GP Shift- Pros and Cons - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-05-2004, 5:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

GP Shift- Pros and Cons

I started searching through this forum on this topic, but eventually just decided to bring it up and ask. I apologize if this has been covered before, but it can't hurt to bring it up again and open it up for discussion.

I am curious why people (racers included) do a GP shift vs the normal shift. Normal shift means slower upshifts since that upward movement isn't all that natural. But faster downshifts because twitching your foot downward is a rapid motion and very natural.

GP shift would provide for faster upshifts, which would help for drag racing. But coming into a corner fast, you need to drop gears in a hurry, and that awkward position in a GP shift would take longer. Or so I would think.

When accelerating, you have more time to make your shifts, and you're only making them one at a time. When decellerating, you may drop from 4th to 1st for a corner. I'd think that slapping the shifter downward in a hurry would be easier/quicker than hooking my foot under it and lifting it up three times in rapid succession.

I haven't been on the track yet (my first track day will be Jan. 23rd, hopefully) on a bike, so I'm just applying car experience to this. So if the GP shift is a benefit to rider position, this would be something I am not yet experienced with. Upshifts during an increasing radius corner would be MUCH easier with a GP shift, as would an upshift while accelerating out of a slow corner and then into a wider and quicker one.

But anyways, I'd like to hear some opinions before I overheat my brain with theoretical scenarios.

-Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-05-2004, 6:50 AM

Re: GP Shift- Pros and Cons

I dont know ****, but its do to clearances when leaned over. You dont want your foot under the shifter when leaned way the hell over. Doesnt have anything to do with speed shifting. Thats my,I dont have a clue anwser.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-05-2004, 7:07 AM

Reputation Power: 16

1. You can change gears while in a corner if you need to without having to fumble ur foot under the lever. Especially on a left hander.

Thats about the only pro i could mention
apart from if someone were to decide to try and hot wire ur bike and ride away it'd make it hard for them to take off if they didnt know about this shift style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-05-2004, 7:16 AM Thread Starter

The foot thing makes sense. I'm a rabbit-footed size 12 and have snagged my toe on the ground and gotten it yanked off the peg and under the bike. It's a good thing I've got jacked up ankles from track that are hyperlax, or it could have been something big enough to unsettle me & the bike... and we all know the potentials that raises.

Good thing I wasn't wearing my flipflops that day. I don't wear them on wheelie days. Completely kidding, guys.

Any other ideas? Keep them rolling. I'd like to weigh this out before I even begin to consider it. Oh, and a junkyard VFR shifter, and I'd be all set (found that when searching).
post #5 of 14 Old 12-05-2004, 9:23 AM

i miss a helluva lot less shifts with my GP. with my 929 i was always hitting a false neutral (maybe cause I am a puss) but when I switched it over to GP I did not have that issue. so every bike i have had since has been switched over with no problems
post #6 of 14 Old 12-05-2004, 1:30 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Matt Maladin is the only racer that I can think of that doesn't use a GP shift pattern. He seems to do ok. The only downside to a GP shifter pattern is if you go to ride someone elses bike. Too much thinking to do at my age.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-06-2004, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULEWZ
Matt Maladin is the only racer that I can think of that doesn't use a GP shift pattern. He seems to do ok. The only downside to a GP shifter pattern is if you go to ride someone elses bike. Too much thinking to do at my age.

Mladin keeps it street shift due to an ankle injury (so i've heard)

as someone previously said, mid corner shifts are much easier with reverse shifting.. on some circuits where I tend to short shift mid corner to set up for the next bend, I find it difficult with the regular shift pattern.

My F4i has had the gp shift pattern since I bought it and i've recently applied it to my blade as well (after giving the standard pattern a good long trial), I definately prefer the new shift pattern..

there is a fault with reversing the pattern on the blade using the VFR/Blackbird levers... your peg positioning is not infinitely adjustable... I find now it's either too high or too low... i leave it lower than it should be but that's cuz with my boots on, i can't bend my ankle enough to get my foot over the peg comfortably. I sacrificed 3mm of ground clearance for comfort..

if you go the gp shift route, look into fitting a gear lever from the MV AGUSTA
http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/de/ac/8e_1.JPG not sure if it works but if it does, it should help the transition over to the new pattern much quicker. I hate trying to learn something new but struggling due to a lack of comfort with it... ie a new set of leathers on a new bike...

keep us posted on how you get on..

Look, Lean, Believe..

Last edited by CBRSP2; 12-06-2004 at 9:37 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-06-2004, 11:19 AM

I tried gp at jennings early last season.....it was way too much for me to consentrate on when run at full race pace. I may not have given myselft enough time to get use to it but I'm much smoother using standard.

Only advantage I know of is left sweepers were you can upshift easier....I've not been on any tracks that I couldn't upshift on left sweepers so I sticking w/ standard.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-06-2004, 1:25 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to stay with the normal shift, or at least give it a try first. If I have troubles, then I'll think about switching. I might buy an extra lever and do some laps normal, then switch to reverse and see how that feels.

But for now, I'm going to stick with normal.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-06-2004, 7:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie

I raced my 954 for about 6 months with standard shift, halfway through the season i bought the VFR lever to try shifting reverse. I tried it on a saturday for practice and was a bit awkward at first trying fight the feeling of standard shift. But at the end of the day i was feeling confident that i could race on sunday at full speed. Well i was wrong, In my first race on the 1st lap i over shot turn 1 by a mouthful and ended up running of track. I was in the hole shot for 2nd position and im glad i didnt take anyone out as i cut across the track headed for the dirt. I did better later that day as i really had to focus on that shiffting, but now it just seems so natural to gp shift. I couldnt imagine going back to standard. Like mentioned before you really dont want your foot under the shifter when leaned over to the left. Just my 2 cents

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-06-2004, 8:00 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to CBR629

3 years on the gp shift pattern on my 929 with the best results ever in my 22 years of ridin!

IF YOU CAN'T KEEP UP,DON'T STEP UP.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-06-2004, 8:00 PM

Reputation Power: 20

I tried it during the last race weekend of the year this year. Endurance team mates were all used to GP and I wasn't. I did a track day and a race weekend on GP and still had a couple screw ups toward the end of the weekend. Endurance race went pretty smoothly but I didn't have to start the race. My first sprint race with my converted bike I was thinking to myself on the start "push down, push down, push down", then the flag when green and magically my foot found itself under the pedal jerking skyward to no avail. I must have done that 3 times before figuring out that it was GP. Lot's of placings lost but no other damage or scary moments. However I was a little worried some one would slam into the back of me as I was going considerably slower than everyone else. Turned out okay though and I will probably keep it this way (GP). Sears point has one section where GP is a definite disadvantage. It's the quick left to right uphill transition between turns 1 and 2. You have to downshift 2 gears quickly while transitioning the bike from left to right. A lot of people shift and just dump the clutch at the top of the hill while the bike is upright and then lean it in. I found that considerably more difficult with GP shifting as do other people. I know some people that have kept it standard JUST because of Sears Point/Infineon.

-Shrub

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-07-2004, 12:10 PM

I never knew anything about this "GP Style Shifting" Now I slightly wondering if that would be worth it for street riding and 0 tracktime???

That would take some serious adjustment after 10yrs of riding (dirtbikes included) to get used to 1 up 5 down I would think?

Also I like the ability to stomp the shifter down real quick rather than upshift that way.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-07-2004, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via MSN to crazycuRRie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX954
I never knew anything about this "GP Style Shifting" Now I slightly wondering if that would be worth it for street riding and 0 tracktime???

That would take some serious adjustment after 10yrs of riding (dirtbikes included) to get used to 1 up 5 down I would think?

Also I like the ability to stomp the shifter down real quick rather than upshift that way.
I was able to switch after 3 years of riding Standard. Was a bit of a mind teaser but i eventually trained myself in one race weekend. I cant see myself going back now. Just go and buy a VFR shift lever from your local Honda Dealer and try it out. Yu can always go back

WSMC 954

Sponsor: Mach 1,Chicken Hawk Racing, LP USA, Suzuki Motor Corp.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page