Cut the Cone - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-12-2005, 5:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Cut the Cone

After debating on cutting the exhaust cone on the 954 out of curiosity to see what would happen(I knew it would not hurt anything), I finally did it. It was definitely worth a small gain all around- especially on top. I took my erion bolt on off, and cut it with a hacksaw, leaving about 1 inch on the flange. I noticed a small gain up top and thru the powerband, NO lumpy idle down low , which I was scared of. Definitely sounds meaner now, so after looking at many posts,

I WOULD ADVISE anyone who thought about doing it, you should take a few minutes and hack it off because the cone may not work directly with the HTEV, I know it definiteky helped my bike and works real well with the Erion pipe at least , made a little difference at no cost, no negatives, and I dont have a PCIII. If your gonna get a bolt on, CUT THE CONE!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I post it because Im happy with the minimal results and if anyone was debating on doing it or not, maybe this will help you decide....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-12-2005, 6:48 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: Cut the Cone

hmmm I too have an Erion bolt on. I didn't put it on so I don't know if it still has the cone but I think it does because the dealer I bought it from originally sold it with the pipe on it to the first buyer. Maybe I'll do that this spring.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-12-2005, 7:54 PM

I would cut that biatch off without a second of hesitation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2005, 8:14 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to stopsign Send a message via Yahoo to stopsign

i did it along time ago and never noticed a difference

I don't kill flies but I like to mess with their minds. I hold them above globes. They freak out and yell, 'Whoa, I'm way too high!'
post #5 of 10 Old 03-13-2005, 4:52 AM

Reputation Power: 15

I have my pipe at the table and i was looking at the cone. Looks like there is two set of welds, one is holding cone, and other is holding short tube, cone is welded to the short tube. So you can cut the cone, or remove the cone and the short tube too. Probably cutting both off, would make the pipe better and lighter. i'm gonna probably cut them both off.

Jaket
post #6 of 10 Old 03-13-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeT
I have my pipe at the table and i was looking at the cone. Looks like there is two set of welds, one is holding cone, and other is holding short tube, cone is welded to the short tube. So you can cut the cone, or remove the cone and the short tube too. Probably cutting both off, would make the pipe better and lighter. i'm gonna probably cut them both off.

Jaket
yeah the first inch is where the cone was welded on, the cone isnt even real heavy , probably less than half of a pound, but looks like an extra noise dampener to work with the stock muffler somehow. I left an inch on because i figured it would help minimize leaks and was the same diameter as the pipe anyway. Honda probably used that as an extra baffle because if someone wants the bike a little quieter, it will be....the cone is quite odd looking to, never seen anything like that before, but the HTEV still gives me my great midrange, with a little more power up top....i also use gasket sealer with the stock gasket, works great , no leak at all
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2005, 11:25 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopsign
i did it along time ago and never noticed a difference
Ditto.

I felt better about taking off that 1/2lb tho.

---

-Rob.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-14-2005, 11:06 AM

Reputation Power: 20

i cut the cone off the 929, and it actually smoothed out the ride. A little less vibrations on the bike now. Don't know about any power gains though. I haven't dynoed it since.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-14-2005, 2:49 PM

I seem to remember this being dyno'd long ago and it not being worth any HP. Noise does funny things to the "butt dyno".

Glad you like it though.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-14-2005, 2:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
I seem to remember this being dyno'd long ago and it not being worth any HP. Noise does funny things to the "butt dyno".

Glad you like it though.
Thanks..that is true-but you cant feel 2-3 HP anyway, if it even gives you that..but the powerband feels smoother minus the noise...i guess it is worth the 5 minutes to hack it off, bike sounds a lot better.....definitely gained a few on the BUTT dyno at least I guess (I'm just very bored lately)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page