Who's taken their Blade to GMD¿ - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2005, 5:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Who's taken their Blade to GMD¿

Any racers or hardcore trackdayers taken there bike to GMD Computrack? I've got all the suspension done...ohlins 3-way w/ DKs link and new spring....DK forks.

I have a bent swingarm (off just a touch) and my tripple is slightly turned when riding straight. I don't notice it on the track but I'm sure it is effecting my lap times. Wondering about their abillities to straighten it on there frame jig...at least the swingarm. Hopefully the forks are straight and I can loosen the tripple clamps and reseat them.

..then get the chassis closer to those sweet numbers for a supersport machine...I know they offer a superbike setup package, but not ready for that just yet.

Any body have any experience with GMD? ..specifically the one in Atlanta. I've worked w/ Steve [Breckenridge?, forget his last name but he's a great guy and very fast!] at Jenngings just doing simple suspension tuning and it was well worth the 50$!!!!

I'll prolly post this on the CCS boards but was hoping some folks here could tell me more about their experience with the Hondas.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-13-2005, 5:40 PM

Re: Who's taken their Blade to GMD¿

The one locally is great. They'll definately get it straight.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2005, 6:09 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I went to the one in NY(which is actually in the middle of CT!!). Turns out it was someone I knew from a few years back on the track. He called a couple days later and told me what was up. All straight but slight twist in swingarm. If I wanted the numbers in the bike it would require nothing more than a few adjustments. That being said he didnt sell me a new linkage because he knew what I was doing with the bike on the track and that it would be fine. The bike felt a little more planted and steered slightly quicker. I was sure to put tires on that were in the middle of their wear life when I took it there. Overall, good job. One thing though, he set the suspension up and it was wayy to stiff for my tastes. A few turns later and smooth sailing!

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2005, 6:20 PM

BTW, if they want to change your suspension link, don't do it. The "sweet numbers" for the blade are pretty damned twitchy.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2005, 8:12 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

GMD in Atl (Clarkston actually) is only 20 miles from my house and I've had a lot of work done there, just haven't had any done lately. Kent is a great guy and definitely knows his stuff. He set up my '95RR back in '96 and the difference was night and day... But... that was on the street only. I've been toying with the idea of taking the 954 to him; I've just had other things to take care of first.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2005, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
BTW, if they want to change your suspension link, don't do it. The "sweet numbers" for the blade are pretty damned twitchy.
THe visual of watching that thing wiggle down the straight at T-Hill still cracks me up.

NOTE: the DK link/side plates does NOT have this effect as it doesnt "jack" the bike up--aside from suspension I cant think of a better "go-fast" part(s) for the track for the 954/929---somewheres around $200 plus a lighter spring.
BTW--GMD Milpitas is No more

Last edited by Trackho; 01-13-2005 at 11:06 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-14-2005, 1:15 PM Thread Starter

Oh I'm real happy with DK's new link and new spring....Much more balanced with the front and more compliant. MUCH more traction!!! It doesn't step out near as hard as the stock linkage.

CBRBob, Any reason you took it there with half worn tires over new tires? I assume so the sweet numbers are in the middle of the new tire to completely worn tire.... I think it would be ideal to setup the bike to handler better on worn tires so you more comfortable after they go off. You have to keep in mind the middle of the thead won't wear that much compared to the side at lean angle.

Last edited by 02FBlade; 01-14-2005 at 1:17 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-14-2005, 6:59 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02FBlade
CBRBob, Any reason you took it there with half worn tires over new tires? I assume so the sweet numbers are in the middle of the new tire to completely worn tire....
Exactly! I think I had one or 2 days on the tires when I took it. That way it will be best 80% of the time and anot just when its all new or shot out.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page