HELP! '98 900RR carb vacuum spring - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-20-2004, 9:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

HELP! '98 900RR carb vacuum spring

So I threw a Factory carb kit in it, and it's run like ass ever since. Top end is great! But midrange especially sucks. I want to put the stock springs back in, but unfortunately some friends came over unwanted and unexpected when I was doing this, so I gave them my springs to keep the 'tards busy and off my back. I've only found 3. The 4th is long gone. I went to two local bike salvage yards, and the carbs we opened up didn't have the right springs.

My springs, which I'm 99% sure are bone stock, are 42 coils and rather long (7.75 inches long). These ones we pulled out were 35 and about an inch & a half shorter. And they only opened up a grand total of 3 carbs for me. Lazy bastards. The second place was griping because we walked through their open door at 4:05, and they apparently close at 4. Zero service there.

Does anyone have any extra springs laying around? Or could someone with a '98 or '99 900RR open their carbs up and tell me if they have these long springs or the shorter ones?

If you've got the long version, I'm willing to pay a good amount of money for one. Or pay + give you my Factory springs if your spring works. It's that or go get this thing dyno tuned, and I think that's going to run me a lot of money.

I WILL PAY AND OWE A TON OF GRATITUDE FOR JUST THAT ONE SPRING! PLEASE HELP!

-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-21-2004, 11:22 AM

Re: HELP! '98 900RR carb vacuum spring

Just buy four new ones from Honda. They can't be that expensive and you will have the peace of mind that you have the proper, matching springs.
You could also probably skip the jet-kit. Most bikes will run great just by raising the stock needle 1 mm with an appropriate washer(s) and doing a good synchronization.
If the jet-kit needles are aluminum they'll wear out soon anyway.
Let us know how this all turns out

Last edited by Speedfreek; 11-21-2004 at 11:24 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-21-2004, 2:24 PM

Try this link http://216.37.204.205/partsfinder.htm

The spring costs about $11.00

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-21-2004, 4:45 PM Thread Starter

The new Factory needles are titanium. I never thought about them wearing out. I'll keep an eye on them. I've still got the stock needles though, just in case.

And I didn't know I could order these springs from a manufacturer. I figured this was one of those random menial parts where if you lose/break one, you're just SOL. Thanks!
post #5 of 7 Old 11-21-2004, 5:05 PM Thread Starter

And top-end (7000+) feels stronger than the stock setup. Rather than the 4x120 jets, I'm running 120s on the 1&4 cylinders and 122 on 2&3. So just a minor increase. Foam air filter, slip-on (made a slight difference over the horribly baffled stock pipe), and a little air ducting to the air box.

But everything beyond that top-end is messed up. The idle is the same as before (a little rough, but not too bad). But the bike falls on its face when I run my friend, then picks up after a half to a full second and then scoots along like it should.

Going to put the stock springs back in and set the Factory needles to the match the stock ones. Sync my carbs again, and I think (hope) it'll run normal again along with that little bit of extra pull above 7000. We'll see though.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-24-2006, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66droptop View Post
And top-end (7000+) feels stronger than the stock setup. Rather than the 4x120 jets, I'm running 120s on the 1&4 cylinders and 122 on 2&3. So just a minor increase. Foam air filter, slip-on (made a slight difference over the horribly baffled stock pipe), and a little air ducting to the air box.

But everything beyond that top-end is messed up. The idle is the same as before (a little rough, but not too bad). But the bike falls on its face when I run my friend, then picks up after a half to a full second and then scoots along like it should.

Going to put the stock springs back in and set the Factory needles to the match the stock ones. Sync my carbs again, and I think (hope) it'll run normal again along with that little bit of extra pull above 7000. We'll see though.
I know this is a two year old post, but I am having the identical problem with my '98 Fireblade which also has a Factory Pro jet kit installed with 122 jets in and 120 jets out. The needles are clipped at #3 adjustment matching the stock ones. I've tried just about every setting and jet combo. Has anyone figured this out????
post #7 of 7 Old 07-24-2006, 3:40 PM

Read your other post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page