10K.

I'm suspecting the motor may have been run up with no coolant and there has been some overheating damage caused. As soon as I have an undamaged radiator hose I will refill the system and run the motor for long enough to listen to the engine with a stethoscope.

Bill
post #14 of 14 Old 11-15-2004, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayblade
I'm suspecting the motor may have been run up with no coolant and there has been some overheating damage caused. As soon as I have an undamaged radiator hose I will refill the system and run the motor for long enough to listen to the engine with a stethoscope.

Bill
Ouch! Well, keep us posted and good luck!

Gets good MPG...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page