1998 Blade Fairing Bolt Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1998 Blade Fairing Bolt Question

I have lost my front fairing bolt that is located between the position light and the headlight, that is dead centre at the front of the blade.

I have purchased a new one but when it is tightened up there is about 3 mm gap between the bolt head and fairing. I do not recall any washer to make up the gap.

The Honda dealer and I have checked the part number and it is the right one. I have swapped out the same size bolts from the rest of the fairing but all sit about 3 MM proud when put into the front location.

Has anyone struck this problem or is their a washer to go under the bolthead ?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2004, 5:43 AM

Re: 1998 Blade Fairing Bolt Question

I'll go check for you in the morning. The house is asleep except for me, even the dog on my right foot. Don't want to go stumbling through the house and into the garage right now.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2004, 6:52 AM

I have looked at the micro fiche, my service manual and my bike. There is no washer on that fastner, or any evidence of one on mine. The only thing I can think of is that the fairing is caught up on the threads and is getting pinched, making the bold seem tight, instead of sitting on the shank. That hunch is obviously a "dunno what else" thought...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2004, 4:46 PM

This is what happens when you try to help.

Took out the fairing centre bolt. Took out one of the tailpiece bolts. Compared the two. Identical.

Put back the tailpiece bolt and cross threaded it. Bastard!!

Anyway. The bolts are the same. If you cant get yours to fit I suspect one of two things.

1. The shoulder of the bolt is resting on the edge of the hole in the fairing instead of passing all the way through.
2. you have trapped a piece of the wiring harness between the fairing and the bracket.

Good luck

Bill
post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2004, 5:49 AM Thread Starter

66droptop - I will be interested in what you find when you get to have a look.

Goose - I have done the same and the dealer and both of us are none the wiser. A real mystery.

Gayblade - sorry about that but your help is appreciated. A cable caught behind would actually help. I does make me wounder if there was not something that sits under the fairing against the mounting bracket to make up the space?. I have checked the shoulder of the bolt and it is clear of the fairing hole.

There is an identical blade to mine in the next suburb so I will try and keep an eye out for it and have a look.

Thanks all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page