Is it worth it - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Is it worth it

I know the best thing to do with the front end of the 54 is to olhins it, the second is to Dan kyle it ..... My plan is to open them up, put race tech springs, fresh oil close the up and go ride.

My bike as 50k on it with a lot of bouncing of the front end for many reasons.
Meaning that I was hard on the front en not that it is not behaving proprely. Is doing this going to impove the bike handeling performance or do I risk fuging up what I am used to.

One thing I have to mention is that I put a new rear shock showa standard on the back and shimmed it about 4mm to raise the rear.

Thank you.

Last edited by l'timbré; 01-16-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 12:35 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: Is it worth it

I think DK uses Ohlins springs now instead of the CrapTech. Find them and throw them in.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #3 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 12:44 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
I think DK uses Ohlins springs now instead of the CrapTech. Find them and throw them in.
Which do you have in your forks...?

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 12:55 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
One of DKs workers told me that same thing, but I talked to Dan the other day and he said he will still use RaceTech, if the Ohlins is not available. He said they both are good, but the distribution centers run out from time to time, so he uses the Ohlins and Racetech. He still likes the Ohlins best though.
post #5 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech
Which do you have in your forks...?
I'm not positive because the bike wasn't mine for the first 6000 miles but I don't think the previous owner rode it much more than straight up anyway (about 3 inch chicken strips when I got it). But I think they are stock stuff. I was just going on what I've heard about the newer Race Tech stuff not being as good as it once was.

post #6 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULEWZ
One of DKs workers told me that same thing, but I talked to Dan the other day and he said he will still use RaceTech, if the Ohlins is not available. He said they both are good, but the distribution centers run out from time to time, so he uses the Ohlins and Racetech. He still likes the Ohlins best though.
cool. I wanna send mine to him someday.

post #7 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:04 PM Thread Starter

So will I improve if I just change the spring and oil without revalving, racetech is the only thing available to me. They should be better than the progressive stock ones? Since I do not revalve should I stay on the soft side or go with stiff ones?
post #8 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:06 PM

I think its been said to stay away from the RaceTech gold valves as they wear and leave shavings in the oil.

post #9 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not positive because the bike wasn't mine for the first 6000 miles but I don't think the previous owner rode it much more than straight up anyway (about 3 inch chicken strips when I got it). But I think they are stock stuff. I was just going on what I've heard about the newer Race Tech stuff not being as good as it once was.
No offense, but why are you parroting advice in this thread when you don't particularly have any direct experience that supports it....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #10 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think its been said to stay away from the RaceTech gold valves as they wear and leave shavings in the oil.
Ya that is why I am not revalving, I just whant to know if it is better to go with racetech or put some new stock springs in my forks. Also maybe some diff grade of oil to compensate for the std valves
post #11 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:21 PM

Quote:
No offense, but why are you parroting advice in this thread when you don't particularly have any direct experience that supports it....
because you're an ass. what difference does it make whether I've done it or that I've read abot how many many people here have done it. The info is still the same regardless of who it comes from.

post #12 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:23 PM

Quote:
because you're an ass. what difference does it make whether I've done it or that I've read abot how many many people here have done it. The info is still the same regardless of who it comes from.
That's never the case....it invariably get's translated wrong....

When you know there are plenty of folks with direct experience, why cloud the issue with 3rd party info....

Call me an ass if you like, but this is a pet peeve of mine, and you are really good at it...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #13 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:27 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'timbré
Ya that is why I am not revalving, I just whant to know if it is better to go with racetech or put some new stock springs in my forks. Also maybe some diff grade of oil to compensate for the std valves
From what I've been told by DK, the stock springs are good if you weigh 150lbs. Depending on your weight, it would be money well spent to replace them. I noticed a big improvement when I did.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #14 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:34 PM

Quote:
That's never the case....it invariably get's translated wrong....

When you know there are plenty of folks with direct experience, why cloud the issue with 3rd party info....

Call me an ass if you like, but this is a pet peeve of mine, and you are really good at it...
so just because I relay the info from someone else that has done it means its bad? I never want anyone to just go and do something because this person or that person says to. Get as much info as possible, research is the best thing you can do.

If I said to people to buy a full hindle or full arata system to get as much power as you can for a 929/954, what difference does it make that I only have an erion slip on? the info is the same regardless. Its not like I'm giving vague info on some obscure stuff. This stuff has been talked about many times before so most people on this site will give you the same info. And I did say "I think DK..." the crap tech part was more of a joke than any kind of fact.

Just because one person hasn't done it and they talk about it doesn't mean its not true. I'm just throwing out suggestions for the guy.

oh yeah and if it bothers you I'm glad it does. give me **** when I give wrong info, thats fine. And I have admitted to stuff when I find out I'm wrong. So just deal with it by yourself.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 01-16-2005 at 1:37 PM.
post #15 of 90 Old 01-16-2005, 1:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
From what I've been told by DK, the stock springs are good if you weigh 150lbs. Depending on your weight, it would be money well spent to replace them. I noticed a big improvement when I did.

Thanks Man, did you stay with the same grade of oil? Do you know if I need special tools to do this? I looked in the service manuel and is seems like a simple task... did you have to do some cutting? Did you go with crap teck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page