Newbie w/ lotsa early RR questions.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-17-2004, 2:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-17-2004
Location: haddonfield NJ
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
 
Newbie w/ lotsa early RR questions....

Benevolent Soothsayers:

I recently purchased a (beautiful)1993 CBR900RR.....although this bike pales in comparison to modern liter bikes, it still makes my blood boil, and reminds me of a time in my life when I was just starting to realize the joys of sport riding....

The woes of the 900RR series are well known, many writers criticized it's nervous front end, and 16" front wheel. I would like to address some of these issues, so that I may enjoy some spirited track day riding without worrying about my front end "coming undone". But after a day and a half surfing the internet, I have found little/conflicting information regarding these issues and few parts to replace the OEM parts.....Here is where I need help:

-What series F3/VTR etc. wheels will bolt on to the '93 RR without having to manufacture spacers and/or eliminate the speedo cable? Will the rotors on these replacement wheels line up correctly? Will the fork tubes have to be raised slightly to compensate?

- Who makes a bolt on triple tree/fork brace assembly that will change the rake/trail numbers to more desirable ones? What are the "sweet" numbers? Do I have to buy an expensive fully adjustable unit? (Harris, Attack etc?) I seem to recall an article in Sport Rider a few years back that showcased someones 900RR. They bolted on a triple tree assembly from Erion?, if memory serves, but I certainly could be wrong.

-Does raising the rear ride height help cure some of these handling woes? This bike currently has a custom machined "riser" on the shock that raises rear ride heght approximnately 1.5" Is this common? Is this safe? (I have not ridden the bike yet)

I was kind of disappointed at the lack of info out there.......perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough. I was also disappointed in the lack of parts available.....I guess the '93 is all but obsolete, or perhaps in our litigous society, these after-market parts were abandoned. I'm almost ready to give up....Please help!
jakes134 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 11-17-2004, 3:08 PM
Administrator
 
Red Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-23-2001
Location: Motor City, Michigan
Age: 60
Posts: 8,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47
                     
Re: Newbie w/ lotsa early RR questions....

to Fireblades! I can't help you with your questions, but you might find some information here...

RRZone

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."




Red Rider is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-17-2004, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-17-2004
Location: haddonfield NJ
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
 
Re: Newbie w/ lotsa early RR questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
to Fireblades! I can't help you with your questions, but you might find some information here...

RRZone
Thanks....I have poured over that and just about every other RR specifc site/owners group I could find......

I was hoping that somebody had already been down this road and could tell me what's up.......
jakes134 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 11-18-2004, 6:12 AM
 
Join Date: 11-01-2002
Location: Mississauga, ON
Age: 42
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17
 
Re: Newbie w/ lotsa early RR questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes134
Benevolent Soothsayers:

I recently purchased a (beautiful)1993 CBR900RR.....although this bike pales in comparison to modern liter bikes, it still makes my blood boil, and reminds me of a time in my life when I was just starting to realize the joys of sport riding....
I feel the same way as you do mate.. the 93 model was the first bike I ever rode in my life, besides my bmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes134
The woes of the 900RR series are well known, many writers criticized it's nervous front end, and 16" front wheel. I would like to address some of these issues, so that I may enjoy some spirited track day riding without worrying about my front end "coming undone". But after a day and a half surfing the internet, I have found little/conflicting information regarding these issues and few parts to replace the OEM parts.....Here is where I need help

-What series F3/VTR etc. wheels will bolt on to the '93 RR without having to manufacture spacers and/or eliminate the speedo cable? Will the rotors on these replacement wheels line up correctly? Will the fork tubes have to be raised slightly to compensate?
I wasn't aware that the early fireblades had speedo drive's but if so, there are wheels from the CBR600 and VFR750 that will help you maintain the speedo cable drive and match the bolt pattern of your current brake discs so you can just re and re. If you don't care to keep it, all 17" wheels from the CBR600 (pre F4) will work, here's a general rule of thumb, if it looks like the blade front wheel, it will work, the 3 spoke wheels require spacers, except the Hornet/Blackbird wheels, those are straight swaps, from what i've read. The only wheels I have personally tried are the VFR800 wheel, which worked great for my 97 and the 929RR which fit fine but I suspect it's had some machine work in the past, hard to tell since it's been powdercoated.

as for raising the forks, if you want to maintain the same geometry, you have to raise the forks past the triple's by the following values (based on 17" tire size):

120/70 = 9.2mm
120/65 = 6.2mm
120/60 = 3.2mm

I went with a 120/60 front and left the forks alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes134
- Who makes a bolt on triple tree/fork brace assembly that will change the rake/trail numbers to more desirable ones? What are the "sweet" numbers? Do I have to buy an expensive fully adjustable unit? (Harris, Attack etc?) I seem to recall an article in Sport Rider a few years back that showcased someones 900RR. They bolted on a triple tree assembly from Erion?, if memory serves, but I certainly could be wrong.
for this, may I suggest getting the front end off a Ducati 916, this would allow you the opportunity to try out a sharper rake and a longer trail, I think the rake of the 900 is a good number, maybe a slightly sharper 23 instead of the standard 24 would be beneficial, I haven't tried that yet. The trail however would be better at 97mm instead of the standard 95mm. The 916 front end gives you the freedom to adjust rake from 23 to 24 and trail from 91-97mm. The 916 front end also solves the problem of sourcing out a front wheel that would work, and this would also give you a much better front brake system, and a more esthetically pleasing front fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes134
-Does raising the rear ride height help cure some of these handling woes? This bike currently has a custom machined "riser" on the shock that raises rear ride heght approximnately 1.5" Is this common? Is this safe? (I have not ridden the bike yet)
I am going to go with "unsafe" on this one. I feel the 1.5" is too much unless your front end has been rebuilt to handle the added "weight" it must now bare. I have raised the rear of mine but only by 2cm and only because I left the front forks alone instead of raising them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes134
I was kind of disappointed at the lack of info out there.......perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough. I was also disappointed in the lack of parts available.....I guess the '93 is all but obsolete, or perhaps in our litigous society, these after-market parts were abandoned. I'm almost ready to give up....Please help!
I think because these bikes are so old, the information available is mostly hardcopy. There are many tuners out there that know these bike's very well, most of them here in the UK All the info I've found about this bike is either through the internet or from current blade owners and ex blade racers.

I'm not sure if I've helped you any at all but these were questions I once had and I've felt that I've satisfied myself with these answers and am now en route to upgrading my front end. I started simple and found not much difference between the 16" and 17" except, when I had the 16", initial turn in felt slippery (as if I was about to loose the front) but the bike did turn in if I forced it to, now with the 17", i've lost that slippery feeling. I suspect its in the tire I was using on the 16" and have changed that and am now going to put it back on with a dunlop instead of the pirelli i was using... i'll keep you updated on that as well.


Look, Lean, Believe..
CBRSP2 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 11-21-2004, 9:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 11-17-2004
Location: haddonfield NJ
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15
 
Re: Newbie w/ lotsa early RR questions....

Thank you chindian.....
I found a comany overseas that makes a set of triples that are early RR specific......after several days of searching!!
It's a good idea to swap the whole front end, but I didn't want my RR to look like a franken-job....
As far as the 17"er. I'll get it firgured out, one way or another....my step-dad is a machinist, so if I gotta fab some spacers, I'll do it.

I love the first RR, and want to keep it as close to stock as possible.....but I remember back in the day when guys used to wash the front ends on these things left and right.....I just don't wanna be that guy!!!
jakes134 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 11-22-2004, 1:31 AM
Zop
 
Join Date: 04-27-2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 47
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19
 
Send a message via MSN to Zop
Re: Newbie w/ lotsa early RR questions....


Yes it's Fast. No you can't ride it.
Zop is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie questions about the 929 Jason Honda FireBlade 18 07-08-2004 11:04 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome