Calling all Micron Serpant Users - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-07-2004, 8:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Calling all Micron Serpant Users

Sup everyone just trying to get some feedback on this exhaust. My first exhaust on my bike was a Micron bolt on and I loved it, especially in the higher RPM's. Since then I have an Akrapovic full race Ti. system with a custom map and I dynoed at 146 hp. Very happy with that I might add. The only thing is that I don't really care for the sound. It sounds kinda trumpet-tee. My wife loves it, she says it sounds smoother but not un-godly loud like the D&D. The Micron has that low growl and then it opens up in the High rpm's. I know that here everyone favors the Hindle for the cost and performance. So my question is how do you like this exhaust?, does it perform well?, How's the fit?, what did you dyno at? so on snd so on. Is it worth the money. I know Dan kyle is the man and he loves Arata! Is it because he's the importer or is the Arata that much better of a pipe? I want the gains but I like a nice tone as well but not loud to attract attention ten blocks away. Pics would help also. Thanks in advance for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-07-2004, 3:08 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Calling all Micron Serpant Users

I have the Serpents, pc3r, F.P stacks, Hard Racing CAIs and other stuff. I really like my Serpents, haven't dyno'd yet but have pulled my share of liter bikes (on closed course though ).
The fitment was perfect, they're light and it has a nice deep mellow sound down low but screams up top. I believe Dan Kyle did a dyno comparo. between the Hindle, Serpents and the Arata and I think the Arata made 1 more hp than the Serpents at peak but the Serpents made like 1 more ft/lb (guys, correct me if I am wrong here).
Nothing but good things to say about them, got them from HardRacing.com and the guys there have been absolutely awesome.
Good Luck With It!
Rubber Side Down And The Tach At Redline!
post #3 of 27 Old 12-07-2004, 3:13 PM

Speed had one on his 929. It sounded good. I have a TBR bolt on and want to upgrade to the Micron or Arata when the $$$ allows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-07-2004, 7:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The Arata will be lighter, being Ti, (Serpent is stainless) and the 954's I've done here, the Micron puts a bigger dip in the bottom end than the Arata. The Microns are great, and if I can't supply an Arata, I'll recommend Micron, but the ONLY trouble I've had sometimes with the Micron is the packing and rubbers on the muffler. If you're just a basic street rider, should be no prob, but if you do alot of track days or really give the bike a hard time, often, you'll find the rubbers will blow out, the packing sometimes isn't enough and the pipe will discolour etc. The Micron does sound great though, as does the Arata. The Arata I rekon would be a little quieter at cruising speeds, but when openned up, it's louder and more powerful sounding than the Micron, in my opinion.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-07-2004, 7:46 PM Thread Starter

How much of a dip down low? Because right now I have a dip at 3500 to 4500 and it drives me crazy!
post #6 of 27 Old 12-07-2004, 11:23 PM

Went from bolt on w/ 3000-3500 dip (annoyed me) to full serpent w/ pcIII (user submitted map) and practically eliminated any dip. Love the sound/ power, very smooth, like to get it dyno'd someday. Not sure about the rubber/packing wearing out but will find out. The craftsmenship is awesome also. Haven't did anything with the flapper yet, anyone know if it helps out more? Also put Dymag wheels on same time, down 1 tooth rear, excels fast.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-07-2004, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sook
The Arata will be lighter, being Ti, (Serpent is stainless) .
Have you put them on a scale? The Hindle is lighter than the arata and is made of Stainless.

I had a Serpent. It does have the infamous dip at 3k or whatever, I didn't spend much time down there so I can't tell you much about it.

For the cost, I would just get an arata...but I'm sure you'd be happy with the Micron too.

post #8 of 27 Old 12-08-2004, 1:11 AM

First post on this website.... I have Micron full serpents with Ti cannister installed. Dyno'd before and after. PC IIIusb with Hardracing map. Produced only 6.5 hp gain and almost no torque gain over stock. Not at home right now but will post dyno results when I get back. Fit is not great but o.k. Can sits slightly crooked and pipe touches heat shield under seat. Pipes are quite light and seem well constructed. Sound quality is good to my ear.

Overall rating....

If I had it to do all over again I would probably go with Arata or Sato. I havn't bought anything from Dan Klye but he seems on the up and up. I've not yet seen a verifyable before and after Micron dyno that substantiates the claimed hp increase.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-08-2004, 1:12 AM

Reputation Power: 18

3k, thats just off idle. Why would you be rididng there? If you don't know, the stainless Serpent pipes are thin walled, they are very light! I have been told at full throttle I have a sweet sounding bike on the track. I don't notice LOL!

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #10 of 27 Old 12-08-2004, 7:36 AM

[QUOTE=BookerT]First post on this website.... QUOTE]

Welcome to the org.

Looks like you have a varied collection of bikes in the stall.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-08-2004, 8:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys that dip that you have. Have any of you had a custom map made for your bike?, And if so did they use the tuning link software to do your map? I'm just trying to find out all I can before I buy this pipe. Heck I just might just go with the Arata. Who knows. I just really don't care for the sound the Akrapovic produces, Love the power and throttle response I get though not to mention that I hit my rev limiter so much quicker now. I know It sounds picky but it's my bike.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-08-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st954luke
Hey guys that dip that you have. Have any of you had a custom map made for your bike?, And if so did they use the tuning link software to do your map?
Yes and yes. My bike had probably 10+ hours on the dyno at Dan Kyle's. We also messed with ignition mapping and advancing and retarding the cams. It's the collector design on the Serpent (and the Arata) that causes it. But I do have to admit, while we did let tuning link do it's thing for the whole map, neither one of us even bothered to talk about it as my bike was a racebike.

Hardracing sucks....I'm not surprised their maps suck too. Get your bike custom mapped by a good tuner Booker, you'll find it worth it. Not only will the peak HP go up, the throttle response will get much better.

Last edited by luvtolean; 12-08-2004 at 10:58 AM.
post #13 of 27 Old 12-08-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerT
First post on this website.... I have Micron full serpents with Ti cannister installed. Dyno'd before and after. PC IIIusb with Hardracing map. Produced only 6.5 hp gain and almost no torque gain over stock. Not at home right now but will post dyno results when I get back. Fit is not great but o.k. Can sits slightly crooked and pipe touches heat shield under seat. Pipes are quite light and seem well constructed. Sound quality is good to my ear.

Overall rating....

If I had it to do all over again I would probably go with Arata or Sato. I havn't bought anything from Dan Klye but he seems on the up and up. I've not yet seen a verifyable before and after Micron dyno that substantiates the claimed hp increase.
You need to vote in one of our site polls:

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29822

The Buell's are still at zero.
post #14 of 27 Old 12-08-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

So is it safe to say that no matter what exhaust you have for this bike it will have that 3k dip? If so why is that? Is it because of the removal of the HTEV?

Luvtolean,
Do you have the serpant on now? Do you like it and how long does the dip last? I mean if its from 3k to 35k that's not a prob but if it's 3k to 45k then that would suck. I know you don't spend much time down there but riding in the city and just cruising around town I find myself between 35 and 45k. Thanks everyone for your input and not flaming me.
post #15 of 27 Old 12-08-2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st954luke
So is it safe to say that no matter what exhaust you have for this bike it will have that 3k dip? If so why is that? Is it because of the removal of the HTEV?
Actually the Hindle has a collector design licensed (or copied) from Honda. This supposedly fixes the dip.

I sold my Serpent to a board member long ago. Mine was turned into a racebike about a month after I put the Serpent on. I didn't think the dip was a big deal, but YMMV.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page