Fun ride with racing fuel - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 11-26-2004, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Fun ride with racing fuel

Had a fun ride today. I had a track day earlier this week and I didn't get to use the race fuel(U4) I had. So I took my
954 out for a ride with some friends to burn up the fuel. Man, it was a blast. We went down some of the twisty canyon
roads near my house. My bike already pulls like a train but the race fuel gave it an added punch. I was traveling
at a considerable speed cracked open the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground. In fact it was
hard keeping the front wheel down in general. I would power out of a turn and the front wheel would lift. I would
open it up down a straight and when the htev opened up the bike would jump, the front wheel would come up a bit
and I would get a huge grin on my face. And I have stock gearing/sprockets. I can't imagine what it would have
been like if I had gearing setup for increased torque. I can see why some folks use racing fuel almost exclusively
but at $10 per gallon it is definitely cost prohibative. Plus, I would imagine an engine would burn out sooner
if always running racing fuel. I still have some fuel left in the tank and will finish it off tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-26-2004, 11:13 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Fun ride with racing fuel

'preciate the favorable PR you're doing out there in the name of sportbike riders.

Take that **** to the track.
post #3 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 12:25 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Unless you have oxiginated race fuel; your fuel will actually give you less performance. And FYI my 929 will lift the front end w/ plain old 87 octane pump gas.

---

-Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 12:26 AM

Yep, race fuel..........for that extra 1 or 2 hp you might get on a bike thats not tuned for it. What a waste of good race gas....

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #5 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon
Unless you have oxiginated race fuel; your fuel will actually give you less performance. And FYI my 929 will lift the front end w/ plain old 87 octane pump gas.
U4 is oxygenated, and is not high octane like race fuel, its MON is only 92.
post #6 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 3:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
'preciate the favorable PR you're doing out there in the name of sportbike riders.

Take that **** to the track.
I do.

But you have no idea where I road or if there were even cars around when I was riding. So as far PR work for sportbikers you really haven't got a clue what I was doing or how I was riding in public view.

And my bike was tuned to run race fuel and hence the reason it was a blast to ride. I wouldn't say it was a big change over 91 octane gasoline but it was noticeable none the less. So if you have some extra $$...you only live once.
post #7 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 3:44 PM

How do you tune a bike to run race fuel? And is it damaging to switch back to regular if you do?
post #8 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon
U4 is highly oxygenated.
post #9 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim
I do.

But you have no idea where I road or if there were even cars around when I was riding. So as far PR work for sportbikers you really haven't got a clue what I was doing or how I was riding in public view.

And my bike was tuned to run race fuel and hence the reason it was a blast to ride. I wouldn't say it was a big change over 91 octane gasoline but it was noticeable none the less. So if you have some extra $$...you only live once.
Oh, so you had the roads blocked off by the police, so you had no chance of coming across another vehicle/person? Riiiiight....
post #10 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim
I do.

I know what roads you're talking about, and they are as likely to have traffic as any other twisty road in America (I've ridden many from the west coast to the east coast), so don't think for a minute that you're the only one in your area who uses them. Be aware, stay within your limits and the limits of your environment, so we don't have to read about heavy police targeting a favorite road of ours because of rabid riders, or your obituary in the paper.

Last edited by Latebraking; 11-27-2004 at 4:54 PM.
post #11 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 5:34 PM

I love internet arguments girls

Last edited by Gblade; 11-27-2004 at 5:37 PM.
post #12 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 7:23 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft
Oh, so you had the roads blocked off by the police, so you had no chance of coming across another vehicle/person? Riiiiight....
\

Conq, you make it sound like you've never sped in your life!!
post #13 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACI4LIFE
\

Conq, you make it sound like you've never sped in your life!!
I don't do wheelies through twisty roads where you don't know what's ahead. Do you?
post #14 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 7:35 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Conq I think you're taking it the wrong way. it sounds to me like he wasn't doing wheelies on purpose and he was riding within his limits and the only way a crash might occur is either someone crosses into his lane or there's some debris in the road but those can both lead to crashes going 10 miles under the limit. you can't really expect everyone to never go over the speed limit. he never said he was excessively speeding (although I do think he probably was which isn't good, I doubt that these twisties have such a high speed limit that you really get the bike going, I can run up to 77mph in first gear with stock gearing and regular pump gas) so I do see where you can have some issue with how he was riding but its gonna happen. so the best we can hope for is for it to be done as safe as possible and the atleast keep the big speeds to the straights.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #15 of 36 Old 11-27-2004, 7:42 PM

Quote:
I was traveling
at a considerable speed cracked open the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground. In fact it was
hard keeping the front wheel down in general. I would power out of a turn and the front wheel would lift. I would
open it up down a straight and when the htev opened up the bike would jump, the front wheel would come up a bit
Nothing safe about that on the street at all. It's not him I'm worried about. It's the poor ****er(s) he takes out while being an ass.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page