929 SS Front brake line quick ? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-09-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 SS Front brake line quick ?

OK I know this is a dumb a$$ question but I need help so here goes. I put new SS front/rear brake lines, new washers and speed bleeders on a few weeks ago. Through my infinate laziness I never got around to re-filling the brake fluid and bleeding the lines. So tonight I went ahead and started with the rear. All was well with the rear. Nice feel, no prob......

Now to the front.. After filling the resevoir with fluid, I opened the speed bleeder on the right side to start bleeding the lines. Though looking for a climax of fluid rushing out of the line, nothing happened .... Tried the left side still nothing ... OK went to the top banjo bolt and tried to bleed the lines there... Still nothing.. WTF is the problem. It's almost like there is something stopped up or just not lined up correctly... so I un installed the top banjo, used my last 3 new washers up top (good thing I ordered extra) and re-installed the lines... STILL NOTHING...

So out of all that crying I have been doing, I'm looking for help... Oh and as for the dumb question, I should be using 3 crush washers on the top banjo bolt correct?!?!?!? One on the outside, one to seperate the lines and one where the banjo bolts meets the "holder" right????

BTW- I reviewed Conq's KB on the install and I think I haven't screwed it up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: 929 SS Front brake line quick ?

You have to prime the system before the Speedbleeders will work. Remove the Speedbleeders and put the stock bleeders back on and bleed the system until you get fluid flowing through both lines. Once you have the lines full of fluid you can reinstall the Speedbleeders and bleed the system again. Finish up with a final bleed at the top banjo to get the last of the air out and you should be good to go.

...and yes, you use 3 crush washers on the top banjo.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
You have to prime the system before the Speedbleeders will work. Remove the Speedbleeders and put the stock bleeders back on and bleed the system until you get fluid flowing through both lines. Once you have the lines full of fluid you can reinstall the Speedbleeders and bleed the system again. Finish up with a final bleed at the top banjo to get the last of the air out and you should be good to go.

...and yes, you use 3 crush washers on the top banjo.
Well, it worked..... Thanks RR for the insite on the speed bleeders. Now to let it set overnight with the brake lever pulled back with the zip tie.. It's already is faster and stops better...

Last edited by VA929RR; 03-10-2005 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 1:54 AM

I don't understand how you guys bleed them from the master? I thought you weren't supposed to loosen that bolt once it's been tightened (crush washers)?

The thing w/ the zip tied brake lever....do you just let it sit like that overnight and then cut the zip tie, and re-bleed the brakes to get the most out?

And since we're talking brake bleeding, which is a better method, speedbleeders or mityvac?

post #5 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 6:22 AM

Reputation Power: 32

The Galfer lines, at least, come with a bleeder bolt at the master cylinder. You bleed that one last to get the last bit of air out, it works great! I've heard that you can't use SpeedBleeders with dry lines, that they have to be primed first. However, I was too lazy to take the SpeedBleeders back out, so I just got things started with a Mityvac and did 'traditional' bleeding from there. The Mityvac is good at getting things going, but it seems to suck through air, too. I prefer bleeding the good old fashioned way for the most part.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 8:43 AM
Administrator

Glad it worked for you VA.

Scratch, I've got a bleeder at the master so I don't have to worry about the crush washers. I wouldn't suggest loosening/tightening the banjo at the master more than once or twice if possible. You'll know if the washer needs replacing if you see any fluid leaking.

I usually tie the lever back for the night and give the system one last bleed at the master the next day to get the very last bubble out. The Mity-Vac comes in handy to quickly prime new lines, but I just use the Speedbleeders.

post #7 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
The Galfer lines, at least, come with a bleeder bolt at the master cylinder. You bleed that one last to get the last bit of air out, it works great! I've heard that you can't use SpeedBleeders with dry lines, that they have to be primed first. However, I was too lazy to take the SpeedBleeders back out, so I just got things started with a Mityvac and did 'traditional' bleeding from there. The Mityvac is good at getting things going, but it seems to suck through air, too. I prefer bleeding the good old fashioned way for the most part.
Not all Galfer kits come with that top bleeder bolt at the master, gal. My FZ1 kit did; my new busa kit did not.

I am in 100% agreement with you on the Mitivac. I use mine to quickly prime the lines, but that's about it. I go the old fashioned way to finish things off.

Btw, I love the new Speedbleeders. They rock.

Scratch, IMHO, the main idea with tying back the brake lever is to allow any tiny bubbles remaining in the system to escape up and out into the fluid cup. In theory then, there is no reason for a 'final bleed' the next morning.

I tie mine back, give a few raps to the caliper and lines from bottom to top, then come back in the a.m. to a typically rock-hard lever.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
Not all Galfer kits come with that top bleeder bolt at the master, gal. My FZ1 kit did; my new busa kit did not.
Huh. Odd. They used to not come with the 929 kits, and now they do. Maybe they do it by bike model, or by when the kit was first manufactured. Who knows?

Scratch, you can order these probably through Street & Comp, but I may have an extra.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 1:39 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

I have the galfer lines but haven't put them on yet. So when I do all the bleeding after getting them on and do the zip tie lever thing. The next day when I take it off and crack the banjo bolt, thats just the bolt that holes the lines onto the master cylinder right? And I assume I just crack it a little until some fluid comes out?

this cold weather snow crap has to stop. but no more snow tomorrow. I'm moving to where its warm.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
I have the galfer lines but haven't put them on yet. So when I do all the bleeding after getting them on and do the zip tie lever thing. The next day when I take it off and crack the banjo bolt, thats just the bolt that holes the lines onto the master cylinder right? And I assume I just crack it a little until some fluid comes out?

this cold weather snow crap has to stop. but no more snow tomorrow. I'm moving to where its warm.
Unless you have a bleeder bolt at the master cylinder (it'll have the nipple on the end like the bleeder bolts at the caliper end), then no, you probably shouldn't open that. I guess you can bleed by untightening that bolt, but it's not the best idea. First of all, it'll make a mess, and second of all, you shouldn't undo it a lot or you'll need new crush washers. Did your Galfer line kit include a bleeder bolt for the master cylinder? If so, then it works like the others, where you put a tube on it and bleed it like you'd bleed the ones at the calipers.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 2:16 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

The 1000rr has a bleed nipple at the master... Should I bleed that?

My front brake is still a bit mushy after my ss install and much much bleeding.

And then there's this asshole...
post #12 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 2:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobiaphobe
The 1000rr has a bleed nipple at the master... Should I bleed that?

My front brake is still a bit mushy after my ss install and much much bleeding.
Yes...check the KB or do a search for the brake bleeding procedure by abtech. Follow it and you'll have very firm brakes.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-10-2005, 4:37 PM

Reputation Power: 23

One additional hint when changing lines...

The aftermarket banjo bolts are not the same material as the stock bolts. Therefore...do not use the factory torque recommendations!

If you really, really look carefully, the torque figures should come with the aftermarket lines. I know that Galfer supplies that information with their product on the back of the package.

If you are reading this after having overtorqued a banjo bolt, an easy out works great! Assuming you have not yet disposed of the factory banjo bolt, just use it and a new crush washer to factory specs.

That is all.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page