Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

roll-on with a CBR1000rr against my 954

8K views 85 replies 35 participants last post by  SilverBullet 
#1 ·
I did a roll-on from 2nd gear with my 954 against a guy with a CBR1000 and got spanked! He was still walking away from me in 4th gear. My 954 dyno'ed at 145 HP. Anybody else ever do a roll-on against the 1000 with a 954? If so what were the results? I thought it wouls be closer than it was. Tough to beat the new technology.

#34 ·
Bacchus said:
BTW, when you gonna be in Tucson again K9?
I was just there Nov 14-16th, competing in the Tucson K-9 Trials. Boris placed 1st in Narcotic Detection!!!

Ooooopppss, sorry for the thread jack!

Rick

#35 ·
Whoaa,

I leave for a few hours and come back and all you perfect citizens on streetbikes are assuming (we know what happens when you assume). Anytime I ride above and beyond the speed limit I am one of three places.

1. The race track
2. The drag strip
3. An old stretch of unused highway that my uncle owns that runs parallel to highway 67. The cops can't touch us because it is no longer government property.

I am glad we had this talk. Please dry your tears and stick to the question I posted. Thank you for your support. :crying:

#39 · (Edited)
*********This was done in a controlled area!***********

With the help of a few family friends and some very nice people we were allowed to use a runway for 1 hour.

In a controlled area...that has NO traffic, unless you count air traffic, I ran my 954 with a 1000RR. I have a full Hindle, PCIII w/ECS dyno map putting down around 143 at the wheel, and am up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. The 1000RR has a full Arrow, PCIII, and he is also 2 up n the rear. We did a few different runs.

The first was a dead stop run to a predetermined finish point. We ran this twice and both times I pulled the 1000RR by two-three bikes to the finish.

The second was a second gear roll-on from 40 MPH to the same finish point. We also ran this twice. The first run I pulled him by a bike or two right off the bat, but as the speeds picked up he pulled even. The second run I puled by a bike length and kept it that way to the finish.

The third was a 4th gear roll-on to top speed. Well I got my arse handed to me in that department. I stayed with him to the upper end of 160 and then he just started to pull me and I stopped peeking down at an indicated 183 as I was ready to shit myself. We ran twice and both time was the same outcome.

All-in-all I'd say my 954 has a better low-end hit and the 1000RR is all about the top end. It was fun and we learned a few things about our bikes, and I am now happy to know my two year old 954 holds up just fine with a new state-o-the-art 1000RR.

Dano

#40 ·
HondaGalToo said:
Yeah, Bob, how much hp does your 929 have? Cool. You have more than a pipe and PCIII though, don't you? I thought I remembered that you have Erion cams in it as well?
My 954 is pretty fast, at VIR it helped me to close on Bob, since he's much faster in the corners than me. On the front straight on North course, we were pretty close, but my wheelies were much cooler!
:eek: They were not intentional or in any way to be considered stunting, simply a byproduct of acceleration and attempting to catch Bob.

#41 ·
Good post. Long live the 954rr!!! :thumb:

ReaperAZ said:

With the help of a few family friends and some very nice people we were allowed to use a runway for 1 hour.

In a controlled area...that has NO traffic, unless you count air traffic, I ran my 954 with a 1000RR. I have a full Hindle, PCIII w/ECS dyno map putting down around 143 at the wheel, and am up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket. The 1000RR has a full Arrow, PCIII, and he is also 2 up n the rear. We did a few different runs.

The first was a dead stop run to a predetermined finish point. We ran this twice and both times I pulled the 1000RR by two-three bikes to the finish.

The second was a second gear roll-on from 40 MPH to the same finish point. We also ran this twice. The first run I pulled him by a bike or two right off the bat, but as the speeds picked up he pulled even. The second run I puled by a bike length and kept it that way to the finish.

The third was a 4th gear roll-on to top speed. Well I got my arse handed to me in that department. I stayed with him to the upper end of 160 and then he just started to pull me and I stopped peeking down at an indicated 183 as I was ready to shit myself. We ran twice and both time was the same outcome.

All-in-all I'd say my 954 has a better low-end hit and the 1000RR is all about the top end. It was fun and we learned a few things about our bikes, and I am now happy to know my two year old 954 holds up just fine with a new state-o-the-art 1000RR.

Dano

#44 ·
Bacchus said:
Um, I think 3rd gear can accomplish that. :D
I'm actually not positive but I think I can crack triple digits in second. Either I've never tried or just never paid attention. but I can do an indicated 77 in first so I assume second can get me 23 more mph.

I bet the 1000rr can get close to triple digits in first. in magazine testing the zx10r went a few miles over 100 in first.

#45 · (Edited)
BillAce said:
My 954 is pretty fast, at VIR it helped me to close on Bob, since he's much faster in the corners than me. On the front straight on North course, we were pretty close, but my wheelies were much cooler!
:eek: They were not intentional or in any way to be considered stunting, simply a byproduct of acceleration and attempting to catch Bob.
Sorry Bill, every time onto the front straight at VIR it was easy to pass you :D
HGT more than 149 :evilaugh:

#46 ·
CBRBob said:
Sorry Bill, every time onto the front straight at VIR it was easy to pass you :D
HGT more than 149 :evilaugh:

That's not the 929, that's the rider. It's easy for you to pass me anywhere! I even started leaving you room into Turn 1 because I knew you were coming. I learned a lot chasing you too! Next year I'll let you take it out, it has a functional horn so you can beep as you go by, hopefully only once.

#47 ·
ReaperAZ said:
Dano
With all due respect ---it wont---for starters, the 1000RR does NOT have the same gearing as the 954(stock)--so 2nd gear roll-ons arent a reasonable comparison--

The only real comparison is full throttle drags, ie real life situations---trust me, the RR is gonna STOMP the 954 for all kinds of reasons, I was racing against Zemke's old FX 954--didnt have anything on the 1000RR--now granted I dont know what motorwork was retained--but I am sure it was substantial, and he was running race gas, I was not. I have NEVER seen a 954/929 (built or NOT) come even close to the 1000RR.

#48 ·
Trackho said:
With all due respect ---it wont---for starters, the 1000RR does NOT have the same gearing as the 954(stock)--so 2nd gear roll-ons arent a reasonable comparison--

The only real comparison is full throttle drags, ie real life situations---trust me, the RR is gonna STOMP the 954 for all kinds of reasons, I was racing against Zemke's old FX 954--didnt have anything on the 1000RR--now granted I dont know what motorwork was retained--but I am sure it was substantial, and he was running race gas, I was not. I have NEVER seen a 954/929 (built or NOT) come even close to the 1000RR.

I'm sure 80% of these "tests" we did were very dependant on rider. On paper you can look at numbers and say this and that all day long, but like you said real life is where it shows. It just made me feel good about my bike. Now I have a friend that would most certainly whoop on me on his bone stock 1000RR on a track. Hell he's whooped me on his R6 many a times. The 1000RR should by all rights be a better bike, otherwise I don't think Big Red would have come up with it.

Dano

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.