CBR '02 954 Leak current - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-21-2004, 5:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR '02 954 Leak current

The service manual says the leak current should be at MAX 0.20mA on a 954. When I measure mine ('02 954), I get a static reading of 1.28mA , that is 6x as much. Ok, its still a low number, but I feel unsafe about this.

My question: I'm looking for someone who has done this measurement and wants to tell me the reading he/she gots. Or someone who wants to measure this for me (I would be very thankful) .

Its very easy to mesure, the only thing needed is a screw driver and muli-meter. According to the service manual do this:

- Take a multi-meter and put it on 200mA - DC (20mA is also ok) . Put the red plug in the V/mA hole and the black plug in the COM hole.
- make sure your bike is turned off (remove the key to be sure)
- remove the sadle
- remove the "-" connector from the battery
- hold the red pin from the multi-meter to the disconnect '-wire' and hold the black pin of the multi-meter to the '-pole' of the battery. The number that pops up is your leak current.

Note: for people having HISS , and having it enabled (the red blinking led on the dash) only look at the reading when the led goes out. If the led goes on you will see an increase of the leak current, this is normal. I get 1.28mA when the led is out and a peak which varies between 16 and 19mA when the led goes on.

Why I need this :

Bike wouldn't start when I let it 4/5 days in the garage. Did the basic 'battery' tests the service manual says. But could not find anything wrong (besides the leak current). Before buying a new battery, I wanted to make sure, so I went to the stealership. They checked the bike and confirmed the battery was dead, so I ordered a new one. I also mentioned I had a leak currrent of 1.28mA , but they did not saw any abnormal reading. I discusses how I measured it (like I said above) and this is also the way they do it.

I wanted to show them that I got the 1.28mA but I had some other questions and finally I forgot to do this.... so right now I'm trying the new battery first, but in the mean time I would be glad to know what the story is with the leak current...

Thanks !

Last edited by errorken; 11-21-2004 at 5:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-22-2004, 1:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: CBR '02 954 Leak current

Anybody ?
post #3 of 9 Old 11-22-2004, 6:01 PM

Make sure the battery is fully charged. Disconnect the regulator/rectifier connector and then recheck the leakage current.

If the leak current is now less than 0.2mA then the regulator/rectifier is suspect and may be the reason your battery has been going flat and not charging correctly.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-23-2004, 3:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah ok, I know this, it is in the manual.

But can't someone give me their value ? Maybe its normal to have such a reading...
post #5 of 9 Old 11-23-2004, 2:39 PM Thread Starter

Could it be that the leak current in the service manual (which is in english, so I guess its the US version, if there are different versions at allready) is measured without the HISS system ?

Because, if the HISS led goes on, the leak current peaks. When its out, it is static. But, even when the led is out, the internal system is still active, no ? So could this be the explanation why I get a higher leak current ?

I would be very thankfull if someone with preferably europe bike could give me his or her readings ...
post #6 of 9 Old 11-26-2004, 7:58 AM

Sorry Bro, but finding out what other bike measures will not resolve your problem. If you tested following the manual, then you have a current leak. This is confirmed by the fact that the battery drains in a few days, a typical symptom of a current drainage. These are the two steps to follow:
1- test the charging system following the factory manual, only two parts and very simple to do. If there is a bad part, you found the problem.
2- if both parts test OK, then the current draw is somewhere else. This is the process to find the cause:
a) you want to isolate the different circuits, one at a time, and test the draw after each one is disconnected OR,
b) disconnect everything and start reconnecting one at a time and test the draw after each reconnection.

you can disconnect the circuits by removing their fuses.

this is an example of what you are looking for: (only an example)
lets assume there is a shorted lights switch
you removed the lights fuse and the current draw drops to normal, you know this is the circuit the problem is at. now you need to find the problem part. put the fuse back in and remove/or disconnect all lightbulbs and disconnect all switches, brakes, lights, all of them. test the current draw, A) if it is low, start connecting switches one at a time and testing the draw after each connection, then continue with the bulbs connection/installation and test after each one. if B) it is still high, the problem is on the wiring, on a new bike, and you have not played with the electrical system, this is a factory problem take it to the dealer. if you want to do it, you have to look for a pinched or crossed cable, to resolve, you have to follow the wiring diagrams in the manual, tracing all the light wires and testing them for ground/power.

it is not rocket science, just takes patience, detail, and some beers.

let me know what happens!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-26-2004, 4:48 PM

Probably not much use but....

When I first got my '02 954 I'd use it most days but when work required me to be away then it got left a week or two and no problem starting. Then a few months ago it had gone dead after only 4 days, recharged and all was fine, then again started going after 2 or 3 days. Did a charging check etc (no leakage though) and it all looked good so bought a new battery with the idea of replacing when the old one next died. Of course it wasn't dying even after two weeks, but then two days after this two weeks it did. Replaced with new battery and haven't had a problem since.

So I've simply put it down to a two year old battery was close to end of life, I bit short but still possible. I was once told car batteries have an expected life of 2 to 5 years so a motorcycle battery is probably less.

Magic
post #8 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 4:20 AM

Hello! I have a CBR954 from Europe. I have the same reading at 1.2mA. Indeed in the service manual it says current leakage 0.2mA. I am going to find a way to test the amperage disconnecting the battery to see i have the same leakage than the manual. For now i switch off the blinking HISS light so i guess that would help!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-31-2019, 5:38 AM

Hello!

I have the same reading 1.2mA current leakage (when the HISS is off) on a CBR954RR 2003.

I started disconnecting all the fuses and the only time that the current leakage drop is when the fan/clock fuse was disconnected.

Therefore i assume that the fan/clock electrical cables had the leak.

I disconnected the electrical cables that go to the fan and there was no change on current leakage therefore still 1.2mA.

Then i dismounted the right of the bike following the cables that go to the clock.

After finding the bunch of cables i disconnected all of them and i bridge them one by one. All the cables were giving 0mA except until i bridge the cable that it is one colored red/green.

I could see that the current passing through the cable with all the bike disconnected was 1.2mA

Once i read the hays manual it says that in instrument cluster is the item 11 therefore turn signal relay.

Does any know if turn signal relay can be changed or do i need to change all the instrument cluster (tachometer, illumination, LCD display, etc...)?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page