rotors/rotating mass question? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 5:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

rotors/rotating mass question?

I have been considering getting a set of wave rotors for the 1000RR as I cannot afford rims(yet ) and was wondering if the lightend weight of the rotor(s) makes as much difference as what "they" say it does?

I have also heard that it is not wise to run aftermarket carbon rims on the road for reasons like cracking and premature wear, what do you guys recommend for a good light street rim?secondly, and are they worth the money? I plan on streeting the bike for now and then pulling track duty once the money thing gets a little more stable. I have never been on a bike that has aftermarket rims on it but I have played around with a couple of rotating mass things at the toronto science center(or what ever it is called)

Oh and by the way my new Galfer lines(fronts rear and clutch) came in the mail yesterday cant wait to get them on the bike and get riding again(in another 2-3 months )

Last edited by Northern RR; 01-11-2005 at 7:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 6:05 PM

Re: rotors/recip mass question?

I suspect wave rotors would make a small difference in the moment of inertia. If it were my money there's no way they would make enough of a difference for my street riding.

As for the rims, I'd stick to stock as well. Lighter rims will improve acceleration slightly and make the bike less stable in the wind. You also run the risk of damaging them on pot holes, so you'll have to be very careful riding on rough roads.

If it were my money I'd invest in suspension upgrades.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 6:17 PM Thread Starter

I plan on upgrading the suspension too, but I just wanted to get a feel for what everyone thinks about them rotors and rims, I can remember someone posted a pic of their new '54 rotors and they were very nice. Just wanting to get opinions from the board? you know kind of testing the waters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 6:22 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern RR
I have been considering getting a set of wave rotors for the 1000RR as I cannot afford rims(yet ) and was wondering if the lightend weight of the rotor(s) makes as much difference as what "they" say it does?

I have also heard that it is not wise to run aftermarket carbon rims on the road for reasons like cracking and premature wear, what do you guys recommend for a good light street rim?secondly, and are they worth the money? I plan on streeting the bike for now and then pulling track duty once the money thing gets a little more stable. I have never been on a bike that has aftermarket rims on it but I have played around with a couple of rotating mass things at the toronto science center(or what ever it is called)

Oh and by the way my new Galfer lines(fronts rear and clutch) came in the mail yesterday cant wait to get them on the bike and get riding again(in another 2-3 months )
Your bike sure is treated well for a guy who complains about money so much.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 6:34 PM Thread Starter

My prioritys are maybe a little screwed up...on that note, any one looking for a kidney? things are tight right now, but...I am hoping in a little while, like this summer(?), I will be able to afford some more goodies? nothing really better to do in the crap winter than think of what to do to the bike. pretty much any one in the house will tell you were my thoughts lay most of the time(with the bike). Like I said just trying to get some ideas of what people think about their stuff? nothing better to do
post #6 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 6:58 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Boy it must suck to live up north. That is, unless you enjoy skiing and riding equally.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 7:02 PM

Shine the rotors they are a waste of $$---any mass saved will be too close to the axis of rotation--so dont expect any real gains. Marchesini has some nice forged Al wheels for $1,700 (see Dan Ks site)---for street duty, I would use Al an eliminate alot of potential headaches.

BTW---its rotating NOT reciprocating mass for wheels

Last edited by Trackho; 01-11-2005 at 7:03 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 7:02 PM Thread Starter

I used to do the skiing thing a lot more, but I figured if I am going to spend that much I may as well be warm doing it the damn bike takes all of my money now... I guess that I could spend it on worse things right?
post #9 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 7:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: rotors/rotating mass question?

"Shine the rotors they are a waste of $$---any mass saved will be too close to the axis of rotation--so dont expect any real gains. Marchesini has some nice forged Al wheels for $1,700 (see Dan Ks site)---for street duty, I would use Al an eliminate alot of potential headaches"

Thanks, that is what I kinda wondered, I dont ride hard enough on the street to see the "added cooling benefits" that they supposedly offer. As for the rims I would like he carbon ones, cause they look hot, but...that is just asking for trouble I think? Anyone changed rims? how noticable is the difference? I have read a few reviews in some mags(not a common mod in the mags though?) and they really seem to like them?

Last edited by Northern RR; 01-11-2005 at 7:08 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 7:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the correction, Trackho
post #11 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 7:10 PM

Reputation Power: 32

Suspension would be on the top of my list as well. As far as wheels go, I have the OZ forged aluminum rims. They are lighter than stock, but not as light as the Marchesinis or others. The advantage, though, is that they're DOT approved, so I'm hoping that means they'll hold up to the occasional pothole. They also use the stock cush drive. The bike steers lighter with them.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 7:18 PM Thread Starter

dont know how to change the tittle? tried editing my post but...no luck any ideas
post #13 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 8:45 PM

For a streetbike and an owner with a limited budget, I'd say none of this (wheels or brakes) is warranted. Just ride it and have fun.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-11-2005, 9:30 PM Thread Starter

Fun is never a problem
I am thinking that (hopefully) I will be able to convert the RR for the track and get a something a little more touring oriented for the road? Every one seems to want a busa these days? maybe I will jump on that boat (not likely )

The whole convert the RR plan will depend on how far I am to the tracks and what I can pull with my prelude trailer wise?

I am hoping that in the next couple of months there will be better positions opening up at work that I will be qualified for, so that is why all of the questions about the bike gear.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-12-2005, 1:34 AM

My buddy runs the BST carbon wheels on his GSXR1, it is primarily a trackbike, but he does ride it on the street. He has returned two rear wheels as they had something rattling inside, then a BST came apart at a trackday destroying a $25K Ducati---heres the threadBST Debate . For street, ocassional trackday, there is just too much potential for CF to come apart I know it will incite a huge debate, but for me I would get 16.5" forged mags for my racebike before screwing with CF---for a streetbike forged Al is fine or better yet keep the stockers and get Ohlins front and rear--cost is less than the bSTs

Last edited by Trackho; 01-12-2005 at 1:37 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page