My bike is now complete! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 2:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

My bike is now complete!

I just installed my new Ohlins shock and DK reworked forks. The forks went on with neary a problem, but the shock was another thing. The manual instructions were lacking and the Ohlins instructions were also vague. Lessons learned. Pull a fairing side and put a floor jack under the headers to relieve pressure from the shock mounting bolts. When properly jacked up the bolts come right out. Remove the tank bolts and turn the tank sideways, remove the rear mounting bracket (4 bolts), and loosen the top shock nut. Drop the shock down and remove the top shock through bolt and nut, then remove the lower three shock mount bolts. I think this job is best performed with two people, but I'll bet it can be done alone if experienced.
So how do I like the mods? So far the rear shock is the most noticable. I can't believe how smooth the Ohlins is. The front DK reworked forks are better and don't dive as much, but are not as dramatic as the shock. I currently have the sag set at about 1.5 inches, which dictates to about 38mm. Maybe a little soft, but Sunday's twisty outing will tell. The Ohlins manual recommends a sag of 30-40mm with rider (rear) and 35-48mm with rider (front). Since my sag front and rear are both 38mm, I figure I am good to go. I have searched the posts about sag, but too many differing opinions have me confused. Some like less sag, some like more sag. Since I do 3-4 track days a year and ride mostly agressive street, I will see how the 38mm sags works, and go from there. If any of you have a similar experience with DK reworked fronts and Ohlins rear, please offer up your advice. FWIW, I weigh 170 lbs without gear and Dan put stiffer front Ohlins fork springs in.

Last edited by ULEWZ; 01-15-2005 at 2:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 4:40 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: My bike is now complete!

Cool, I am planning on getting the same setup. I just had DK rework my front shocks. I have to purchase the rear yet. I hear that using a scissor jack between the rear wheel and undertail is a big help in removing and install the rear shock. Where did you get your rear shock from? And how much did you pay?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 6:31 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaim
Where did you get your rear shock from? And how much did you pay?
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 7:40 AM

I've got an Ohlins shock, and my forks were resprung and re-valved by K-Tech (I'm in the UK) with 9.0N springs.

Once I'd set the sag, the only thing that I've had to mess with is the ride height front and rear. The stiffer springs mean that the bike sat a little higher at the front, so I've pulled the forks through the top yoke a few mm and also wound on some rear ride height on the shock ride height adjuster. The bike now sits higher than standard at the back and about the same up front. No ground clearance issues. I've also got the Ohlins steering damper for insurance!! It's now the best set-up bike I've ever ridden and the handling is just perfect for me.

Have any of you experimented with a 180/55 rear tyre instead of the stock 190/50 size?

Last edited by DavidW; 01-15-2005 at 7:44 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 10:21 AM

My 1000RR steers alittle quicker with a 180/55 rear tire.And its cheaper to replace.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULEWZ
I just installed my new Ohlins shock and DK reworked forks. The forks went on with neary a problem, but the shock was another thing. The manual instructions were lacking and the Ohlins instructions were also vague. Lessons learned. Pull a fairing side and put a floor jack under the headers to relieve pressure from the shock mounting bolts. When properly jacked up the bolts come right out. Remove the tank bolts and turn the tank sideways, remove the rear mounting bracket (4 bolts), and loosen the top shock nut. Drop the shock down and remove the top shock through bolt and nut, then remove the lower three shock mount bolts. I think this job is best performed with two people, but I'll bet it can be done alone if experienced.
So how do I like the mods? So far the rear shock is the most noticable. I can't believe how smooth the Ohlins is. The front DK reworked forks are better and don't dive as much, but are not as dramatic as the shock. I currently have the sag set at about 1.5 inches, which dictates to about 38mm. Maybe a little soft, but Sunday's twisty outing will tell. The Ohlins manual recommends a sag of 30-40mm with rider (rear) and 35-48mm with rider (front). Since my sag front and rear are both 38mm, I figure I am good to go. I have searched the posts about sag, but too many differing opinions have me confused. Some like less sag, some like more sag. Since I do 3-4 track days a year and ride mostly agressive street, I will see how the 38mm sags works, and go from there. If any of have a similar experience with DK reworked fronts and Ohlins rear, please offer up your advice. FWIW, I weigh 170 lbs without gear and Dan put stiffer front Ohlins fork springs in.

RE: Sag information, I've found the traxxion web site to be quite informative. I'm anxious to hear about how the new shock feels for you. I too have just gotten the Ohlins shock, and planning to send in the forks to DK for some re-working. I'm a little concerned that the turnaround time may be quite long and need to do this sooner than later. Thanks for the tips surrounding the shock install, I'll keep them in mind.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I got my shock from DK as well and it cost $959. My thinking at the time was they would set it up and respring it for my weight and riding style. When I talked to Dan (after purchase), he said the factory settings and stock spring would be fine for my weight and riding style. With that said, I would buy it somewhere cheaper next time, like RidersInc , for $929. I saw one for $919 yesterday, but can't find it again, sorry.

I also run a 180 rear tire for the quicker turnin. I have not noticed any reduction in traction with the smaller tire, and it is $20 cheaper per tire.

I tried jacking under the rear tire, but that didn't work for me. I jacked under the header at the Htev valve, and that worked great.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 1:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tignanello
I'm a little concerned that the turnaround time may be quite long and need to do this sooner than later. Thanks for the tips surrounding the shock install, I'll keep them in mind.
It took 2 weeks to get my forks back from DK, but that is because I sent them in over the Christmas holidays. He took his first vacation in 5 years. His normal turnaround time is 2 days this time of year.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 2:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you have jack stands, go to your local Home Deopt / Lowes, etc. and get a 1/2in. steel rod. Put the rod through your swingarm pivot, and place your jack stands under it.
Changing the shock will be a breeze, and all for a couple Washingtons.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-15-2005, 2:33 PM

Reputation Power: 32

I had my DK forks and Ohlins rear shock set up by an Ohlins tech. The sag he recommended was 35mm front and 28mm rear, which is what I have. Dan had recommended 36-38 front and 26-28 rear. This is for trackdays and street riding.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-16-2005, 7:28 PM Thread Starter

It was 79 degrees today, so I decided to take the blade out for a spin. The new suspension feel great, but I needed to set the rear sag better. I ended up with a front setting of 1.5 inches and 1.25 inches rear. I don't know what a lower sag setting would feel like, but this feels good on the street so far. I couldn't push to hard, as the Malibu roads are still a little dirty from 2 weeks of steady rain. I think I will keep these sag settings for now. Thanks for all your advice.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-16-2005, 8:31 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Sag should be about 1.25" front and rear, then STOP playing with the sag and just adjust the damping. Your sag should be a constant, damping is subjective. Do small changes and don't turn all the screws at once, you won't know what worked and what didn't.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page